Tree Sap Wont Come Off Truck And Bedliner

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tree Sap Wont Come Off Truck And Bedliner

There are alot of tree sap like blobs on the truck and the bedliner. Ive tried alot of stuff to get rid of it, but nothing will even make it budge. This is a white truck though. Thanks.

Old 08-10-2003, 01:10 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Clay is the way on the paint.... on the bedliner... I'm not real sure...

Old 08-10-2003, 01:14 PM
What exactly is a claybar?? Im not familiar with that.

Old 08-10-2003, 01:19 PM
Moderator &

WD-40 might work on taking the sap off the bedliner but, I'm not sure. You might want to test a tiny spot first to see if it'll dissolve it...

Clay is a material that numerous folks are using on their paint to remove the 'stuck on' contamination (bird poo that doesn't wash off, sap, tar, etc...).

It's available at most AutoZone type places (not wally-world and such though). It's used by spraying a lubricant (usually a quick detailer spray or soap mix) and rubbing the clay back and forth across the lubricated area. The clay actually entraps the particles that are stuck on top of the paint and keeps them within the clay. It's VERY simple and VERY effective. I typically clay my truck 3-5 times per year based on feel.... your paint should, by theory, feel JUST LIKE GLASS. If you have any rough texture to an area (ie: tree sap etc) the clay will probably remove it.

Try searching within this forum for clay. Some of the more popular types that folks are using are: BlueMagic (I think that's the name), Mothers Clay, Meguiars Body Shop Professional Clay (my clay of choice), and several others.

We've talked about it quite a bit here in the General Care forum and I know there's a wealth of documented info...

RP

Old 08-10-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Clay is the way on the paint.... on the bedliner... I'm not real sure...
Nope, doesn't work. I tried clay and it barely took anything off. There will always be some kind of spot there because it just wants to be a pain in the a$$. The way i got tree sap off of my truck was to use mineral spirits/paint thinner. I know it hurts to use it, but it is the only way, trust me! Just use a little bit on a cloth and just keep wiping til it goes away. It will leave the surface, but will always be somewhat embedded in the paint. I dont think you could get that portion out, but I may be wrong. Good Luck.

Joe

Old 08-10-2003, 05:58 PM
Moderator &

Please try the clay first...

Something as agressive as paint thinner or mineral spirits should only be used in EXTREME circumstances and as a LAST resort.

RP

Old 08-10-2003, 06:54 PM
I clayed constantly for about 25-30 mins on one spot smaller than the size of a dime, and it didnt come off at all! You could try it first, but you will see that it doesn't work. Good Luck!

Trending Topics

Old 08-11-2003, 02:31 AM
I had no luck with clay as well. I did not think to try the WD 40. That sounds like a good suggestion to me. I used regular 70% Isopropyl rubbing alcohol and a Q Tip. It worked and I did not damage my paint. However, I have the feeling that without the TLC with which it was applied that it could have. The WD 40 is probably less hot than the alcohol. I would now try that first.

Good luck.

George

Old 08-11-2003, 08:04 AM
Moderator &

I suppose it will depend on what type of tree the sap originated from and I'm without my handy dandy Book of Tree Saps and How to Remove them from Clearcoated Vehicles today.

Personally, I can attest that I've removed sap from NUMEROUS vehicles using clay but, like I said, I didn't have the sap sent in for analysis at an analytical laboratory thus, I'm not sure of the origin nor composition.

I hope it works for you like it has and will continue to for me. I'm sure that there are exceptions to every rule and maybe I'm the exception.

RP

Old 08-18-2003, 10:48 AM
I've never had to get sap off my vehicle, but back when I was younger we used to use butter (not margerine) to get it off our hands, it worked better than any other household product I ever tried. I know it sounds crazy, but it cuts through it very quickly on hands, not sure it would be as effective on paint, but it sure won't hurt anything either.

Old 08-18-2003, 02:22 PM
a while back tree sap got all over my dad's truck. it got on the windshield and the roof. and we easily took it off with alcohol prep pads. If you cannot get the preps you can look for the strongest alcohol you can find then wet a clean towel with the alcohol and start rubbing. It did not affect the paint waht so ever and it WORKED!!

Old 08-18-2003, 03:23 PM
Moderator &

Butter... interesting... that's a new one. Peanut butter for the trim and butter for the sap. LOL! My neighbors will DEFINATELY think I'm looney if I'm outside with some Land O' Lakes. LOL!

The alcohol trick probably would work but, just be reminded that it WILL remove any wax that you have on the paint in the applied areas. Just remember to rewax once it's all gone with any method that you use.

RP

Old 08-20-2003, 07:31 AM
I get some sap hits when we go camping and so far I've found two ways that so far have worked out well.

The first is to leave it alone for several weeks until it hardens. I check it periodically by trying to dent it with my fingernail. The temptation is to mess with it too early but force yourself to leave it alone. After it has completely hardened then I can very carefully get an edge going with a razor blade. Most times it will just flick off at this point. Any discolorization I can get with my Meguires 3 step. I'm assuming that your paint is in good shape because if it isn't then the sap will get a foothold and then your dead.

The second way is for those spots on the windshield that will smear the next time you turn on the wipers. Get some ice and get that sap spot just as cold as you can but DON'T try using dry ice. You very well could crack the windshield. Then just scrape off with a razor.

Old 08-20-2003, 09:01 AM
Denatured Alcohol.

It wont cause any problems with clearcoat - and works quickly.

I can't force myself to leave it alone!

As a matter of fact, I'm parking on the street in front of my house while the white pine over my driveway continues to weep sap. I'm gonna cut that *******er down soon!!

Quick Reply: Tree Sap Wont Come Off Truck And Bedliner