Best way to take care of spider-webbing in clearcoat? :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to take care of spider-webbing in clearcoat? :)

So I've got some really bad spider-webbing looking scratches going on in my clearcoat.

The deep crystal paint cleaner really didn't help too much, and I have some pictures to show it, but they BARELY show anything of how bad it is. I never realized how bad it was because its been so long since we had really intense sun, and now that it is, its really bad swirl marking.

If you look closely you can see some in there....

Old 09-09-2007, 03:07 PM
And look at this gem i found in my garage storage....It has to be at least like 10 years old, can anyone identify this orbital polisher? Is it good? Can it be used? Do they make stuff to fit this still?

Just wondering if this is still something that is somewhat usable still :P

Old 09-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Favre....you are playing well right now BTW...I hope you beat the Eagles.

Anyway

2 things.

1. PUT THAT THING AWAY it looks nasty (almost looks like a wool pad on it too)
2. DeepCrystal isn't going to remove those markings. You will need to use something a little more aggressive. Like Megs#80 or Optimum Polish or Compound or my fav stuff Poorboys SSR's.

From the photos, it doesn't look that bad. You'll get great results if you used a G100 or PC DA 7424 with a cut pad. (yellow or white)

Zariman has had some good results using #80 by hand. He may chime in.

I don't do anything but wax by hand (that sounds weird huh?) everything else is applied with a DA.

Cheers

JP

Edit...don't forget to use the search feature in this section on this topic. Lots of data in here.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Kudos to Green Bay. I'm typically a big fan of any team playing the E-Gulls.

As for the RO that you found in your garage... I'm sure it could be used but, I doubt many - if any - are going to be intimately familiar with that brand/style/version as it does look quite dated.

One thing is for sure -- don't use it in its current physical state. That 'pad' - if we may call it that - looks crazy and would likely cause a MUCH bigger problem than what you'd solve using it. IE: for now, go by hand or purchase another machine.

As for pads and such that would fit that machine -- tough call. How does that backing plate attach to the machine? Also, how do the pads affix to the plate? What size plate?

A quick call to Meg's customer service might help you out a tad on matching a plate/pad combo that could feasibly work with your application. Best of luck!

-RP-

Old 09-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
... and, like RR mentioned, DC may get a tad of problems but will fall pretty short on most issues short of VERY light swirling or oxidation.

That said, from what I'm seeing, Meguiar's or Mother's Cleaner Wax may actually do the trick.

Remember, it's not so simple as to simply wipe it on and wipe it off as the product needs some 'working' to do the work necessary to either even out the paint or to fill the fine-line swirls/scratches.

-RP-

Old 09-09-2007, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock

Zariman has had some good results using #80 by hand. He may chime in.

I don't do anything but wax by hand (that sounds weird huh?) everything else is applied with a DA.
You almost got it right... Anyways, #80 by hand will take care of lots of that, but not all of it. By lots of it, I mean, you won't really notice unless you get down and look at it closely. The average Joe won't notice the spider webbing... Also, it might be worth topping with some #7 Show Car Glaze, it seems to be more a cover-up, so it works better when doing stuff by hand.

Oh, and like RR, I only apply the wax by hand. I use a buffer for everything else when I can use it... If not, then everything is done by hand...

Old 09-09-2007, 06:51 PM
I had no intent of using that oribtal polisher in the state it was in, but after looking at it, it looks like a pad that just slips over the plate....odd.

It says 8" orbital polisher on it anyhow.

I've been doing everything by hand, What is Meg's #80?

Sorry if thats a stupid question, sometimes I see stuff referred to as Megs (Name) or as Megs (Number)

Does #80 have a name?

Thanks, Favre

Old 09-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Favre
I had no intent of using that oribtal polisher in the state it was in, but after looking at it, it looks like a pad that just slips over the plate....odd.

It says 8" orbital polisher on it anyhow.

I've been doing everything by hand, What is Meg's #80?

Sorry if thats a stupid question, sometimes I see stuff referred to as Megs (Name) or as Megs (Number)

Does #80 have a name?

Thanks, Favre
#80 = Speed Glaze
#7 = Show Car Glaze
#26 = High Tech Yellow Wax

Quick Reply: Best way to take care of spider-webbing in clearcoat? :)