Help!!! Yellow Road Paint

Old 08-25-2004, 06:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!! Yellow Road Paint

Ran through fresh yellow road paint yesterday, it covered my wheel wells, running board, all over the left side of my truck. It almost made me puke...bright yellow all over dark shadow gray.
I used a power washer to get the bulk of it off but it is still speckled all over the place. I stopped the guys painting the road and they took a picture of my truck and gave me there card. They said just use a power washer but now my garage keep truck looks like an old beater truck.

Any suggestions? I really is bad!!!!

Old 08-25-2004, 06:41 AM
Three choices - 1. Body or paint shop, 2. New Truck, 3. Take the paint crew to court.

Was there no warning or signs posted i.e. painting ahead?

Old 08-25-2004, 06:57 AM
I agree...but whatever you do , do it fast before that paint gets bonded more on your rig over time...

Old 08-25-2004, 07:08 AM
Tried a Clay-Bar? Its been known to remove overspray, and while this isn't quite the same I would think its worth a shot. Especially before the paint gets good and baked on. Let us know what happens!

Bierk

Old 08-25-2004, 09:57 AM
Post in General Care - those guys can figure it out. I'm sure a polish coupled with a PC or obital buffer can remove the leftovers. The running board should be easy, some abrasive cleaner should take it right off (ie, Soft Scrub, Comet, etc...). Any body shop should be able to buff it off if you wish to pay for it.

Old 08-25-2004, 10:08 AM
Roat Rage

Hey,

That happened to a buddy at work on his new Trailblazer... It was raining out so that paint sat on top of the road...

He went to the GM dealer and they gave him a bottle of **** and took it right off...

Prob. less than $20 bucks...

Old 08-25-2004, 10:53 AM
I used to do detail work on vehicles, there is a product called Formula 31 it makes short work of tar and road paint. Use a spray bottle to apply, let it set a minute, and take off with a plastic razor blade. The only place I know of that sells it is P & W sales in Ft. Wayne, IN.

Old 08-25-2004, 12:26 PM
Angry

I also have yellow paint on my truck from newly painted yellow lines. The Ford body shop recommened 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner. It cost $8.00 a quart.Its supposed to be safe for clearcoat.

Old 08-25-2004, 02:02 PM
definently use a clay bar...U can get a clay bar kit at an auto parts store for like $15. U should do the whole truck with it while you're at it and then wax it all. I go over my whole truck with the clay bar every time before I wax it. If U rub your hand over the paint and it's not perfecly smooth then you need to use a clay bar anyways. Trust me, you'll be impressed if you've never used a clay bar after U use it. It comes out so smooth. But make sure U wax it good after you do it cuz it takes off all the wax and everything on your paint.

Old 08-25-2004, 02:07 PM
Time for some splash guards/mud flaps Won't keep all of it off...but probably most.

Old 08-25-2004, 04:12 PM
I had this happen to my black benz. Went straight to the dealer and they took it quickly to the body shop. Not sure what they did, but you couldn't tell it had ever happened. Good luck with it.

Old 08-25-2004, 04:21 PM
How bad is it really? If the suggestions above don't work and it is REALLY bad, you always have the option of filing with your insurance company. I don't know what your comprehensive deductible is, but it may be worth it. Comprehensive claims won't raise your rates. If your comp deductible is $0, that's just all the more reason to do it.

Just another option.

Old 08-25-2004, 07:12 PM
paint!

Try "Desolve It" w/ orange oil. It is safe on paint.

You can get it from Home Depot or Lowe's.

Works great. On metal that is bare or the finish is not critical try Goof-Off.

Old 08-25-2004, 09:22 PM
Thanks guy's, I used some clearcoat safe solvent on the paint and a pressure washer for the wheel wells and under carrage.
The company doing the painting actually called me back and said to get a estimate to get it cleaned from a detailer and there insurance co. will be calling me. So that is good. After about 4 hours me cleaning ( not expecting a call back ) have it 90 % done.
What I did notice though is all the paint chips under the rocker panel, I think it is time for some mud flaps.

Still going to try out the clay bar though.

Thanks and look out for wet paint

Old 08-26-2004, 12:25 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Claybar for the painted areas...

If the paint hasn't been sitting forever and two days in the wheel wells, most degreasers/tar removers will cut it off.

Wax all affected areas post-clay.

Moved to General Care...

RP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help!!! Yellow Road Paint