Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rhino Liner, Line X, Herculiner? Which One?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't get SCORPION LINER! When I got my truck the wife got me a gift certificate from the local dealer and I had it done. Garage stunk for two weeks. One year old with light use, the liner was thin, chipping, scratched and so stinking hard that everything slides around the bed like its on ice. I ended up putting a rubber mat over top just so it wouldn't be so slick. Stuff is total crap. I have friends with Rhino that is several years old, still looks good and keeps their tool boxes from slamming into the front when they stop.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:05 PM
I just happened to catch this thread. Roush factory had one done on Trucks! with a DualLiner - watch the video at the link below.

http://www.dualliner.com/video.php

Old 01-24-2008, 08:03 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I still like my Line-X.

Old 01-26-2008, 05:06 PM
Line-X / Xtra ?

I took the liberty of e-mailing the great picture of RollingRock's Line-X job to my local line-x shop. ( Hope you don't mind) I asked if they could do the same for me. They said they may be able to get away with a Ford logo, but the King Ranch was not possible for them. I visited their place and based upon what I have read here I expressed a desire for X-Tra. Seems as though they are not able to spray the Xtra, nor does the next closest franchise. I asked several times if the base line-x provides as much protection as the xtra and was assured that the only difference was color. I'm up for any any advice you guys can provide. Thanks, Tony

Old 01-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Regular black LINE-X is not maintenance free. For it to keep its gloss and color, you will need to occasionally apply a protectorant such as Just Once (justonce.com) or 303 Aerospace. If you want the bedliner to be maintence free, you will need LINE-X Xtra. While the main purpose of Xtra is to resist fading, there are other benefits: More stain resistance, more scratch resistant, is a darker black than regular LINE-X, and contains Dupont Kevlar for extra durability. LINE-X has other UV resistant options, such as Ultra Shield, but Xtra is WAY better. More info on Xta can be found here: http://www.linexfortworthtexas.com/xtra.htm

Old 01-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Thank You

(In case you didn't get my thanks) I knew I could count on you guys. I only want to do this once, living in Florida I have concerns regarding maintenance.
I was in Dallas a couple of weeks ago, I should have brought my truck with me. Thanks again, Tony

Old 01-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Line-x

I have had a line-x liner in 2003 supercrew for four years now. Extremely satisfied. A co-worker got a rhino liner about the same time, he has had trouble with his.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:51 PM
smv
I have the LINE-X Xtra color match (to accent trim) on my truck.

It was done by TruckGasm and his guys. A first rate job, first rate shop, and a pleasure to deal with. I have pictures in my gallery.

Steve

Old 01-31-2008, 09:49 AM
Thank you, I appreciate your comments and your business!

Old 01-31-2008, 05:32 PM
LINE-X
Had Rino in my last truck and wasn't so happy

Old 02-03-2008, 01:11 AM
I have Rhino in my truck and I'm pretty happy with it. There is no Line X dealer near me so I went with the Rhino. I haven't had it for too long, maybe six months. Hopefully with a little maintenance it'll last for a while. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Does anybody have an opinion on Speedliner? Its comparable in price to Rhino and Line-X but according to their website its tougher. It is applied with Kevlar fibers mixed into the material. It seems like a great product and the local shop that does the application is first rate. I am looking at having this done to my truck in a couple of weeks.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Speedliner, Superliner (started by ex-Speedliner employees), and Scorpian are all significantly different than LINE-X or Rhino. All of these products are solvent based polyureas, much like marine paint. You mix the resin with the activator and then brush it on with a brush, roll it on with a roller, or use a hopper gun. All of the brands require a primer to be applied first so that the bedliner material will stick to the bed. LINE-X and Rhino do not contain any solvents, do not require a primer, and use a high pressure application system.

Since Speedliner is more like a paint, it will hold it color well. However, Speedliner's website states that after 2,000 hours (that's less than three months), the bedliner can lose up to 20% of its gloss.

LINE-X is currently the ONLY bedliner brand approved by Dupont for the use of Kevlar in spray-on bedliners. You can read about LINE-X Xtra with Kevlar on Dupont's Performance Coatings website.

Some of Speedliners technical specs are incomplete. For example, the tear strength shown shows ASTM 624 as the test but does not indicate which die was used. There are about 6 or 7 dies available which will render different results. So, the test result shown may not be the same as the test result with Rhino, which was ASTM 624, die C.

As mentioned previously, these brands contain solvents. According to OSHA, these dealers MUST be in an approved OSHA spray booth which is rather expensive and cost prohibitive to most dealers. I believe that most of these dealers do not have an approved spray booth. The summer before last, the Speedliner dealer in Arlington, TX was shut down by OSHA. OSHA has recently been VERY active in inspecting bedliner dealers in Texas. They visited my shop last summer. I think that it's possible that these solvent based bedliner products will be forced out of the market.

Flame suit on....

Last edited by TruckGasm; 02-06-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:45 AM
I used to do Speedliner's and they were a good liner. They do retain their color well, I have not had any fading problems with the ones I have sprayed. I never had any problem with spraying the liner in a non-approved booth, I asked this before I started and was told by Speed that it was not necessary with the material. Being authorized to use Kevlar is a matter of symantics, Line-X has gone to Dupont and worked with them to get the material and use it in their liners. But there is nothing to stop any other brand from buying it and using it. Speed also does colors they have stock colors that don't cost as much to use and they can do custom colors using PPG paint without the hardners and binders added to it. Speeds color is throughout the material and not a top coat.

Anyway that is a little more info on the Speedliner. If you are set on a spray liner go ahead and get the Speed and you will be well satisfied with it. I still get old customers coming back wanting their new truck done since the other one held up and done so well. Though 95% of them buy the DualLiner or BedRug instead now that I don't do sprays anymore.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by The_Beast
I used to do Speedliner's and they were a good liner. They do retain their color well, I have not had any fading problems with the ones I have sprayed. I never had any problem with spraying the liner in a non-approved booth, I asked this before I started and was told by Speed that it was not necessary with the material. Being authorized to use Kevlar is a matter of symantics, Line-X has gone to Dupont and worked with them to get the material and use it in their liners. But there is nothing to stop any other brand from buying it and using it. Speed also does colors they have stock colors that don't cost as much to use and they can do custom colors using PPG paint without the hardners and binders added to it. Speeds color is throughout the material and not a top coat.

Anyway that is a little more info on the Speedliner. If you are set on a spray liner go ahead and get the Speed and you will be well satisfied with it. I still get old customers coming back wanting their new truck done since the other one held up and done so well. Though 95% of them buy the DualLiner or BedRug instead now that I don't do sprays anymore.
....95% buy DualLiner? Really? Where? Guess that 95% could be considered semantics rather than symantics.

I have seen lots of trucks and I have yet to see a DualLiner actually in a truck besides here on the forum.

Quick Reply: Rhino Liner, Line X, Herculiner? Which One?