Boar's Hair brush review

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boar's Hair brush review

I recently ordered a boar's hair brush from Tropi-care. For the most part I was very impressed. The bristles are very soft, so it takes a little extra scrubbing to remove bugs. I have seen these brushes on Autogeek as well. I don't know about ya'll, but I love to have a brush on a long handle to reach the windshield, hood, and top of the cab on these trucks. I'm only 5'9" so it's nearly impossible without one. Anybody else using a brush on your truck?

Old 06-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't own one of the Boar's Hair brushes but, I have used one. All in all, they're nice. They're pricey though...

While I was using it, I still found myself wishing I had a mitt because of the lack of ability to 'flex' the brush to work into tight crevasses and such.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
found myself wishing I had a mitt because of the lack of ability to 'flex' the brush to work into tight crevasses and such.
I feel the same way. I went back over the front of the truck, the area around the mirrors, and the space between the cab and bed with my mitt. I just have to have a long handle to reach the higher areas on my truck (top of cab, windshield, etc.)

Old 06-06-2007, 08:00 PM
Suspended
Hmm, I might have to pick one up. It's a lot easier on my back. I'll just use the mit for the tigher places and the front end.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:45 PM
I've always wanted to use a mitt, but have been afraid of straight line scratches...

We use a (much cheaper) brush on the Fire apparatus at the Station, but with the way those things are treated, they're in HORRIBLE shape paintwise. To a detailer that is. To the untrained eye, they are purdy red trucks...

Speaking of which (Not to steal the thread), my project for the summer months is to detail ALL of the Fire apparatus (3 brush trucks, 1 tanker, 1 Squad/Chief/Command F-250, 3 ambulances, and 1 engine/Pumper.) This will be an EXTREMELY time consuming process, but to all of you rookie detailers out there, it would be helpful. Fire departments (esp. VFD's) like to have people wash the trucks for community service, and sometimes give 2 for 1 hours, so if you want to do something good, and get a lot of experience with a D/A, rotary, or any new product, a FD is the place to go. They will not notice ANY swirls (no matter how bad), most scratches, or anything like that. Remember, they're used to driving in places where trees scrape down the entire truck. Also, they wash with way too concentrated soap and nylon bristled brushes. The wax they apply is removed with each wash due to excessive concentration of soap, and the water is often used for all apparatus. This is all said to say that you shouldn't worry about "messing up the paint" on those things. They'll be replaced soon anyways. (I can provide a timescale of the replacements for TX if you wish).

Have fun!

Old 06-07-2007, 11:39 AM
I use a brush strictly for the top of the truck, the tonneau cover and the back window. Everywhere else on the truck I use a mitt only.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wxscpo
I use a brush strictly for the top of the truck, the tonneau cover and the back window. Everywhere else on the truck I use a mitt only.
This is a little different beast than the standard 'brush'. Boar's hair, to my recollection, is hollow and is ULTRA soft. Even on my black truck, I wouldn't hesitate to use it. It falls short, though, when you talk about washing crevasses and nooks/crannies. You just can't get it in to those tight spaces.

They are definitely pricey though... I'm not sure about long term durability either.

I've read where certain ones are better than other ones but, from a brands standpoint, I don't know the specifics. Some guys swear by them... others kind of have the attitude that I have (which is basically that they're nice, safe, but VERY pricey and durability is questionable).

-RP-

Quick Reply: Boar's Hair brush review