NXT is alright, but...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NXT is alright, but...

I have found that NXT (as far as length of durability) is about even with Meguiar's yellow #26. I put 2 coats of NXT on my truck, and it lasted about a little over a month before it needed waxing again. And yes, I do my prep work before applying wax like using dawn, clay, cleaner wax, dawn again, then wax. I did the same thing with #26 and got the same results. So what's the big deal about NXT?

Old 08-20-2004, 11:18 PM
NeXT time use Zaino...

Old 08-20-2004, 11:31 PM
Peacemaker,

Yea, I've had similar results. With normal washing maintenance (no NXT booster wax applied) 2 coats of NXT on it's own "visually" looks gone after 4 to 6 weeks. Now, that's still not bad, and the product may still be protecting, but it "looks" gone. Most detailing enthusiasts don't go much beyond that without the urge to apply another coat of something anyhow.

Now, some people have had better durability results............. perhaps they are using the booster wax, or applying frequent coats. Our testing was done on a normal wash maintenance routine to rule out any variables. We actually found a product or two that seemed to hold their looks a bit longer than NXT.

As for the looks, I find the initial applications of NXT to look very nice, but I still prefer carnauba on dark colors.

Anyhow, I still think NXT is a nice product............ just not the "last-word" product that many were hoping for.

Old 08-21-2004, 01:40 PM
I typically wax every 2 weeks or less anyways. I love the fact that NXT doesn't leave the "chalk dust" when you take it off. I really don't belive any claims to be a "once a year" wax that also offers total protection.

Old 08-21-2004, 05:33 PM
Thanks 01. Lol. Yeah, I guess you guys have a point about the NXT not leaving any white residue after you apply it. And I wax just about everytime I wash anyway. I've got the booster wax that I use when I hand waxed my truck the time before. I guess it's worth the $15 a bottle just because it leaves no mess, and it's easy on easy off!

Old 08-21-2004, 08:28 PM
The Booster Wax works pretty nice once you get the hang of it! You won't need to apply a regular coat of NXT for quite a while if you use the Booster Wax after each washing.

Old 08-21-2004, 10:07 PM
Cool. I can do my whole truck with the booster wax in about 20-25 minutes. Saves time I guess. I could do it quicker, but it has to be perfect. And that takes a little longer if you know what I mean.

Old 08-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Peace,

I understand your frustration and you're not alone with your results. I trust that you've done proper prep work and further know that you're pretty meticulous about your vehicle...

Just a hint, in addition to the booster wax, that I've found to be very helpful (because, I'm not a huge fan of the booster personally -- that's right sports fans -- a Meg's product that I really don't care for...)... try topping the two coats of NXT with #26 the next day.

Personally, I've found that this adds life and depth.

Thanks for posting your observations. I hope that the #26 topper can add a little bit of life to everything...

One side note: You're using Dawn, cleaner wax, and then Dawn again? I suppose this is to remove any 'wax' that may be left on the paint to prep it for NXT? If so, if I may make a suggestion, skip the second Dawn and go straight to NXT.

RP

Old 08-22-2004, 09:53 AM
Will do RP. I've been thinking of doing the #26 over the NXT. Now that you've suggested it, I'll try it. You really don't like the booster wax? Hmm, at least your honest. Thanks everyone for your help.

Old 08-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Peacemaker
You really don't like the booster wax? Hmm, at least your honest.
Nope. I didn't really care for it. Yes, it seemed to add a certain 'pop' and I'm sure that it was extending the life of the wax already on the vehicle but, I found it to be clumsy to use, messy, and as time consuming as applying a regular coat of NXT with the PC (if not more time consuming).

In short, it didn't rank very high on my list of items that I needed to continue to utilize. Granted, I've only tried using it twice (with similar results both times), I suppose I could give it another whirl one of these days.

I'll always be honest. Sure, I'm a Meguiar's fan and quite an advocate but, it's only because I've used it and have achieved results that were equal to or greater than what I had expected. They make some great stuff but, like any manufacturer out there, there's a product that some may feel is a 'dud' or doesn't live up to it's expectations.

Naturally, you should try it out to achieve your own opinion as some swear by the stuff and think it's the best thing since sliced cheese. It all could be in my procedure/application/technique but, to date... who knows?

RP

Old 08-22-2004, 03:13 PM
I just went out to the garage to find my NXT booster wax and it's gone. I'm serious...it's gone! It's got to be in there somewhere. It's problably under all my sis's yard sale junk pile. Ahhh, I don't care. I'm going to use #26 as the topper next time anyway.

Old 08-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Peacemaker
I just went out to the garage to find my NXT booster wax and it's gone. I'm serious...it's gone! It's got to be in there somewhere. It's problably under all my sis's yard sale junk pile. Ahhh, I don't care. I'm going to use #26 as the topper next time anyway.
It's in my closet

Old 08-22-2004, 05:40 PM
Darn you litnfast!

Nah, really...what'd you do? Clean out AutoZone?

Last edited by Peacemaker; 08-23-2004 at 11:48 AM.

Quick Reply: NXT is alright, but...