Car Cover...Long term outdoor use??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 11:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car Cover...Long term outdoor use??

I travel alot for work and am usually gone around 15 days at a shot and my baby sits outside in the parking lot all this time. I was thinking about getting the best cover from Wolf which is supposed to be awesome for outdoor use. My question is does anyone have any experience in doing this and what have your results been? I know a good one should stay on well but don't really want scratches or anything if dirt & dust is going to blow up in it and then flap around and everything. I'd just like to get your opinions, pro or con, and experiences.

Old 09-25-2003, 12:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well not speaking from personal experience but my cousin has a boat. He bought a cover (not a real expensive one but not the cheapest either) and when he used it it rained and caused the color to fade on his gel coat in a few spots from red to a pink color. He was super pissed about it since he is as **** with his boat as most of us are with our trucks. He since has gotten a new cover that is top of the line and so far he hasn't had any problems but I am not sure if he has had it exposed to the same conditions as it was with the last cover.

If you are going to get one I would suggest getting the absolute best you can and also would make sure that you can secure it to the vehicle with a lock or some other fashion. Last thing you would want would be to spend big bucks on a cover and have someone steal it.

Old 09-25-2003, 09:04 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a CoverCraft Technalon custom cover and it's worth it's weight in gold to me.

From my experience, custom covers will, indeed, hold in place even under bad conditions (wind, etc). The ones that are not form fitting (non-custom) do have a tendency to move on their own.

Further, most of the nice covers (Covercraft, Wolf, etc...) typically have a feature where you can lock the cover such that it's nearly impossible to remove (unless you have bolt cutters of course). This simply involves the manufacturer putting a grommet on each side of the cover and running a cable type lock from one side over to the other and locking it with a padlock. Very primitive but, it does keep the occiasional idiot from walking up and packing off a $200 cover.

I love my cover!

RP

Old 09-25-2003, 01:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks RockPick, I've checked out your truck before and pretty sure you wouldn't throw a cover on that thing if it wasn't the best. Have you used your's in rain and stuff? Holds up good and doesn't leave anything on the truck? Got a link? Thanks again.

Old 09-25-2003, 01:18 PM
Moderator &

I bought my cover direct from covercraft over ebay where they were closing my particular model out. The fabric that they were using on this one was discontinued. It wasn't a top of the line (more middle/upper from my past research). I got a good deal on it but can't honestly tell you how much I paid. $200 rings a bell though.... I think it was a $400 cover new.

www.covercraft.com

That's the company. They're very respected in the field.

It did pretty well against rain. If it was a hard, driving rain, the truck would still get wet but, on the flip side, it dryed pretty well and the cover did breathe such that the truck would dry as well as the cover.

Mine *might* be for sale. It will fit all Supercrews (excluding the 04 obviously) and it's custom. I don't fore see needing it any longer as we bought a house and it's primary use was at the apartment when I didn't have a garage. I'll kick this idea around a bit and post back. I'll probably hate myself for selling it though.

RP

Last edited by Rockpick; 09-25-2003 at 01:22 PM.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:09 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by RockPick
Mine *might* be for sale.
It's for sale.

Check classified ad number 17903 by click on classifieds on the left hand side and then entering in that number in the search (at bottom of the classifieds page).

RP

Quick Reply: Car Cover...Long term outdoor use??