Lightning or Flareside Reg Cab?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightning or Flareside Reg Cab?

Hey everyone. This is my first post to the boards. I found this site while reasearching this question I'm about to ask you all. And I'm very glad I have, lots of great info here.

I've decided I'm in love with Lightnings. My dream Lightning would be an '03 Dark Shadow Grey. I just have a few questions regarding the difference between a Regular cab Flareside F-150 of the same year. There's the obvious Supercharger and body kit modifications. I'd like to know every difference so I can decide whether it's worth any average extra $13,000 right away or if I should buy a flareside and do some upgrades myself. I like working on vehicles anyway. And anything I can't handle myself I have a friend who is a certified master ford mechanic who can help me out pretty cheap. I'm concerned about the suspension, brakes, internal engine differences. Any help would be greatly appreciated. i'm pretty sure the stock 150 comes with front disc and drum rears, i'd like 4 wheel disc brakes for one. and i'm clueless as to how diffficult converting to that would be (if you even can). And let's assume I were to get a 4x4 5spd f150, beefed up the engine and added a supercharger to lightning specs. or i couldeven even turbocharge it hich id rather have over a supercharger. i dunno i'm just trying to figure the pros and cons of all angles here.

The reaon I'm comparing the two rather than get the lightning anyway is cause I'd like to change the front bumper (to cobra r), the hood (a cobra style with cowl induction) and chrome the existing cobra rims and/or get wider Chrome Cobra R rims that fit lightning lugs (if they exist). So I figured if I'm gonna spend the extra 13 g's and change some **** anyways (plus get it painted to match)...how much would it be to change some other stuff to meet or beat lightning specs too? I could easily do the visual upgrades on the truck for a few grand (with paint). Any help is much appreciated and I look forward to posting here regularly. Can't wait to be an F-150/Lightning owner whichever way I may decide

Last edited by kbulava85; 04-28-2007 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:21 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
the lightning also has bigger front brakes, and the 4r100 transmission as well as the rear anti-sway bar, lower supsension.

you can get a regular cab stepside XLT with a 5.4 and 4r70 but they are hard to find...

if you find one and build it right it can outrun a few lightnings and nobody but you would ever know

Old 05-19-2007, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the reply. I actually found a deal on a 2000 Lightning. They're asking 15,995 for it. It's got 62,000 miles on it. Fiberglass Tonneau cover and Chrome SVT rims, carpeted bed. All add-ons I wanted myself and the price is right. Hopefully it's still there in a couple weeks when I'll have enough for a decent down payment. Then it'll be all mine, muhahahahha.

I was contemplating the idea of converting an XLT to a lightning-type setup but I realized I don't have the free time for all that. For a few extra grand, it'll save me the grief.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:57 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
good luck with the purchase, remember PICS are an abolute must

Old 05-20-2007, 03:53 PM
Suspended
It will be a lot cheaper, and better to get a real Lightning. Just be patient

Quick Reply: Lightning or Flareside Reg Cab?