Z2 or Z5 for Metalic charcoal grey

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Z2 or Z5 for Metalic charcoal grey

Not a F150 color but I have a metalic charcoal grey car. Paint is mint with one scratch, no swirl marks.

I hear talk of using Z5 on the darker colors, and Z2 on the lighter ones. But then I also hear people and the Zaino website saying to use Z2 over the Z5.

I am a little confused. I have used the Z2 on silver and its nice and glossy. If I was going to put the Z2 over the Z5 I think I would forgoe buying the Z5 and just put on the Z2.

So what is the recommendation for charcoal grey with perfect paint.
Z2 only or Z5 only.

I would be happy with the deeper lustor of the Z5 only, but is it okay to not topcoat with the Z2 as Zaino recommends.

Old 10-22-2003, 01:24 PM
Sorry, should have read, "paint is mint with 'no' scratches"

Old 10-22-2003, 01:30 PM
Can't say this is the proper way, but I placed 2 coats of Z5 and then 1 coat of Z2 on my True Blue F150 XLT XTR Supercab.

I cannot even measure the depth. I can read licences plates from 40 feet away :-)

The Metallic particles were really brought out by the process. There is a real wet look to the finish now.

I would recommend getting input from others and then experimenting. It seems pretty forgiving from my experiences.

Old 10-22-2003, 02:03 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a dark gray car too and never could get a combination of Z2/Z5 I liked over carnaurba. That color or similar shade is pretty hot right now on new cars, but ther are different tints to it. The Focus color for example, I think Z2 would look better. Mine is a little dark gray and I thought Z5 looked better.

Old 10-22-2003, 04:32 PM
I just recently went with the Zaino products on my Metallic Burgundy and I must say that it looks absolutely awesome with the Z-5 Z-2 combo. I did 3 coats of Z-5 then decided I wanted a little more gloss appearance and added a coat of Z-2 and it looks fantastic. Great depth, and I think the previous coats of Z-5 gave it more of a carnauba type appearance but the Z-2 gave it just that little extra snap in the gloss department. From what I have read everywhere and heard people talk about the main difference between the Z-2 & Z-5 is that the Z-5 does not have the same optical properties (not as glossy) and therefore since the darker colors tend to magnify even the most minor of micro-scratches is best to help fill the scratches. I know that the metal flake stands out like no tomorrow with the Z products whereas before with the carnauba the flakes were visible but didn't stand out and smack you in the face like they do with the Z.

Old 10-22-2003, 05:20 PM
The grey is actually quite dark. Its on a PT cruiser. Charcoal is a dark grey.

No one has commented on just using the Z5 for 3 coats without the Z2 top. Is that something that is not supposed to be done.

And if I don't need the filling characteristics of the Z5, wouldn't 3 coats of Z2 be better than two of Z5 and one of Z2. Would these two choices 'look' different if the last coat on both was the Z2?

I appreciate you comments and ask that you keep bringing them on.

Old 10-22-2003, 06:25 PM
You can use Z5 alone or Z2 alone or you can use them together, one on top of the other because they will bond to each other. As far as your question I really don’t have an answer. I have a silver truck and use only the Z2.

You could try 3 coats of just Z5 to begin with and see how you like it. Give it a few weeks and then maybe put on a few coats of Z2 and see what you think. It won’t hurt anything and I can not imagine the Z2 on top of the Z5 will hurt the shine it has. If anything it will either enhance it or do nothing at all…

Trending Topics

Old 10-22-2003, 07:05 PM
I really like Z5 on dark colors! However, I would try some of the Z5/Z2 that they guys have mentioned to see if you like the combo better.

Old 10-23-2003, 07:24 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know that color. Here is the trade off. Z2 will make the metallic flakes pop out at you on sunny days and Z5 will tone it down a little, but be a little more deep/warm when overcast. So, how many days is it sunny vs cloudy where you live?

I would probably startoff with 3 coats of Z5 and leave it. Z5 or Z2 or Z3 for non clearcoated cars can all be used without any other products.

Old 10-23-2003, 12:42 PM
Thanks all. I think I will try the Z5 by itself, and then add Z2 later if I don't like the look of the Z5.

Old 10-23-2003, 07:12 PM
Make sure to let us know how it works out and what you think. It will be good information for future use...

Quick Reply: Z2 or Z5 for Metalic charcoal grey