Advice On Choice Of Paint Color

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 11:46 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Advice On Choice Of Paint Color

I am putting together the final build sheet for my '05 F-150, and can't decide between Medium Wedgewood Blue and Oxford White for the color.

Any advice regarding the pro's and con's of either color in terms of the ability to keep the vehicle clean, its resistance to paint swirls, the depth of shine when detailed, etc....?

It will be a definite "garage queen", so I will be striving to maintain an extremely high level of aesthetic appearance when compared to that of even a well maintained "daily driver"!

Old 11-04-2004, 06:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had the Oxford white.................. nice color, easy to keep clean, and doesn't show swirls/water spots/imperfections like darker colors. However, it won't have as much "POP", as a darker color.

If your vehicle is going to be a "garage queen", and you are willing to take take the necessary steps to maintain it, the blue will have more "eye appeal"!

Of course, everyone has different taste, so others may disagree.

Old 11-04-2004, 06:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I sort of agree with Boss, even though I'm a died in the wool Oxford White guy. (7 trucks and counting) The reason I go with the white is that it's very easy to keep clean, hides minor scratches and swirls very well, and in the even of a collision, fairly easy to match. The darker colors do "pop" more when properly detailed, but the white seems to have a "soft glow" (that's very difficult to capture in a picture) when you get it right. In the end, it all comes down to personal preferance. After all, it's still an F-150! Good luck!

Old 11-04-2004, 08:39 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I tend to concur with both Boss and 2stroked...

White is one of the very few colors out there that hides the minor swirls and scratches that will happen and is typically a bit easier to keep clean-looking as it hides most road grime fairly well. On the flip side of that coin, if you're looking to turn heads, I'd go with the darker color.

It's a labor of love but, I don't think I could make a switch over to a white color based on the look of the darker colors. But, of course, it's your truck and you need to do what's best for you.

Good luck with your decisions! Whichever way you decide to go, please be sure to post some pictures when it arrives!

RP

Old 11-04-2004, 10:54 AM
Between the two.....Blue

I really like the Sonic Blue on the L's tho. As I am typing this, I popped over to www.fordvehicles.com and they do not list Wedgewood Blue for the F150's just True Blue. They also do not offer any red's for the Expedition??

Old 11-04-2004, 10:57 AM
And:

White will be cooler in that Houston heat.

That nasty black residue from the Houston environment will show up quicker on white.

White is a common work truck color.

Blue will provide a deeper, vivid perception.

Old 11-04-2004, 11:00 AM
Nothing more impressive than a white vehicle that has been polished & waxed w/ multiple coats to give it depth and shine.

Where's the pic of that white Navigator from the RP Shine Award?!

Trending Topics

Old 11-04-2004, 12:14 PM
Dude, definately go with the blue if those are your finals choices....white doesnt look nearly as good as darker colors, especially after a good wax....white on the other hand will not deteriorate looks wise for a very very long time...in my oppinion nothin looks better than a black truck with a sweet wax job.....

Old 11-04-2004, 02:14 PM
Depends on your taste in the end. I’d prefer the blue myself. Whatever makes your wheels spin. Just like if you prefer breasts or legs.

Old 11-04-2004, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the input guys!

By the way, I have noticed the descrepancy on the availability of Medium Wedgewood Blue for the '05 F-150. Some Ford stuff I have says it is available, and other stuff I have says it is not. I suppose I could go with the True Blue as an alternative, but I really like the steely-blue tinge of the Wedgewood, so we'll see!

Old 11-04-2004, 10:38 PM
Re: Advice On Choice Of Paint Color

Originally posted by ddellwo
I am putting together the final build sheet for my '05 F-150, and can't decide between Medium Wedgewood Blue and Oxford White for the color.

Any advice regarding the pro's and con's of either color in terms of the ability to keep the vehicle clean, its resistance to paint swirls, the depth of shine when detailed, etc....?

It will be a definite "garage queen", so I will be striving to maintain an extremely high level of aesthetic appearance when compared to that of even a well maintained "daily driver"!
White can definitely have some pop and fizzle and is much easier to take care of. The Wedgewood Blue is nice also and I actually almost bought a Roush Expedition that was that color, but I still prefer the White, and the Navigator of course.

Old 11-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Just my 2 cents

I live in Houston too and there are a ton of white F-150s here. I personally went with the Medium Wedgewood Blue so it would not be like all the rest around here. As for the question on pop of the paint, I think it is a little bit harder to hide any swirls, scratches, or defects of any kind on this color of paint. But, if you are going to put in the time and effort on it, it is very nice and stands out around other more muted colors. It also can look slightly different at different angles and lights. Here are some pics to show you what I mean. Go with the blue!

Old 11-04-2004, 11:25 PM
By the way have you chosen a Dealership yet, if not I would be happy to tell you some of my experiences with a few of them here in Houston.

Old 11-04-2004, 11:34 PM
sorry, one more post

I believe a co-worker of mine just order his 2005 and it is Medium Wedgewood Blue. It is also still an option when building your own through www.ford.com
So you should still be able to get it on the 2005

Old 11-05-2004, 12:44 AM
GBTexas:

As far as the dealer goes, my first inclination is to go to Tomball Ford, just because they are the closest dealer to where I live, and it would be very convenient to take it there for service work, etc. But dealer location is not really that big of a factor, since I actually bought my last Ford up in Austin at Leif Johnson.

I also have access to the X-Plan through work, so I'm thinking that it might not make any difference price-wise where I buy it. I just have to figure out whether I can special order my truck (I have a very precise list of features I want to have on this one) and still use the X-Plan. I have been told by fellow employees that the X-Plan limits you to on-hand dealer inventory (?).

Even if that is a limitation of the X-Plan, I can't believe there isn't a creative way to get around the rule and get the exact truck I want!

Quick Reply: Advice On Choice Of Paint Color