My First Experience Using a Clay Bar

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My First Experience Using a Clay Bar

Well, I just tried out using a clay bar on my truck this afternoon, before waxing. Before today, I had never heard of such of a thing. Anyway, it's amazing the difference it made. I can't believe how smooth the truck felt after I was done. I was worn out though.

A couple of questions. 1) How often do you guys use the clay bar on your truck? 2) How long does it take you do it? I did the entire vehicle and it took forever,

Last edited by mklein49; 10-14-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:57 PM
Suspended
About 3-4 times a year is enough for me. It usually takes 2hrs to do the whole thing. The time really comes down to how bad your OCD is

Old 10-14-2007, 10:36 PM
I find that once it is done WELL the first time (1.5 hours or so), then it gets easier as long as you maintain it (I do it 2-3 times a year), and I can get around it all in 45 minutes or less.

Usually, the first time is a bear, and it seems like it will never end...

Old 10-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Ok. 3-4 times will be more than enough for me. I'd say it took me around 2 hours to get it done too.

What's the best way to test the OCD? Just run your hand on the truck?

Old 10-14-2007, 10:52 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mklein49

What's the best way to test the OCD? Just run your hand on the truck?
LMAO !!!

I love this thread - great first post and truck looks terrific!

BTW - Google OCD --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessi...lsive_disorder but - you knew that already lol

Cheers
Bubba

Old 10-14-2007, 11:25 PM
Looks great.

You said you clayed before waxing...did you not polish?

Just wondering....

I clay when I think its needed, 4-6 times per year.

Agree with Ryan, once done the first time, and cared for properly, like anything, its not as bad....given you don't live hear an Airport with Jet A raining on you everyday or under trees that drop sap all day and night.

Cheers

JP

Old 10-14-2007, 11:35 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mklein49
1) How often do you guys use the clay bar on your truck?
The ULTRA-SIMPLE answer to this one is -- as needed. Some environments will add cause for you to use it upwards of 10+ times per year (very rare circumstances) whereas other environments will yield a situation where you may not need to do it more than once or twice per year. The ultimate decision maker is YOU. Assess your paint regularly and, now that you've seen what the clay will do, assess it with specific regard to the 'feel' of the paint. If you need to clay, clay.

2) How long does it take you do it? I did the entire vehicle and it took forever,
The initial clay application on some vehicles will take a while -- especially if they've got a bunch of 'stuck on' contamination that is a booger to remove. It sounds as though you may have been one of those vehicles. The long and short of it is that you did the long part and from this point forward, pending that you're doing it as needed, it'll be much shorter. Maintenance is much more simplistic than the intial.

Lastly, remember that CLAY ISN'T WAX. Clay offers NO protective qualities as it's simply a step involved in proper PREPARATION of the paint for polishing and ultimately waxing. So, if you haven't, at a minimum, re-waxed, it's time to do that -- very soon.

-RP-

Old 10-15-2007, 08:19 AM
yup, as needed. If I've been playing on the river, hunting, farming, etc... I may do it every couple months. If not my be 4 or 5 months. Just whenever I can feel that it needs it.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:09 PM
I use it every time I wax which is 3-4 times a year.

My process is to first wash the truck with dish soap which strips off any old wax.

Then, get the Quik Detailer and claybar and go to town on it. Use plenty of the Quik Detailer to keep the surface wet. I do one major section (like a fender) and then move to the next section.

After that's done, it's time for another wash with the dish soap

Now that the paint is glass smooth it's time to wax.

I get funny looks from the neighbors when I wash my truck twice within an hour or so but the results are amazing! After this, I only use car wash soap as the dish soap would strip off your hard work of waxing right away.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by klc317
I use it every time I wax which is 3-4 times a year.

My process is to first wash the truck with dish soap which strips off any old wax.

Then, get the Quik Detailer and claybar and go to town on it. Use plenty of the Quik Detailer to keep the surface wet. I do one major section (like a fender) and then move to the next section.

After that's done, it's time for another wash with the dish soap

Now that the paint is glass smooth it's time to wax.

I get funny looks from the neighbors when I wash my truck twice within an hour or so but the results are amazing! After this, I only use car wash soap as the dish soap would strip off your hard work of waxing right away.
KLC317, not really any of my business but you didn't list any polish step in your process. I find it hard to believe that there isn't any marking in your paint. Wax isn't really going to cover that up. Just wondering.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
KLC317, not really any of my business but you didn't list any polish step in your process. I find it hard to believe that there isn't any marking in your paint. Wax isn't really going to cover that up. Just wondering.
well...he didnt exactly say that his paint was perfect, though... But yes, I was thinking the same thing. (Unless he is using a Cleaner wax, in which case it would reduce it enough so that he may not be looking for the problems so much...)

KLC317-- This may sound really harsh, but I am meaning it only to be an inquiry (read: not meant to be offensive or attacking): Do you know what we are talking about when we say swirls and such? Also, Do you look for them, or do you merely notice when they are really bad?

The reason why I ask is that most people dont look for swirling-- they only see it when it gets horrible. SO...They think their car is perfect, but they failed to notice the big thing we detailers battle. (Its a war of attrition-- The swirls keep coming back, yet we keep removing them. Eventually, either we are going to get tired of combating them-- they win-- or we will remove all the clear--we kinda' win, both loose-- or somebody comes out with a self-healing clear coat--we win)

Old 10-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by f-150sport03
well...he didnt exactly say that his paint was perfect, though... But yes, I was thinking the same thing. (Unless he is using a Cleaner wax, in which case it would reduce it enough so that he may not be looking for the problems so much...)

KLC317-- This may sound really harsh, but I am meaning it only to be an inquiry (read: not meant to be offensive or attacking): Do you know what we are talking about when we say swirls and such? Also, Do you look for them, or do you merely notice when they are really bad?

The reason why I ask is that most people dont look for swirling-- they only see it when it gets horrible. SO...They think their car is perfect, but they failed to notice the big thing we detailers battle. (Its a war of attrition-- The swirls keep coming back, yet we keep removing them. Eventually, either we are going to get tired of combating them-- they win-- or we will remove all the clear--we kinda' win, both loose-- or somebody comes out with a self-healing clear coat--we win)
<Start Hi-jack>

Sorry for the very brief hijack, but if I close my eyes and read RP's, RR's and f-150sport03's posts ... the diction, syntax, vernacular, delivery and droll 'tongue-in-cheek' subliminal humour sound virtually identical.

So - either it's the same guy, triplets, or the result of detailing-induced OCD, breathing wax dust and being immersed in RFI from DA's.

<End Hi-jack>

OP - you really need to use that stuff that comes from Poland, lol.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:43 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nah. I'm not the other two. I mean, have you seen RR? Who would want to be that guy?

LOL!

*hides*

-RP-

Old 10-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
<Start Hi-jack>

Sorry for the very brief hijack, but if I close my eyes and read RP's, RR's and f-150sport03's posts ... the diction, syntax, vernacular, delivery and droll 'tongue-in-cheek' subliminal humour sound virtually identical.

So - either it's the same guy, triplets, or the result of detailing-induced OCD, breathing wax dust and being immersed in RFI from DA's.

<End Hi-jack>

OP - you really need to use that stuff that comes from Poland, lol.
LOL, the reason....RockPick is the Master, we are just Jedi's in training.

Old 10-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
LOL, the reason....RockPick is the Master, we are just Jedi's in training.
Ahhh... complete with microfiber robes... I must be a crappy stoodent, then, 'cause I ain't ever gonna be talkin' like dat lol!

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 10-15-2007 at 11:03 PM.

Quick Reply: My First Experience Using a Clay Bar