Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poll: Who makes the coolest caps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 08:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Poll: Who makes the coolest caps?

Hi all,

I've got just about everything on my truck that I want, except for some type of cover or cap for my bed.

I've narrowed my choices down to either a
* Pace-Edwards Bedlocker (mucho pricey)
* Leer fibreglass hard tonneau cover - or
* Some type of truck cap.

I've never been a "cap" sort of guy, everytime I see a truck with a cap on it, it always made me think of an old mans truck.

2 caps I've seen that look cool and sporty are the Leer 100XQ, and the A.R.E. Z series.

Who do you all think makes the "coolest" looking cap as far as the "sport-ute" look goes?

Thanks
Habibi

Old 04-02-2002, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one suggestion is to make up your mind. No, really. Caps and lids are worlds apart. They are as different as having nothing at all on the back. Make sure you know what you want and then decide on style. Caps will give you more room. Lids look cooler, but you sacrifice space and are a bitch to remove (unless you have good friends willing to come over regularly to help remove it).

As far as the SUV look, pretty much all manufacturers have a low profile cap that gives that look.

Old 04-03-2002, 05:52 PM
Update

Well, bought a A.R.E. Z series cap today and have to say that I am extremely pleased after getting it installed.
It came equiped with a liner all around, and it matches the bedrug to a Tee.

I will post some pics as soon as I get my digital camera back from my next door neighbor (Homer Simpson)

This cap looks so blended with the truck that it looks like it was put on at the factory.

Best Regards
Habibi

Old 04-03-2002, 05:57 PM
Habibi, how do you like your chip? better preformance, ie gas mileage and what octane fuel do u use?

Old 04-03-2002, 09:44 PM
Hi Medic,

The Diablo chip is the first and only chip I've ever owned, so I'm not in a position to compare it to anything else.

With that being said, I can offer a pure subjective review based on how the truck feels after the chip install as opposed to factory. (no chip)

I noticed an immediate difference in improved power, especially in 1st and 2nd gear.
I never thought the truck lagged before the chip install, but after the chip was in, there is a huge boost in immediate power.
It also made the engine quieter and smoother while dramatically tightening up the shift points.

As far as improved mileage, I still have to get my log book out and tally up the numbers, I will post the info here as soon as I'm done. I have 1,950 kilometers on the truck now, and the chip was put in at about 1,000. I'm not sure how many I have to put on before the break-in period is completed, but I have been keeping a log from day one and will continue to do so.

Had my first oil change completed yesterday at 1,850.
To answer your other question, I've been running Sunoco 94 octane.

On my first trip to Toronto, I got 15mpg on straight highway, and I was driving it easy, not taking it above 2,000 RPM.
Hopefully the chip and cap, as well as the break in will increase those numbers. ( I hope it does)

Hope this helps

Regards
Habibi

Here is a photo of my truck the day I brought it home from the dealer. I will try to post updated photos tomorrow.
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...TOKEN=32481987

Old 04-04-2002, 12:35 AM
Habibi

Nice choice on the A.R.E. Z series cap did you get the keyless remote entry.
I was going to buy a A.R.E. Z series cap, then I found the Carryboy Super F series cap. check out my cap in Photo Galleries

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...y.cfm?gnum=987

Again nice choice
Dogface

Old 04-04-2002, 01:43 AM
Hi Dog,

Thanks for the compliment.
I just looked through your site and have to say you have a sweet looking truck. That cap looks really cool, looks like it's made for it... very sharp. I like your lighting mods also

As far as the keyless entry for the A.R.E., I didn't get it - dealer told me I can buy it at a later time if I want. I doubt I will get it though, I already have the Ford keyless, and another remote that lets me in the house, if I get anymore, my key ring will look like my coffee table, haha

I will get the rear wiper though - it's pre-wired.

Thanks & Regards
Habibi

Old 04-04-2002, 02:03 PM
Hi all,

Finally got my camera back and took a few photos.
Check out the before and after shots at my gallery.

Thanks
Habibi

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...TOKEN=79308495

Old 04-04-2002, 06:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I seen a few trucks around here with the A.R.E. type on they look good.

Old 04-04-2002, 09:30 PM
Habibi, great looking cap!

My mileage went down 1.5 mpg with my cap. Low profile Leer.

Old 04-09-2002, 02:34 AM
Habibi

As far as the keyless entry if you tap into the same wires as you trucks keyless entry you wont need two remotes. I put in a Power Tailgate lock tapped into the wire for the door locks, My keyless remote opens the drivers door first with one push then passanger door and tailgate with two pushes. But have to use a key to get in the cap but working on a keyless entry for that.

Dogface

Last edited by Dogface; 04-09-2002 at 02:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Poll: Who makes the coolest caps?