Wash Mitt

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wash Mitt

I have been using chenille wash mitts for quite some time now. Can someone tell me what the difference is from the sheepskin mitts?

Does the sheepskin have as much "scrubbing" power as the chenille?

Also, anyone ever try a sea sponge?

-slippy

Old 03-26-2005, 02:26 PM
slippy,

I'm also making the transition from 100% cotton mitts to sheep skin/lambs wool mitts. The good cotton mitts are just getting to hard to find.

Anyhow, a good mitt should be soft, scratch free and able to hold a good amount of water & suds. It should also be able to "lift" the dirt "up into" the mitt, but release that dirt easily when rinsed.

I'm pretty gentle when I touch my paint with anything...... especially a wash mitt or towel. So "scrubbing power" is not one of my requirements.

I've tried a sea sponge (a very expensive one) and really don't care for them. They seem to be "soft" enough and hold plenty of water/suds, but I don't like how the dirt lodges in all the "nooks & crannies". Tough to be "convinced" that they are thoroughly rinsed out.

On that note, the SM Arnold and Meguiar's sheep skin mitts look to be excellent choices.

Old 03-26-2005, 02:44 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like Boss mentioned, it's really a preference thing.

I used to use chenile but, decided to give sheepskin a try. Personally, I LOVE the SM Arnold mitts like were mentioned in that previous thread that I had started. I purchased SEVERAL recently so that I will have a stash (can you really only buy one of anything when it comes to detailing? Really?) LOL!

My personal judgement was that it held much more soap/water solution and seemed to be less 'harsh' on the paint. While any mitt can scratch the paint if not used properly, it was my opinion that the sheepskin provided more lubrication because it seemed to carry more solution.

Again, it's a preference thing but, I'd encourage you to give it a try. Maybe you'll like them better, maybe not. Only you'll know. They're not real expensive and last a while as long as you take good care of them.

RP

Old 03-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

RP, I remember reading your post about mitts and I re-read it earlier today to try and get an idea of what I wanted.

I'm gonna order a sheepskin this weekend to try out. I hope it makes my switch from chenille as painless as possible.

Old 03-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to have helped a bit...

All you can do is give them a try. If you don't like them, you're out a few bucks but, if you like them, it'll give you an alternative...

Let us know!

RP

Old 04-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
The last time I was at Wal-Mart I noticed that they were just beginning to stock a new style of chennile mitt that was green in color, and seemed to be made of dramatically better materials than the normal white cotton ones you see around. Cost was about a dollar more than their normal cotton chenneile's.

Might be worth a look the next time you're there (?).

Old 04-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Walmart sheepskin washmit Eurow Brand 5 bucks really nice wash mit check that one out.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:09 PM
just recieved a Meg's sheepskin mit from a friend. and also just picked up a m/f mitt as well. <3 em and i doubt i'll go back to cotton. just seems alot more durable,yet soft. also holds plenty of soap to lubricate the surface. in short... i love em!!!

Old 04-12-2005, 11:14 AM
In the past I've used a micro-cell sponge (almost looks solid) but it just didnt hold enough solution and I found myslef dunking alot. I switched to two dedicated cotton chenille mitts. One for the roof, hood, tailgate, upper side panels and one for the lower panels that get dirtier. I dont even have to scrub, I dunk the mitt in car wash solution and the weight of the wet mitt and gravity do all the work. No swirls.

Like RP, Boss and others have mentioned before, the 2 bucket system with grit guards is a must.

BTW, I got my mitts at Wal-Mart $3.87 each.

I passed on sheepskin because they're expensive and I've heard they have like an 8 month lifetime.

Last edited by Pete V; 04-12-2005 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:24 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

So just out of curiosity, are you guys washing and re-using your chenille mitts?

I have just been starting with new ones as my "Main Body Panel Mitts", and then gradually degrading them to "Wife's Beater Sunfire Mitts", "Wheel Rim Mitts", and finally, "Inside The Wheel Well Mitts".

Then I throw them out.

Old 04-13-2005, 12:31 AM
I'm using the new chenille mitt from Meguiar's Gold Class, I have a sheepskin on order.

I used my other chenille for about 8-10 washes before it got a hole ripped in the side and I degraded it to a "wheel mitt".

As most of you folks have mentioned, all these mitts are fairly cheap. Therefore, I'm in the camp of replacing them very quickly.
I also agree that the GRIT GUARD is a MUST!

Thanks for all your input folks!

-slippy

Quick Reply: Wash Mitt