Meguirs VS ZAINO

Old 08-28-2004, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meguirs VS ZAINO

OK, you guys convinced me to use the NXT stuff from Meguirs, just layed it on last nite, came out today to check my new F150 Flareside 5.4 (mfg date 08/04, how much newer can it get!?) out under the HOT Florida sun, then had a "frog-strangler" of a thunderstorm (we're famous for those in South Florida)and my opinions are:

1.) NXT was NO easier to apply than ZAINO, matter of fact I believe ZAINO is easier to apply.

2.) NXT certainly smells good, I just haven't figured out which category that belongs in when doing a comparison.

3.) NXT was NO easier to remove than ZAINO, matter of fact I believe ZAINO is easier to remove.

4.) NXT certainly has a smooth surface, however, it's NO smoother than my E320 that had ZAINO applied 60 days ago, the Mercedes is STILL super-slick!

5.) I'm accustomed to having serious "water-beading" for 5 or 6 months after applying ZAINO and sitting in the HOT Florida sun.

6.) NXT products are sold everywhere, and ZAINO is only bought on-line,.but that's not really an issue for me.

Bottom line is, it's just another "personal preference" thing, and I know some of you guys wax once a month or more, I just don't do it........ usually every 4 or 5 months and my ZAINO is still going strong at that point.

So, I've tried Meguirs, actually spent 50 bucks on thir products, and it is a good product, but I'm going back to ZAINO whenever the Meguirs shows any wear........ but I may be eating these words if the Meguirs lasts for 6 months.

Old 08-28-2004, 08:53 PM
Re: Meguirs VS ZAINO

Originally posted by bigdipper
but I may be eating these words if the Meguirs lasts for 6 months.
NXT, nah, you won't be eating your words...

Old 08-28-2004, 08:56 PM
Oh boy................ this could get "interesting"!

Old 08-28-2004, 09:32 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Meguirs VS ZAINO

First and foremost, I totally respect your opinion bigdipper and don't let my post sound like I don't. I simply want to offer rebuttal to your observations based on my own observations, knowledge, and personal opinions.

Here we go...

1.) NXT was NO easier to apply than ZAINO, matter of fact I believe ZAINO is easier to apply.

I disagree totally but, it's an opinion and thus, everyone is entitled to one. Two coats of NXT versus 5+ with Z. Both wipe on and wipe off ultra-easy.

I can easily apply 2 coats of NXT twice over a period of 8 months and come out better on time.

2.) NXT certainly smells good, I just haven't figured out which category that belongs in when doing a comparison.
Agreed but, in the grand scheme of things, this means very little to 99% of folks that are really out to get the most out of a product. Personally, I don't care for that tropical scent (NXT) etc... just me though.

3.) NXT was NO easier to remove than ZAINO, matter of fact I believe ZAINO is easier to remove.
See #1. Also, please note that surface preparation will dictate how this works out with both products.

4.) NXT certainly has a smooth surface, however, it's NO smoother than my E320 that had ZAINO applied 60 days ago, the Mercedes is STILL super-slick!
Both have an ultra slick surface if the surface preparation is done correctly. I can take old school Rain Dance Blue Paste or Turtle Wax in a tin and make a vehicle look/feel killer. It's all in the surface prep. Neither Z nor NXT will make the vehicle 'slick' on its own respectively.

5.) I'm accustomed to having serious "water-beading" for 5 or 6 months after applying ZAINO and sitting in the HOT Florida sun.

NXT will bead for quite some time but, you must know that beading doesn't mean protection. It means that the surficial charge on the paint is negative. Rain drops are also negatively charged generally speaking. Hence, opposites attract.... when opposites attract, this sheeting. It's very easy for a manufacturer to make water bead or sheet.

6.) NXT products are sold everywhere, and ZAINO is only bought on-line,.but that's not really an issue for me.

Yup. No arguments. Lots of people like the ease of being able to run to their local 'mart' store and pick up something there but, if mail order/internet ordering isn't an issue, either product is readily available. ZAINO or MEGUIAR'S.

Bottom line is, it's just another "personal preference" thing, and I know some of you guys wax once a month or more, I just don't do it........ usually every 4 or 5 months and my ZAINO is still going strong at that point.

You're dead on right there and I've said this for a long time. Z is a good product that I have tried. I found it to be tricky to use, painful to purchase, and a lengthy, time consuming product to utilize. On the flip side of that coin, it yielded a nice shine that was seemingly pretty durable (although I do have an etch mark on my tailgate where bird poo beat the Z -- in its defense, no product would've worked to stop that acid bath that it was given compliments of a robin).

So, I've tried Meguirs, actually spent 50 bucks on their products, and it is a good product, but I'm going back to ZAINO whenever the Meguirs shows any wear........ but I may be eating these words if the Meguirs lasts for 6 months.
Not sure how you spent $50 on NXT alone... or every NXT product on the market for that case but, okay ([url=http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detail.cfm?sku=G-127], NXT Spray Wax = $7, NXT Protectant = $7.. Luckily, I was given some Z to try out pro-bono. I tried it and fell to the other side of the Z/M fence. (ZFX=$20, Z1=$9, Z5=$17, Z6=$10, Z14=$13.

It's all in an opinion. You have yours; I have mine. I prefer to go with a brand that offers a full spectrum of products that can work on surficial blemishes (swirls, scratches) and build from there. Yes, I spend a little bit of time taking care of these issues with polishes like #83, #9, or #82 but, this is a critical step in any full-detailing process. Zaino, while it is a very good sealant, offers no products that can deal with such blemishes (And before I get the Z5 is a polish rebuttal... come on guys, did it really remove swirls? Just about every person out there, including some hardcore Z guys, attest that it doesn't do a very good job. When I tried it, it didn't). If your paint is perfect, Z is golden. If it's not (and 99% of them aren't), you typically have to utilize a Poorboy's/Meguiar's/etc... product to make it right prior to sealing it all in.

Oodles of folks like one or the other but very few will come right out and say that either product is bad, me included. They both have high points and low points. There have been a lot of folks (including a lot of Vette owners recently - see MOL) who have left Z to come over to NXT and, likewise, I'm sure there have been lots of folks that have left Meguiar's to go to NXT. It's America baby... lots of opinions and choices!

Also, as Boss taught me a while back, there is a plethora of EXCELLENT products out there outside the realm of Meguiar's and Zaino. It's important to give some of those a try as well and see how they rank, head to head, with other products. The world would be a pretty boring place without choices.

Thanks again for posting your opinion. I hope you'll respect mine as I have respected yours. 01 XLT... see my next post.

RP

Old 08-28-2004, 09:34 PM
Moderator &

Re: Re: Meguirs VS ZAINO

Originally posted by 01 XLT Sport
NXT, nah, you won't be eating your words...
First, don't make me change your username to PanzyLewzurBoy.

Secondly, why don't you try giving both products a whirl. Once you've done that, I think your opinion will carry more weight.

Old 08-28-2004, 09:50 PM
Re: Re: Re: Meguirs VS ZAINO

Originally posted by RockPick
Zaino, while it is a very good sealant, offers no products that can deal with such blemishes (And before I get the Z5 is a polish rebuttal... come on guys, did it really remove swirls? Just about every person out there, including some hardcore Z guys, attest that it doesn't do a very good job. When I tried it, it didn't). If your paint is perfect, Z is golden. If it's not (and 99% of them aren't), you typically have to utilize a Poorboy's/Meguiar's/etc... product to make it right prior to sealing it all in.
I can attest to that statement. I know Z5 is marketed as a “swirl remover” but in truth it does not remove anything. Z5 is actually a good polish for darker colors, at least for a base coat followed by Z2. Z5 will help to fill or remove very, very light micro scratches, but we are talking the type that some **** person like me would notice to begin with…

You do have to have a great foundation to use Zaino. I have used it on the last truck I owned and my current truck and they both started with an excellent paint surface.

I can tell you that from all the reading I have done, and my own personal experience with Zaino that Zaino will outlast every product on the market today when it comes to longtivity and durability. I have read many post, here and other sites that have basically attested to NXT lasting maybe 1 – 2 months max. You can get a good 5 – 6 months out of Zaino.

First, don't make me change your username to PanzyLewzurBoy.

Secondly, why don't you try giving both products a whirl. Once you've done that, I think your opinion will carry more weight.
LMAO, you’re just upset we both posted at the same time about the same thing and mine was first…

In all seriousness I have always had great respect for your knowledge and background in detailing products as well as some other people that post in this forum and for the most part I think most people know I don’t know chit about Meguiar's other then it don’t last nearly as long as Zaino. However, in all fairness, it is one of the best product lines for dealing with about any detail, paint issues, there is…

Old 08-29-2004, 10:02 AM
"Oh boy................ this could get "interesting"!"

You obviously know what you're talking about here... hehehehe...

I appreciate the time it took for you to reply, RockPick, and I not only respect your opinion, but I agree with your thoughts.

It seems like whenever I purchase a New vehicle, and I've owned a S---- load of 'em over the past 40 years, I end up on the Forums reading (sometimes late at night) about all the car-care, mods, aftermarket items and just plain discussion, pro and con about these things.

So I DO respect everybody's opinions, everybody's got one, and like an earlier post, and my Mother always told me, "It would be a very boring world if everybody were just alike".

My problem is, I don't trust anybody but myself to maintain my cars and I guess that's a good thing because I just don't want to drive anything that's NOT exceptionally clean and sharp!

Obviously I'm new to this forum, my last quandry was thru the Mercedes Forum when I bought that one last (I still have it)....
talk about "**** retentive"! I had to leave that board and I'm happy to be back to the F150 forum where there's just plain good people riding around in their F150's....... and I haven't driven my Mercedes since I bought my F150 on Monday, I'm having too much fun.

But I will be on the side-lines reading your posts, learning a lot and enjoying every post!

Thanks for the input from all you guys!

And don't forget to support our boys fighting overseas for us, don't ever take our FREEDOM for granted!

Old 08-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Moderator &

I appreciate the time it took for you to reply, RockPick, and I not only respect your opinion, but I agree with your thoughts.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

My problem is, I don't trust anybody but myself to maintain my cars and I guess that's a good thing because I just don't want to drive anything that's NOT exceptionally clean and sharp!

I'm 110% on board with you there. No one (and I mean no one) touches my paint except me. I won't even let my wife help me out in the garage (she's pretty much quit asking to help at this point in time). HA!

...talk about "**** retentive"! I had to leave that board and I'm happy to be back to the F150 forum where there's just plain good people riding around in their F150's....... and I haven't driven my Mercedes since I bought my F150 on Monday, I'm having too much fun.

Trust me. I doubt you'll find a more **** retentive guy than me when it comes to surface care...(well, okay, there are several of us here -- LOL!). Plain!? Did he just call us plain!? LOLOLOL!

And don't forget to support our boys fighting overseas for us, don't ever take our FREEDOM for granted!

Amen bud.

RP

Old 08-29-2004, 01:02 PM

Trust me. I doubt you'll find a more **** retentive guy than me when it comes to surface care...(well, okay, there are several of us here -- LOL!).

RP
I know one!

Old 08-29-2004, 06:20 PM
OK, I guess I'm a little "**** retentive" when it comes to the paint, I know you guys understand that part...........

BUT, some of those Mercedes guys.... JEEEESH!!!!
They sort of remind me of the 'vette guys, but don't anybody take that personally either, I've also owned a 'vette.......

You guys know there's a lot of different attitudes out there to go along with different types of vehicles......... and for the most part, it's all in good fun!

I appreciate all the comments I've read in this forum, and I still have a lot of reading to do....... it IS entertaining AND informative!

GLTA!

Old 08-29-2004, 06:29 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Boss_429
I know one!
Okay... maybe one. But I'm a VERY close second!

Old 08-29-2004, 06:48 PM
But I'm a VERY close second!
And closing VERY FAST!

Old 08-29-2004, 08:32 PM
RP

****???

Say it isnt so

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Meguirs VS ZAINO