Rain-X Window Treatment?

Old 08-30-2004, 01:33 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Rain-X Window Treatment?

Any of you guys using Rain-X window treatment?

I started using it about two months ago after riding in a buddy's car that had the treatment. I love the way water just beads up and blows off the windows, as well as how easy it makes it to clean dead bugs and other particulate off of my windshield!

Anyway, I'm wondering how often everyone is doing the treatment? I have been doing it every week or so when I wash my truck, but am wondering if this will eventually lead to a build-up of the product that may have some undesirable side affects (?).

I've already checked the Rain-X website, and they provide no recommendations as far as frequency of application goes.

Old 08-30-2004, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Rain-X Window Treatment?

Originally posted by ddellwo
Any of you guys using Rain-X window treatment?

I started using it about two months ago after riding in a buddy's car that had the treatment. I love the way water just beads up and blows off the windows, as well as how easy it makes it to clean dead bugs and other particulate off of my windshield!

Anyway, I'm wondering how often everyone is doing the treatment? I have been doing it every week or so when I wash my truck, but am wondering if this will eventually lead to a build-up of the product that may have some undesirable side affects (?).

I've already checked the Rain-X website, and they provide no recommendations as far as frequency of application goes.
about once every two months, depending on the weather.

Old 08-30-2004, 05:21 AM
I usually re-apply it every other time I wash the truck, which, weather permitting is every week, lol. The one side effect of using Rain-X, if you don't re-apply it every so often, and you use your wipers, it will cause the wiper blades to chatter. The one blades that I use to use on my old 2000 F150 and they didn't chatter, was the Rain-X brand blades. I've been using Rain-X since the late 80's with great success. Ever since I found out about microfiber towels from RockPick, they are excellent in buffing off the windows after applying Rain-X to the windows (exterior). I use Stoner's Invisible Glass to clean inside and outside, then apply the Rain-X to the outside, using the MF towels.

Old 08-30-2004, 10:11 AM
Every 4-6 weeks, depending on the weather, use of wipers, etc...

After you've used it for a while you get the feel for how long it lasts in your peticular area. I'd definitely say every week is over-doing it. Prolly not hurting anything, but not needed.

Old 08-30-2004, 12:00 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just polish the glass and never use Rain-x and still get beading with good wipers. Rain-X is a cover-up product. If the windshield is clean and smooth, you'll get the same effects. If you want ot coat the windshield, I recommend a synthetic wax.

Old 08-30-2004, 07:58 PM
When it stops working...

LOL I thought that would be a good answer...

Seriously, I go about once every 2 months or so. More often in the monsoon season here.

Tony

Old 08-30-2004, 09:48 PM
Using wax is a good idea, espically if you are going off road. The mud/dirt is MUCH easier to clean when the truck is freshly waxed.

This also helps if you are going on a road trip (with the bugs) on the front...

Old 08-30-2004, 10:13 PM
I use it and the booster that goes in the washer resevoir. I havn't applied it to the windshield in several months, and it is still working a little........Now I know what to do on my Vacation that I start taking Wednesday

Old 08-31-2004, 07:35 PM
Hi APT and Wiss,
Sorry if this is a stupid question or if I am just misunderstanding here. Are you saying you put a wax on your windshield? If so can you elaborate on that. Again sorry if I am just misunderstanding this.
Thanks,
Mozzer Rocks

Old 08-31-2004, 07:55 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for the comments, guys!

Applying it every time I wash the truck is probably overkill. I think I'll cut my applications back to every other (or maybe even every third) wash, and see how that works.

Old 08-31-2004, 09:24 PM
Mozzer Rocks,

When I was in High School we used to wax the windows during homecoming so shoe polish wouldnt stick to the windshield.

Just wax it like you do your paint, works pretty good actually.

Old 09-01-2004, 07:14 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, wax just like paint. I wouldn't use carnauba, though as it may streak with the wipers. Synthetic would be fine, but I don't even use that any more. Polish it every 6 months and I get the beading affect w/ dealing with Rain-X.

Old 09-01-2004, 06:24 PM
I polish and wax the windshield also and it works great. I only have to use the wipers if it sits out in the rain to get the water off and then really dont have to use them once up to speed.

Old 09-07-2004, 04:31 AM
Love rain x water drops just blow right off.

I think Rain x also makes it more harder for frost to form on the windshield When I leave work in the morning during the colder months my windsheild has very little frost on it campared to other cars.

Craig
03 f150 4x4 4.6l
line-x
fold a cover

Old 12-22-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by PhillipSVT
I polish and wax the windshield also and it works great. I only have to use the wipers if it sits out in the rain to get the water off and then really dont have to use them once up to speed.
Could you elaborate on the products you use to polish and wax?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rain-X Window Treatment?