Black plastic door and window rubber molding cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black plastic door and window rubber molding cleaner

Does anyone know of a product that will remove white wax residue swirls from black plastic door and window rubber molding?

While out of town, I had my 01' Screw detailed after running over a can of bright yellow spray paint. I thought all was well until I got home and washed my truck. I now have white wax residue swirls on all the black plastic door and window rubber molding. Is there a product that will remove this wax residue?

Old 09-10-2004, 08:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It will leave a lttle residue, but this washes right off.

Old 09-17-2004, 10:15 AM
don't use the eraser. see above posts about the results if you do.

Old 09-17-2004, 10:25 AM
DANGER DANGER WITH THE MAGIC ERASER!!!

It destroyed my '04's handles. However, it did work very well on my bimmers black trim. The lesson? Test a VERY small area first to see if it discolors the molding!!!

Old 09-17-2004, 02:28 PM
tsc
I've used Mother's Back to Black, with mixed results (sometimes it cleans it up, other's it just covers it up). The best thing I found was a white drafting eraser. It's a lot of elbow grease, but it works really well. I've also used Meguiar's protectant wipes, it cleans really well, but runs when it rains.

Old 09-17-2004, 03:18 PM
I'll back up tsc on the white drafting eraser. It works on most marks and doesn't damage the trim. It's also handy...I keep one in the armrest of my truck.

Old 09-17-2004, 11:03 PM
ive used mr clean with no ill effects on my trim. King is correct it leaves white residue that will wash off.

Dan

Old 09-18-2004, 01:44 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As has been mentioned, some have experienced adverse effects from the Mr. Clean ME but, I can say that I've had nothing but good luck with it and it's performed just like it was supposed to perform.

With that in mind, you should try a very very small area in an inconspicuous spot to test for colorfastness as well as abrasion. You see, the MCME removes residue by ABRASION and thus, if you have plastic that is coated with something or something similar, you may end up in a bad situation.

What trim, specifically, are you referring to?

RP

Quick Reply: Black plastic door and window rubber molding cleaner