cleaning towels

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 02:37 PM
#LT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cleaning towels

i just got back from wal mart with nxt wax, terry cloths, sponges, two buckets, etc. i'm ready to wash it this saturday if the weather is nice.

after your done washing, how do you store your cleaning supplies? and before you store them what do you do with the dirty towels and the towels that contain wax on them? should i wash them in the washer?

please let me know how you store your products after your done.

thank you, any info is appreciated

Old 02-23-2005, 07:55 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have four general catergories of towels...

Microfiber (ultra nice stuff)
Microfiber (average at best)
Drying towels (terry) (I generally wash applicators here too)
Tire Towels

They're all washed separately with the best ones being washed first.

After washing all of them, with the exception of the tire towels (general shop rags), are stored in a plastic drawered bin out in the garage.

It is very important to store your supplies in a place that is clean and won't be exposed to excessive dust etc...

Further, if I have a REALLY dirty tire towel, I typically just toss it. The wifey hates it when I leave a dirty ring on the inside of the washer.

Hope that helps!

RP

Old 02-23-2005, 08:38 PM
Also, don't use any fabric softners or dryer sheets, as this will cause the MF towels to streak. Also, I use a cup of white distilled vinegar in the rinse cycle, and I use a MF detergent concentrate, it really helps with breaking down the wax/sealants on my MF towels.

Old 02-23-2005, 08:39 PM
#LT
thanks rockpick, it does help.

when you wash it in the washing machine, what detergent do you use? regular laundary detergent like tide?

Old 02-23-2005, 08:50 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by AhsGrad1973
Also, don't use any fabric softners or dryer sheets, as this will cause the MF towels to streak. Also, I use a cup of white distilled vinegar in the rinse cycle, and I use a MF detergent concentrate, it really helps with breaking down the wax/sealants on my MF towels.
Excellent points Ahs! No fabric softener with any of my MF or terry towels.

The microfiber detergent that Ahs mentions here is something like this. I've never tried it out but, I hear it's good stuff...

I've always utilized a quality liquid detergent. Tide etc... I prefer liquids because of the potential for some of the granules of a powder to not fully dissolve and cause problems. Probably a bit too picky but, that's my philosophy.

RP

Old 02-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Rockpick, that is the exact detergent I am using, I buy it from PAC. In fact just got 4 more bottles during their recent sale. It is also great to pre-soak heavily soiled MF towels in hot water for a couple of days. I also will be experienting with using it to clean my Edge 2K PC and rotary pads. I am guessing since it gets my towels clean, why not the buffer pads.

Old 02-24-2005, 06:25 PM
AhsGrad & RockPick,

Reading your posts was enough to nudge me into my first PAC order of the year (that and the closeout sale promotion as mentioned at DC ).

I ordered some of the MICROPAK to try on my MF towels. Of course, I also ordered some more MF towels, 2 more DF towels, a handful of The Edge pads for the PC, a whole bunch of the 4 Star Ultimate Products (I've been wanting to try them for a while), and finally some Sprayway glass cleaner.

Spring can't arrive soon enough for me.

Old 02-24-2005, 07:22 PM
JohnAndDar, if you got the 4 * UPP (Ultimate Paint Protection), you will love that sealant. I have been using it with great results, talk about a very slick surface. A couple of weeks ago, I put a coat of Meguiar's #16 wax over 4 layers of UPP that I have been applying and allowing it to cure/bond. Using the UGE (Rockpick did a review of the gloss enhancer earlier), helps keeps the slicknest and gloss look going. I love the 4 * UPC, (Ultimate Paint Cleaner), using it before I put the first layer of UPP on. Gets rid of any old wax/sealant. I just ordered some of the Meguiars #80 after reading Rockpicks use of it, can't wait to try it out in the spring myself. He mentioned that he likes over #9.

I use the 4 * Wheel cleaner gel as a tire, wheel well cleaner, even use it on my sprayed in bed liner. Gets them really clean.

Old 02-24-2005, 07:31 PM
AhsGrad,

Thanks for the re-assurance on the 4*UPP. I can't wait to give it a try. I really need some "nice" weather, because I want to repair a couple of small chips in the paint, then I need to clay, remove swirls (black paint)...well, you know the drill...I can't rush into everything with just one "warm" day. Most likely I'll end up detailing if I can coordinate my schedule with a day and a half of 40 degree or better weather...then put off the chip repair until mid to late spring.

To get back on topic , I'm looking forward to trying out the MICROPAK on my MF/DF towels after I next detail my truck!

~John

Old 02-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Do yall suggest washing all your terry's and MF's before using them the first time?

Old 02-24-2005, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by slippysmit
Do yall suggest washing all your terry's and MF's before using them the first time?
slippysmit,
I do wash & dry all of my terry and mf towels before they get used the 1st time...just to get rid of any particulates, residue, and excess lint that might be on them.

~John

Last edited by JohnAndDar; 02-24-2005 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:58 PM
Ok, thanks John!

I just got a bunch of new stuff in today and was thinking that I should go ahead and get them washed for this weekend. We've had a ton of rain out here is So Cal and I'm ready to get my truck back in shape.

Old 02-24-2005, 09:04 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by slippysmit
Like J&D, mine are always washed pre-use. You never know who dropped them where before they were bagged and shipped.

An ounce of prevention...

RP

Quick Reply: cleaning towels