Sunday's Detail

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunday's Detail

Spent Sunday working on this beast. 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 Crew Cab. Black. Of course. Truck belongs to the boyfriend of someone I work with.

Truck has about 14k on the ticker, but has been ” lovingly” cared for by the local car wash, and a friend of the guy’s who offered to get rid of those spots on the hood with a little compound.

This truck was tricky to work on. The owner told me that the right rear door had been repainted, but upon inspection before I started on it, I noticed that both right side doors, the rear driver’s side door AND the tailgate had all been repainted, either partially or completely. Since I didn’t have a paint thickness gauge handy, I was a little leery about working on the whole truck with the rotary. I decided to attack the mess on the hood with the DeWalt, and the rest of the panels with the G100.

Process was:
Wash with Gold Class
Clay Bar

Hood:
Meg’s #80 using an Edge 8” Green pad and the DeWalt @ 1400
Menzerna Final Polish II (FP) using a 8006 pad on the G100 @ 5
Tropi-care TC-3 using a 9006 pad on the G100 @ 4

Rest of the Truck:
Menzerna Intensive Polish using a 8006 pad on the G100 @ 5.5
Menzerna Final Polish II (FP) using a 8006 pad on the G100 @ 5
Tropi-care TC-3 using a 9006 pad on the G100 @ 4

I did try a new product out on the rubber step pads on the westin bars. Adam’s In & Out Spray. IT did a good job of making the pads black again, and was not slippery at all, even after I sprayed it down with water, just to check. I used some more of it on my Screw, so I can see how it lasts.. but first impression is positive.

Here are a few before and after pictures. I tried to get some afters in the sun, but the storm clouds made It difficult. The owner of the truck showed up a little early, and in my rush to get everything done, I realized later that I didn’t take any after pics of the entire truck.

Last edited by Gipraw; 10-16-2007 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Sunday's Detail: After Pics

Here are some after pics:

Old 10-16-2007, 12:10 AM
Gip

Very nice. As expected from a vet like you.

first time in a long time I have seen a Tropi-care product post.

I have been courted by Steve locally to give their products a try. He has sent me samples but I gave them to Ryan, What are your thoughts? Given you listed on the TC-3, have you tried others?

Menzerna is another product I have been wanting to try as I know they work well on ceramic paints.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:15 AM
Nice job. Love to see black clean up like that.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice work there, Gip.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
I have been courted by Steve locally to give their products a try. He has sent me samples but I gave them to Ryan, What are your thoughts? Given you listed on the TC-3, have you tried others?

Menzerna is another product I have been wanting to try as I know they work well on ceramic paints.
Steve is a great guy. Always has time for questions, and has been pretty receptive to suggestions and comments.

I like the TC-3, especially after two coats. Lots of durability, but deeper shine than some other sealants. Easy to use.

the TC-8 works well, but I always seem to find something I want to use more. It is sort of an in between for me .. not as much cut as the IP or #80, but more than the FP or something like #9. It does really well on softer clear coats.

I am not a fan of the spray detailer, or the car wash. I have a sample of the liquid wax Steve sent me, but haven't had time to try it out. I also like the waffle weaves he carries.

I hadn't used the Menzerna in a bit. I really like the stuff, and would probably use it more often if it wasn't so expensive, per use.

Old 10-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Nice work there, Gip.
thank you sir ..

I had more fun on this one than the 99 explorer with 260k that I did later in the day .. something along the lines of "you can't polish a turd"

Old 10-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Looks amazing Gip, hope I can get my black beast looking half that good. Not to hi-jack the thread, but how do you reach the center portion of the hood near the windshield on taller trucks? I'm 6'3" and I don't think I'll be able to reach that spot with my PC when it shows up. Do you use a step ladder and lean up against a towel or something else? Sorry for the extreamly noob question.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Old 10-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperEXC
Looks amazing Gip, hope I can get my black beast looking half that good. Not to hi-jack the thread, but how do you reach the center portion of the hood near the windshield on taller trucks? I'm 6'3" and I don't think I'll be able to reach that spot with my PC when it shows up. Do you use a step ladder and lean up against a towel or something else? Sorry for the extreamly noob question.
i use this

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...step&noImage=0

Old 10-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use these:

Old 10-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
I use these:

Ahahahahhahahh

As much as I love the idea RP... I'm going to have to go with LaVaDog or RR. RR, what is the weight limit on the tire step, I have to make sure it is strong enough to hold up my 300 pounds of twisted steel and sex appeal. I like the tire step, but I may have to go with the platform because of the 330 pound weight limit, I can gain another 30 pounds before it would dump me on my a$$.

Last edited by ThumperEXC; 10-16-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
Here are some after pics:

Looks great... I wish I lived closer bc I pay you to take care of my truck. Mine is in need a of a really good cleaning.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Insane job! How much would you charge for this?

Old 10-16-2007, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
and a friend of the guy’s who offered to get rid of those spots on the hood with a little compound.
I bet after you were done he wanted to punch his friend in the mouth.

Looks great.

Quick Reply: Sunday's Detail