Compound crap!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Compound crap!

i used some compound on my moms truck the other day. ive done it several times to my truck and never had a problem with it. but for some reason it left this swirl marks, almost like scratches in the paint. im not sure what i did wrong. could it be because its a chevy?

Old 03-04-2007, 11:40 PM
What color is your mom's car?

Old 03-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Thumbs down Chevy Paint

Originally Posted by MmmBuckles
i used some compound on my moms truck the other day. ive done it several times to my truck and never had a problem with it... could it be because its a chevy?
You may be closer to the truth than you think. I'll probably get flamed by the Chevy lovers, but it has been my experience that the paint on Chevy trucks is really poor. My wife has a black 2003 S-10 that has the world's worst paint on it. I'm probably going to have to get the hood and most of the front end repainted. When I traded my black 2002 F-150 in December, the paint on it was still in much better shape than on my wife's S-10 - and I took equal care of both vehicles. My F-150 had 89,000 miles on it from driving to work every day; my wife's S-10 has 60,000 stay-at-home (no flying road debris dings) miles on it.
Let the flames begin (putting on asbestos suit).

Old 03-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Remember - Compound is like sandpaper in a jar.

As such, you need to only use it when absolutely necessary and, often times, it will require a followup with something that is less aggressive to remove the problems that will actually be introduced by the compound.

So, to respond to your problem -- it's probably time to find a less aggressive abrasive polish to remove the problems introduced by the compound.

-RP-

Old 03-05-2007, 10:37 AM
what specifically did you use ?

also .. looks like you aren't too far from me .. would be happy to help you fix it .. always happy to meet other board members ..

Old 03-05-2007, 09:46 PM
ya. my dad saw it today and got kinda pissed. he said he was gonna go have it detailed and see if that fixes it. i hope it does, and if not ill just get some less abraisive compound. so Gipraw, where i cypress are you?

Old 03-05-2007, 10:02 PM
I would be happy to do it for free (just don't tell anyone) .. no need for him to pay someone to do it ..

bring it to me and let me take a look before you pay someone else .. if you want to, anyway ..

I am in Cypres Mill Estates.. 290 and Cypress Rosehill

Old 03-05-2007, 10:07 PM
oh cool ill talk to him about it, but knowing him, he will probably be **** about it and want to take it somewhere. im right over in coles crossing. i actually just had my bday party in your neighborhood on saturday at the club house. we were the ppl making all the noise over there.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:20 PM
just let me know .. and, for your info (and dad's).. I have been doing this for over 25 years .. ran my own shop for several years, now basically doing it as a hobby, and taking care of a very select client base ..

here is a quick example of some of my work ..

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ghlight=escape

Quick Reply: Compound crap!