Paint Shadows from Decals

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Shadows from Decals

A few months ago I purchased a second hand '97 Lariat that had been used as a salesmans vehicle, since new, by an Earth Moving Equipment company.

The Truck looks really sharp but from some angles you can still see Shadows of the Decals that were on the Doors and Tail Gate.

It looks like they spent some time trying to buff it out because it has light swirl marks.

Do to various reasons it's my first good vehicle, in several years. I'd like to make it Sharper and Keep it that way.

Can anyone share any ideas they may have on this.

Doug

1997 F-150 Lariat 4x4
4.6L Auto w/ 3.55 gears
Fram Air Hog

Last edited by DDan1967; 01-01-2005 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-01-2005, 05:21 PM
My guess is that it is not the spots where the decals were that are really the issue. The decals kept those areas from being affected by the sun. It may be the rest of the truck that is a bit faded.

I would wait for others to chime in but this may be a job for a good clay treatment. There are many threads that describe how this is done.

Good luck.

By the way I too am a new Lariat owner (new to me anyway) an 02 and the guys on this forum are a great help.

You have a good looking rig to start with.

Forrest

Old 01-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My suspicion is that phsskipper is, generally, correct. The sign was on the door long enough to withstand some of the fading and oxidation that the paint has undergone. In short, the sign served as a VERY thick layer of wax keeping that area from having the same effect.

Clay, while it may not hurt your situation, won't help your cause either. Clay is designed to remove stuck on contamination such as road tar, industrial fallout, and other types of contamination that is stuck on the top of the paint. In short, it won't deal with deterioration of paint or oxidation. It's just not meant to deal with this type of problem.

With that in mind, I suggest you take it to a good detailer or attempt some of the work on your own. A good detailer should be able to utilize a paint cleaner to remove some of the oxidation and thus, effectively remove some of the obvious signs of the paint difference on the sign area.

If you are wanting to tackle some of this on your own and feel confident around a machine applied compound/paint cleaner/etc, fire another response to this thread and I'll give you an opinion.

I feel confident that we can get it back to par... maybe not under par but, very near it.

RP

Old 01-01-2005, 09:23 PM
I've never used a power buffer or the like before but as I've been wrenching most my life, I have never been timid to give anything a try.

My motto has always been; Unless the Tools to do the job cost more than the estimate from the shop, I'll do it my self.

Of course when the snow is flying I've been known to have a shop change my oil.

That being said I'd like to try to do it myself, if at all possible, and learn some of the fine art of auto detailing in the prosess.

Doug

BTW: phsskipper - Thank you for the Compliment.

I to the mighty RockPick and await his wisdom.

Last edited by DDan1967; 01-01-2005 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:47 PM
DDan1967,

You could try this first.......... get some Meguiar's Deep Crystal paint cleaner, or Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner, a couple of good terry applicators and some good MF towels. After washing the paint, work the paint cleaner right up to, but not on the area where the signs were. See if that "evens" out the look. Make a couple of passes with the cleaner before you come to any conclusions. Again, don't use the cleaner on the "brighter" areas just yet, and don't worry about the swirls at this point, as you can deal with them latter once (if) you get the paint "evened out"!

Old 01-01-2005, 11:16 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Boss_429
DDan1967,

You could try this first.......... get some Meguiar's Deep Crystal paint cleaner, or Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner, a couple of good terry applicators and some good MF towels. After washing the paint, work the paint cleaner right up to, but not on the area where the signs were. See if that "evens" out the look. Make a couple of passes with the cleaner before you come to any conclusions. Again, don't use the cleaner on the "brighter" areas just yet, and don't worry about the swirls at this point, as you can deal with them latter once (if) you get the paint "evened out"!
I have been beat to the punch by one of my mentors.

Read what Boss wrote, he's dead on as usual.

RP

Old 01-02-2005, 10:34 PM
I'll give it a try as soon as I have a few decent days to work outside.

Thank you,

Doug

Trending Topics

Old 01-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Re: Paint Shadows from Decals

Originally posted by DDan1967
A few months ago I purchased a second hand '97 Lariat that had been used as a salesmans vehicle, since new, by an Earth Moving Equipment company.

The Truck looks really sharp but from some angles you can still see Shadows of the Decals that were on the Doors and Tail Gate.

It looks like they spent some time trying to buff it out because it has light swirl marks.

Do to various reasons it's my first good vehicle, in several years. I'd like to make it Sharper and Keep it that way.

Can anyone share any ideas they may have on this.

Doug

1997 F-150 Lariat 4x4
4.6L Auto w/ 3.55 gears
Fram Air Hog

I went through the same problem with my truck, my truck is white though, i washed the hell out of it, then ran clay bar over it, then took a buffing machine and buffed the dog crap out of it, then i took the buffer and waxed it. Worked out pretty good, cant even tell there was decals on the truck.

Old 02-10-2005, 07:05 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I'll try it out on the Doors in the Spring.

As far as the Tailgate goes. I took care of that a few weeks ago while plowing. When I "met" a mail box I couldn't see in the dark.

Doug

Old 02-13-2005, 02:28 AM
mag decals

all you folks that are sporting the "support the troops" and the 9/11 decals better move those things around from time to time. Found out they will leave marks in the paint from staying in one place for too long

Old 02-13-2005, 05:59 PM
Yes you are right.

I've also noticed that Dirt tends to collect under the Magnet.

I used to move it from time to time. But now since I have to replace the tailgate, I could care less.

Doug

Quick Reply: Paint Shadows from Decals