windshield chips

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 04:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
windshield chips

So i was outside with some barkeepers friend getting rid of some waterspots and i notice two tiny chips in the glass. Damn truck is 3months old with 2k miles and it has chips in the windshield and it hasnt seen alot of highway yet. Anything that i can do to get em out or repair them? They are slight chips but i dont like them.

Dan

Old 11-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Check your state law regarding windshields. In Florida, if you crack a windshield it is repaired or replaced for free by your insurance company by law. Some people have been known to have someone throw a rock at their windshield if it can be repaired so it can be replaced, but they don't really care. The replaced the winshield on my Cobra last year when a nice little screw up of mine punched a hole through it from the inside...

Old 11-07-2004, 07:06 PM
There are some companies that specialize in fixing "chips" in windshieds. Depending on your insurance policy, and the severity of the chips, sometimes the insurance will pay to have the chips fixed.................. before it causes the windshield to crack.

Check around for one of those companies............. probably "Automotive glass repair"?

Old 11-07-2004, 07:19 PM
they are small nicks that can barely be seen. I cant imagine asking my insurance company to replace the windshield or fix it over this. Plus im sure it would make my rates go higher than they already are ($1200 every 6months ). Just wondering if there was something i could do myself. I guess i will learn to live with them.

Old 11-07-2004, 08:12 PM
Find out what your state and local laws are relating to windshield repair. In FL, the insurance company is required by law to repair or replace any damaged windshield without impact to what you pay as a customer. It is illegal for a company to drop you or increase your rates as a result of this form of claim. Again, this is in FL.

Old 11-07-2004, 08:55 PM
yeah alot of things are illegal but that doesnt mean they wouldnt increase. Just call it a reassesement of the policy or something. I will check into it though and see if something like that exists, thanks for the suggestion.

Old 11-07-2004, 10:16 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's true in Kentucky as well but, in KY, it is considered a comprehensive claim and ultimately, will affect your rates if you choose to switch companies etc... Just be forewarned.

RP

Trending Topics

Old 11-07-2004, 11:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use this.

http://www.autobarn.net/per16067.html

Cost $7.99 at Advance Auto. Keeps the cracks from running. The repair is not completly invisible but beats buying a new windshield.

Quick Reply: windshield chips