Clay Bar !!! WHOO HOO

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay Bar !!! WHOO HOO

Well after reading thread after thread about clay bars, I finally broke down spend some $$$ and spent all day Saturday cleaning the truck. All I can say is HOLY CHIT !!!!!! That puppy is so smooth it would put a baby's butt to shame !!!!!! I can't beleive I haven't tried it sooner.......

All I can say is "why haven't I did this sooner" The wifey's car is next !!!!!!!

Thanks Guys !!!

Old 04-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
On a vehicle with serious bonded contamination, it's amazing what you can accomplish with a claybar, the right technique, and a little bit of time!

RP

Old 04-18-2005, 11:01 AM
I'm a clean truck/car fanatic, "just ask my wife, she thinks I'm nuts" I spend several hours a week cleaning, waxing, vacuuming, etc.. etc..

I could not beleive the amount of crud that came out of that paint. I even my neighbor walked over and asked what was taking me so long. He was even amazed at comparing two seperate areas on a truck that is a little more that one year old......

He asked me if I would detail his Z71 Chevy (black) I told him for hundred bucks I could see what I could do....

Old 04-18-2005, 12:42 PM
The clay bar process is amazing. SEU1, you better watch out. It starts with the neighbor, then the neighbor's friend, then a relative. Next thing you know, you're running a full service detail shop out of your garage.

Old 04-18-2005, 01:46 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by valley818
...Next thing you know, you're running a full service detail shop out of your garage.
PRECISELY the way I got started. Well, that and the fact that my wife was going to leave me if I kept accumulating GALLONS of detailing supplies... I had to burn through them some how! LOL!

Old 04-18-2005, 10:20 PM
I did the same on Sat, and I too am very impressed it worked awsome but it sure is time consumeing! I also used the NXT wax and boy does it shine, thank you every one for the input it really make a difference when you know the facts!

Old 04-19-2005, 01:35 AM
After reading about it here, and at autopia, I can't wait for the weekend so I can clay mine.

I am thinking the way my paint feels even after a wash 'n' wax, that I might have this bonded contamination problem of which you speak.

I can't wait. I love spending my Saturday's cleaning up the truck.

Old 04-19-2005, 07:26 AM
A detail shop out the garage doesn't sound like a bad option. If I have to hear one more time thing about PC's, Network Operating systems, Veritas backups, Active directory, IIS, Sharepoint Services etc. etc. etc.... I think I'll walk up onto the roof here and take a leap.

For all you guys in the IT biz, you know what I'm talking about...

15 years later and no hair thanks to this lovely business !

Old 04-19-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by SEU1
A detail shop out the garage doesn't sound like a bad option. If I have to hear one more time thing about PC's, Network Operating systems, Veritas backups, Active directory, IIS, Sharepoint Services etc. etc. etc.... I think I'll walk up onto the roof here and take a leap.

For all you guys in the IT biz, you know what I'm talking about...

15 years later and no hair thanks to this lovely business !
I'm 19 and build my own pc's, and people know it so I get calls about network/software/hardware bs.. it is draining, and it is probably the reason why i'm not going into anything really computer related, even though I like tinkering with pc's and their problems--as long as they are mine!

As for claying I have seen results, and I will definately do it when I get a vehicle here soon, however if I was seen doing that to my mom's E150 people would think I was crazy and probably think it now since I wash it whenever it gets dirty.. but who else is gonna keep it in shape. It may be a van,(though I see it as a truck really, because that is basically what it is..) but I rather be seen driving a nice and shiny almost looks like new van than a filthy one.

Old 04-20-2005, 07:23 PM
I have always built my computers, and I do a ton of web design stuff. I got sick of it, that's why I am here.

Getting under the hood, or scrubbin' the rims, it's such a great escape.

Old 04-20-2005, 10:56 PM
What are the benefits of claying a brand new vehicle?

Old 04-20-2005, 11:07 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Ford Lariat
What are the benefits of claying a brand new vehicle?
Some may not require it but, I've only come across a couple of vehicles sitting on a lot that I probably wouldn't have clayed to start a detailing procedure on them.

You see, the fall out that we all talk about clay solving isn't limited to 'outside' of dealership lots. In fact, most dealerships have a fallout factory on-site; hence, a body shop. The factory lot where your vehicle sat after being built is the same scenario.

Also, I've found that just about all the vehicles I've seen that were transported a decent distance (especially by train) seem to have some level of fallout on the paint.

Again, you may not need it. To assess it, take a clean, dry hand and rub it across your recently washed paint. Feel any 'texture' or 'bumps' on the paint? I bet you will...

RP

Old 04-22-2005, 12:07 AM
was wondering can someone mess up their finish by using a clay bar or is it pretty easy to use???? id like to try it but afraid of messing up the finish

Old 04-22-2005, 12:16 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by freedrop74
was wondering can someone mess up their finish by using a clay bar or is it pretty easy to use???? id like to try it but afraid of messing up the finish
free:

Indeed, if not used properly and you're not careful, you can damage your paint.

You see, you're utilizing an abrasive technique to remove bonded contamination and thus, the abrasion, itself, can cause scratches. Think of it this way though; anything that you rub across your paint (a towel, a wax applicator, a chamois, a simple brush against it with your jeans) can cause a problem...

If you use the proper technique and procedure, you approach eliminating the risk of the introduction of other problems...

RP

Old 04-22-2005, 09:01 AM
freedrop74, listen to rockpick, he knows what he is talking about. i used a clay bar for the first time last Sunday. i set the whole day aside to detail my truck. the whole process from start to finish took me approx. 4 hours. washed and dried the truck first then i pulled it inside my shop and used the clay bar. the trick is not to pressdown hard on it and use a lot of the lubrication that comes with it. it does a great job. the reason it took me so long is because i followed up with the 3 step process from Meguires with 2 coats of wax. looks like a brand new truck now. i wouldn't hestitate using it again. the only problem i have is that it looks so good that my wife now wants me to detail her T-Bird. i planned on doing it anyways because her's needed worst then my truck. go for it. you'll be surprised at how easy it is to do.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar !!! WHOO HOO