Shop Vacs

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shop Vacs

Hey, I was just curious as to what everyone is using to vacuum the inside of your trucks with?
I am thinking about getting a shop vac but I really don't know if they would work as well as my cuurent vacuum. I currently have a Kirby and it does a good job, its just a pain to have to drag it in and out of the house as it is a heavy machine.
Anyways, what brands tend to be the best and what size would work the best? Do they offer any attachments that would make cleaning the carpet any easier, especially with picking up dog hair and grass.

Thanks,

Gary

Old 11-11-2004, 12:16 PM
I have a Ridged vac 6.5 hp 16 gal, only thing I don't care for is the paper washable filter, I have to clean it every day.
One thing is on vacing rugs is I like a lot of suction to get the deep down dirt in a short amount of time.
Removing hair there are a lot of things to use: latex groves, animal sticky tape you buy in a store and a conditioner that will loosen the hair out of the rug.

NorthPac

Old 11-11-2004, 01:41 PM
I have a Craftsman SV I got a few years back from Sears. It has always worked fine for me. Too bad my dad used it for sucking up water without removing the paper eminent this summer I think he killed it. It was better than the vacs at the car wash stations hands down.

Old 11-11-2004, 01:47 PM
I need to find out where to get these giagantic vacs at the quarter wash... those things could suck start a Harley, much like a past g/f.

I currently employ my trusty Craftsman-mini to get the job done. It does good, but can't clean an entire interior in 20 seconds like the quarter-wash vacs can...

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00917757000

Sears item #00917757000 Mfr. model #17757

Old 11-11-2004, 02:07 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I never get mine dirty.

Actually, I have a SV (Sears) and a handheld that has an agitator bar from Dirt Devil...

Between APC+ (Meguiar's All Purpose Cleaner Plus) at 10:1 and both vacs, my interior looks just about as good today as it did when I purchased it new 2+ years ago.

RP

Old 11-11-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
I never get mine dirty.
don't rub it in.

Get it? hahahaha

anyway... get the Shop Vac. You can use it for so many things besides vacuuming the truck.

There are many smaller, affordable models out there now (2hp, 4 gal.) that you can scoop for $50.

Old 11-11-2004, 03:53 PM
I've had a sears 5hp shop vac for a few years now and have found it to be not only a very dependable machine but also one of the most versatle appliances around my house. You can use it for a lot more things besides just vacuuming out your truck. It works great as a leaf blower and does a better job that a regular vacuum on carpet in the house. I have also used it to unflood one of the rooms in the house before. This is a very tough machine in that it is capable of picking up very large objects and will suck hard even when the filter is completely stopped up. If you want a good shop vac, get the Craftsman.

Trending Topics

Old 11-11-2004, 04:02 PM
I appreciate everyone's responses. I figured a shop vac would work as well as most vacs out there. I just have nevered used one.
Do they make any attachments for these things, such as a agitator or a shampooer? Are the hoses the same size as those on most vacuums? Maybe the attachements from my vacuum would work on the shop vac.

I will probably go ahead and pick on up tonight oin the way home and see how it works. I constantly have to vacuum my truck out since it has the black interior, a very active seven year old and three dogs to haul around (2 shepards and one bulldog).

Thanks again and if you know where I can get some cool attachements, please let me know. I am fixin to check online at Home Depot and Lowes to see what they have.

Gary

Old 11-11-2004, 04:28 PM
To answer some of your questons, I have never seen a shampoo/agitator attachment for a shop vac, but that doesn't mean that they're aren't any. Most shop vacs that are pretty good size have a haose that is larger than that of a household vac, so I doubt if attachments for your household vac will work with your shop vac. When I got my shop vac, it came with a large list in the box of cool attachments that I could order for my vac. If I had to guess, yours probably will too, but if not just check around in the store you get it from or online. Hope this is what you were looking to heat and good luck.

Old 11-11-2004, 04:43 PM
I have an actual Shop Vac, not sure the power, but I think it's a 6gal... Perfect for a small garage like mine... It was a freebie my buddy was throwing out. Nothing wrong with it, just didn't want it. I couldn't tell you what size the hose is, but my household vac (Eureka) attachments fit like they were made for it. I also use my Shop Vac as a dust collector on my blasting cabinet... The only problem I have with it is it's so LOUD! I need a new quieter one... But for $free it's done very well...

Old 11-11-2004, 07:57 PM
I use the handheld Dirt Devil with the rotating brush. The bag gets in the way sometimes but apparently the newer models' rotating brush part detaches from the bag part.

Old 11-11-2004, 09:48 PM
I do have a brush attachement for my PC, I use it once in a while on rugs that are caked up & bake in dirt. The Ridged 6.5 hp has all the power I need, I would say to much suction

Old 11-11-2004, 10:38 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by NorthPac
I do have a brush attachement for my PC, I use it once in a while on rugs that are caked up & bake in dirt. The Ridged 6.5 hp has all the power I need, I would say to much suction
Who makes that attachment NP? It seems like I've seen one over at autopia or detailcity but, I can't seem to find it... a weblink would be great.

RP

Old 11-11-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by japickar
To answer some of your questons, I have never seen a shampoo/agitator attachment for a shop vac, but that doesn't mean that they're aren't any. Most shop vacs that are pretty good size have a haose that is larger than that of a household vac, so I doubt if attachments for your household vac will work with your shop vac. When I got my shop vac, it came with a large list in the box of cool attachments that I could order for my vac. If I had to guess, yours probably will too, but if not just check around in the store you get it from or online. Hope this is what you were looking to heat and good luck.
I also have the Rigid 16 gal, 6.5 hp shop vac and it works excelent. It does come with a big hose, but I also bought the detail kit for $19.95 that includes 10" of 1 1/4" length of hose and an adapter, plus some brush attachments. I can roll the vac out to the front of my vehicle and have enough hose now to get all 4 doors without moving the vacuum.

Old 11-12-2004, 01:25 AM
RockPick I got the brush attachment at a detailing supply center a few towns over, (P&S supply in Santa Rosa Ca http://www.pssales.com ) it don't have a tag nor a name. Best way I can say what it looks like is: its black its velcro and the bresles are a few inches long. It viberates the heck out of the rug to losing caked dirt, used it a few times works good.

Oh yes 10' of hose on a vac is great, i use the hose that came with the vac to blow and to beat the dog with

Quick Reply: Shop Vacs