Used #80 but need more

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used #80 but need more

I have alot of swirls and some scratches. I used the #80 speed glaze using the Porter Cable polisher. Great machine....easy to use. I still have some larger scratches/swirls that the #80 didn't take off. What would be the recommended next product to use to take off the rest of the problem. Also do you thow out the buffing bonnets or do you wash them or can they be used until they wear out without cleaning them?

Old 08-13-2006, 09:59 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
#83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish is your next kick up.

What color is your vehicle?

As for bonnets, explain 'bonnets'. Do you mean foam pads? Or terry / microfiber bonnets?

Old 08-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Thanks RP....
I was hoping to get your "EXPERT OPINION". The truck is Black and I'm asking about the terry cloth covers that you pull over a pad for buffing.

Thanks, Keith

Old 08-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Moderator &

Ugh. I was afraid you'd say black...

DACP isn't a fun product to play with on black...

But, you're talking about terry bonnets so, let me back up a bit here...

What are you using to apply the product? Are you using the bonnets to remove them? Where did you buy the terry bonnets?

We're talking about black here and thus, I'm backtracking to make sure that you're not introducing as much of a problem as you're removing. Black is a b1tch, no way around that.

Old 08-13-2006, 10:33 PM
Yep....Black...
I purchased one of the promo's from your friends at autodetailingsolutions.com. so I guess they are micro fiber bonnets. I bought the #2 promo. I used the W8006 pad to applied the #80. After applying it with the G100 I remove it with a microfiber cloth by hand....then I waxed the truck with Meguiars paste wax with the finishing pad and then removing it with the bonnets. I apply #80 on setting 5.I apply the wax on setting 3 and remove on 5.

Thanks, Keith

Last edited by kbc454sc; 08-13-2006 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:43 PM
Moderator &

Okay... where to begin.

With this type of polish, there's no need to allow it to dry to the paint. In fact, you're just creating more of a problem by doing that in that it's a booger to remove... keep in mind we want to keep things simple and thus, make it easier on that black paint. Have I mentioned black is a biznitch?

PC settings, you're probably working the #80 a little hard honestly. I prefer 3.5 to 4 with #80. There aren't many products that really benefit from ultra-high RPM/oscillation (hence, no 5 sets).

Application, sounds like you're doing fine with that pad. You *CAN* reuse the pads. A simple Murphy's Wood Oil Soap cleaning on the pad with a VERY thorough rinse is all you need. You should get several uses out of the pads.

Bonnets... I'm not a big fan of them honestly. They tend to load up and then tend to scratch and mar once they're loaded. I'd recommend removing the 'moist' polish by hand. Work small sections at a time (like a quarter of the hood) and then leave a thin line at the edge of your work so that you know how far you came over. When you start working again, slightly overlap that same line and continue/repeat.

For removal, I recommend a nice microfiber towel. No el-cheapos -- especially on black and other dark colors. Don't put this stuff on the ground -- any grain of sand or bit of grit can spell disaster for a painted surface on a pad, or on a bonnet or on a towel... All of my towels and pads are kept in snap-tite rubbermaid containers in the garage -- typically in ziploc bags too.

Application of the wax on 3 is fine. No issues. Again, I'd remove by hand for the aforementioned reasons.

DACP with your PC -- prepare to be frustrated.

This IS NOT an easy product to work with via PC. In fact, I've pow-wowed with a couple of folks with Meguiar's and they tend to concur that DACP is pushing the limitations of the PC as far as break down ability and polishing effect. I simply won't use it with a PC... it's a rotary-only product in my arsenal.

Question -- did you try multiple tries with the #80? Are the problems that you're trying to address going to be realistically removed? In short, are they deep scratches or deep problems? Keep mind mind that there's not a product out there that can remove severe scratches...

Old 08-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Thanks or all the detail RP. I'm going to take another look at the scratches and see how severe they really are tomorrow. I applied #80 at least 3 times and it did do a pretty good job but there were alot of scratches on the truck. I think I did let it dry out because it was tough in some spots to take off. Is a rotary machine only for proffesionals?

Thanks again RP

Old 08-14-2006, 06:08 PM
Hi RP......
When I run my finger nail over the scratches I can just barely feel them. You think another 2 - or more times with #80 might work for something like that? Thanks for your help

Old 08-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Moderator &

As a general rule of thumb, if you're feeling them with your fingernail, you're not going to fully get them out -- ever. Sorry bud.

A respray is the only way to deal with items that are that deep... you can, however, lessen the appearance with another application or three of #80. I wouldn't get over zealous with them though as you can work through the clear in a more accelerated fashion when you're working on 'spots' rather than areas.

RP

Old 08-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Hi RP.....
Thanks for your time. I'll try alittle more #80. Most of the scratches are on the tail gate. I think I know how they got there but if I told ya you would probably ban me . Even with the scratches the truck looks pretty good when I take the time to use the products that you've recommended.

Thanks Again!!

Old 08-14-2006, 08:57 PM
Moderator &

Nah... there wouldn't be a ban set. LOL!... okay, maybe a temp-ban but not permanent. LOL!

Best of luck bud. If you need anything else, give me a yell...

RP

Old 08-14-2006, 09:34 PM
I just got the new PC DVD and it goes over exactly what you are trying to accomplish. On the video he used #80 followed by NXT. I also just got a G100 kit and feel a lot more confident after watching.

Old 08-15-2006, 02:21 AM
I totally agree with RP that #83 is a bitch with a PC. #80 is much more friendly to use.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Used #80 but need more