small rust spots on front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
small rust spots on front bumper

I washed the truck today for the first time this winter (45 degrees outside) and noticed a few small rust spots on my front chrome bumper. Should I be concerned with a bigger problem or is it something that will come off and stay off with some polish?
Thanks.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:09 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very very very tiny specs?

Also, on your window sticker it should indicate how your vehicle was transported. Does it say RAIL or CONVOY?

RP

Old 02-07-2005, 09:12 PM
Yes, and I would have to check the sticker.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:16 PM
Moderator &

I'm not a huge betting man but, I'm going to say it says 'RAIL'.

If so, what you're most likely seeing is what's known as 'RAIL DUST'.

These are very tiny pieces of bonded steel as a result of metal on metal abrasion from the rail cars wheels (typically).

The bad news, it's probably not only on your bumpers but all over your truck...

The good news, it's EASILY fixable.

Clay is your answer.

Here's a quick run down of what clay is, what it does, and the benefits that it provides.

Clay is a material that is commonly used within the automotive detailing industry. It is very similar to play dough but is more rigid and not as pliable. It is commonly available at most Pep Boys styles of stores. Expect to pay between $10 and $15 for a kit with everything you need.

Clay is used to remove bonded contamination from the paint. In short, there are oodles of things that can bond to your paint and a simple wash doesn't remove them. While I don't recommend that you clay your vehicle all the time after washing, I do recommend that you do it once or twice per year. By taking the clay bar and lubricant supplied with the kit that you may purchase, you spray the lubricant on the paint and move the clay bar across the paint. Before you do this, do the hand test. This is a test that allows you to feel what the clay bar is actually doing.

To do this, take a clean, dry hand and rub it across your paint. Feel all those tiny little bumps and such? This shouldn't be there. Your paint should feel like glass.

Now use the clay per the instructions on the box.

Now feel your paint. Feel the difference? Look at the clay. See the stuff it pulled off? Interesting isn't it?

Clay should remove all those tiny rust specs that you see on your bumper with little to no problem.

Here's a huge hint. When you get your clay bar (typically a 1 oz bar), cut it into two pieces and set one piece out of the way in a ziploc or similar. Clay your vehicle. When you drop your clay on the ground (and you will drop it--trust me). Toss it. No exceptions. Odds are that the clay bar picked up some grit or sand of some sort and this can spell disaster for your paint if you drag it back and forth across your paint. Also, make sure you knead your clay often while you're using it.

Clay is a SUPER SUPER SIMPLE process and provides superior results to ensure proper surface preparation before using a wax or polish.

Feel free to do a search within this forum for 'CLAY' and be prepared to read novels on it's abilities, success stories, and raves.

Also, feel free to fire any other questions that you may have...

RP

Old 02-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the info. One more question, can I wait til the spring (that was when I am going to detail the truck) to perform this task or should I take care of it right away?

Old 02-08-2005, 09:30 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by msharris16
Thanks for the info. One more question, can I wait til the spring (that was when I am going to detail the truck) to perform this task or should I take care of it right away?
The sooner the better but, being new, it's probably not the end of the world if you wait.

It would be necessary to wax the vehicle (at a minimum) after claying as you will remove some film build as well as create holes in the protection.

Envision a spec of this stuff stuck to the paint. Now, envision a layer of wax going over the top of it effectively sealing it in place. Now, picture that spec being cleaved off along with the wax that was on it. See what I mean?

Hope that helps!

RP

Old 02-08-2005, 07:12 PM
I agree clay is wonderfull, i was nervious at first but use enough spray lube and your paint will be like glass in seconds ive used it on windows and it is awesome for my exchaust tip another thing that works good on chrome is never dull, its like a cotton soaked in some magical stuff i se that on all my chrome bumpers and accents, I just rotated my tires and used it on the inner sides of the wheels worked wonderful, one more thing, this website with all the people and knowledge is the best thing in the world thanks everyone

Trending Topics

Old 02-10-2005, 11:18 AM
on chrome i use the SOS name brand cleaning pads (wet of course). these work great on removing any small rust spots on the chrome. then i clean with never dull after every wash. as for the paint just do what RockPick recommends. this should help clean it up. good luck

Old 02-13-2005, 11:11 AM
Mine also has chrome measles. I just pulled my window sticker. Born in Dearborn and It says Convoy, not Rail, so it's a problem no matter what transportation. If I clayed my bumper in hopes to fix, I would have to remove it as it recesses into the body work. I just may line-X the entire thing if I have to remove it.

Old 02-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Moderator &

Hey gordon... give the clay a try before you really pull your hair out. I have a feeling that it may work...

RP

Quick Reply: small rust spots on front bumper