Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bedliner Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bedliner Question

I just bought my first truck, and am looking to put in a bedliner to protect it. I imagine I will use my truck bed often, but not for anything major. Could anyone suggest a good liner, spray-on or otherwise, whatever is best. Thanks.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:38 AM
Do a search on here and you'll finds lots of information and LOTS of opinions! I have the Dualliner which I like a lot. It has hard plastic sides and end pieces with a rubber mat over the floor (things don't slide around like with a hard liner). Plus, it is shipped in pieces so you can install it yourself. Very simple to install and takes less than half an hour. Check it out:

http://dualliner.com/

Old 12-17-2007, 09:30 AM
I have the dualliner also and I like. I'll also have to say, do a search and you will find alot on this topic. If you want a liner I'll have to say dualliner but if you want a spray, well I couldnt help you then.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by 07Redfire4x4
Do a search on here and you'll finds lots of information and LOTS of opinions! I have the Dualliner which I like a lot. It has hard plastic sides and end pieces with a rubber mat over the floor (things don't slide around like with a hard liner). Plus, it is shipped in pieces so you can install it yourself. Very simple to install and takes less than half an hour. Check it out:

http://dualliner.com/
How much was it?

Old 12-17-2007, 11:50 AM
My vote, is Line-X. I have had Rhino, Toff, and now Line-X.

This is very personal choice. Do some research. Lots of opinions here.

The Duraliner is crazy strong, but I don't like the fact that things like sand, dirt can get under the mat, so you have to take it out to clean it, then you do run the risk of rust down the line. Others will disagree with that but I just don't see how you can keep water from collecting there over time.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:12 PM
Hey guys, I just got on line after a long weekend of Snowmobiling in the mountains of Idaho - first time I've seen sleds with 12' (and more) of track!

Pricing depends a little on if you order on line or have your local shop install it. Installed is generally under $400. But, what is a product that does the job better than anything else worth? Priceless.

I've post a lot about the DualLiner - I'm the General Manager. After almost 30 years looking for a bedliner that could take the abuse, I stumbled onto the DualLiner and then joined the company. It looks good, doesn't dent, peel, fade, tear, etc. etc. etc.

Happy to answer any other questions you have.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
My vote, is Line-X. I have had Rhino, Toff, and now Line-X.

This is very personal choice. Do some research. Lots of opinions here.

The Duraliner is crazy strong, but I don't like the fact that things like sand, dirt can get under the mat, so you have to take it out to clean it, then you do run the risk of rust down the line. Others will disagree with that but I just don't see how you can keep water from collecting there over time.
Hey Rolling Rock, just a side note for you - DualLiner has the mat. Duraliner will sand your paint off under it's plastic floor. 2 products, 2 companies. And no, you don't have to take the mat out. As I have stated previously, whether you believe it or not, from personal experience I can tell you there is not risk of rust.

I just spent the weekend with the inventor - he's had one in a truck for 10 years - and still no rust.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Bryndon
Hey Rolling Rock, just a side note for you - DualLiner has the mat. Duraliner will sand your paint off under it's plastic floor. 2 products, 2 companies. And no, you don't have to take the mat out. As I have stated previously, whether you believe it or not, from personal experience I can tell you there is not risk of rust.

I just spent the weekend with the inventor - he's had one in a truck for 10 years - and still no rust.

Yes that was a typo, i meant your product. DualLiner. Still is a mat. Can be removed. So how do you keep water from getting under it? Only way I see would be if it was sealed somehow against the side panels....even then, how do you stop water/dust etc from penetrating under from the corners and the back of the bed near the tail gate gap? It must fold over the lip there. Regardless, water will find its way under things. Its not that I don't believe you, its physics. Water goes where it wants. Ask any roofer.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Water under BedMats and BedLiners...

Just my opinion here...I could be wrong...

Of course water gets under the bed mat on a DualLiner! It probably runs right under at the tailgate. But, so what? Just like it finds it's way in, it finds it's way out...or as air moves in and out as you drive down the highway it dries that water out. The beds are ribbed and a bed mat doesn't fit exactly down in every valley, so water gets in, water gets out...air gets in, air gets out. No biggie. If you had nothing in your bed at all but factory paint and water gets on it, that doesn't mean it's going to rust. It blows out or it dries. It's fine.

I think that rust/corrosion gets started when a hard plastic bedliner "moves around" on your paint and wears it from vibration. When a plastic bedliner isn't molded well to fit real tight/exact, there's more movement from vibration...hence wearing the paint. Good drop-ins don't really do that much though. Rubber bed mats, most definitely, don't move around and aren't abrasive to the paint. Now, if debris gets under them it can be...but that's the cool thing about a rubber floor - Yank it out and clean under it when you wash your truck.

I've been in the truck accessory business about 10 years now...have sold a lot of bedliners...but I can assure you that for MY TRUCK, it would be a DualLiner hands down. I've seen they way the side panels and headwall fits first hand, and let me tell you...it's molded so well that it looks like a spray-on, no joke. Molding three different pieces instead of one big bowl (like a drop-in bedliner) let's them do that. A regular drop-in generally has weak spots in the corners from the thermoforming process that, depending on how the hot plastic is controlled while cooling, can create "not so perfect" shapes and funkiness. The DualLiner is spot on.

Spray-on liners have their place...and they look really good. But I have always felt that for folks that really use their truck bed for a truck bed, spray-ons don't offer the same level of protection. Take a truck with a DualLiner and throw a cinder block into the back of it. If it hits the sidewall or headwall, no problem...it if hits that rubber floor, no problem...now take the cinder block and do the same thing on a truck bed with a spray-on. Let me know how that works out for ya...once you get done cussing from the chipped material, the big scratch, the dent, whatever...of course they'll re-spray it, but who wants that hassle? I just don't care for the spray-on concept.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by F150BQ
I've been in the truck accessory business about 10 years now...have sold a lot of bedliners.
You're right, that pretty much sums it up right there.

I am a consumer that uses my truck bed all the time. If I need something other than what my truck was designed for, I have it delivered.

you must of missed my post earlier when I said that DualLiner's were crazy strong. I would guess that anyone using their truck bed for target practice with cinder blocks is in the minority.

Some people don't have time needed dissemble the plastic liner that looks like a spray on to clean it.

What do I know? I am just a dude.

Last edited by RollingRock; 12-17-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:57 PM
You can remove the rubber floor from the sidewalls and headwall on a DualLiner real easy if you wanted to clean out debris...would see no reason to ever remove the sidewalls and headwall though for a complete disassembly.

I'm not suggesting that anyone use their truck bed for target practice with cinder blocks...I wouldn't. In the real world, I could see a guy standing in the back of his truck loading a steel filing cabinet from his apartment...his drunk buddy looses his grip, it slips from his hands, comes banging down into his truck bed with a big clank. That's a practical application and possibility for a pickup truck. I'd say that's equivalent to tossing a cinder block up in the back.

I really like the DualLiner and was just giving some opinions to the original poster there...but no product is perfect for everybody.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by F150BQ
You can remove the rubber floor from the sidewalls and headwall on a DualLiner real easy if you wanted to clean out debris...would see no reason to ever remove the sidewalls and headwall though for a complete disassembly.

I'm not suggesting that anyone use their truck bed for target practice with cinder blocks...I wouldn't. In the real world, I could see a guy standing in the back of his truck loading a steel filing cabinet from his apartment...his drunk buddy looses his grip, it slips from his hands, comes banging down into his truck bed with a big clank. That's a practical application and possibility for a pickup truck. I'd say that's equivalent to tossing a cinder block up in the back.

I really like the DualLiner and was just giving some opinions to the original poster there...but no product is perfect for everybody.
yeah luckily for me, most of my friends have already moved out of apartments to homes...so I am officially out of that business. I would however, drag a file cabinet across my Line-X any day. I have had pallets of St. Augustine pushed in it with no problems.

One more thing.

G
O

H
O
G
S

G
O

Wooooooooooooo PIG SUIE.....

Thought you boys up in KY would like that.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
Wooooooooooooo PIG SUIE.....
Well THERE'S your problem.

Actually, believe it or not, I'm a HOGS fan whenever they aren't playing Kentucky. I've come to find that Arkansas fans, both in football and basketball, are some of the coolest in the country. I sat in the Arkansas section during the big 7-overtime football clash at Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington a few years ago. We had a blast with the Hogs fans giving each other hell in the stands, but then we ended up with them at Denny's about 2:30 in the morning after the game.

Enjoy Petrino for the two years he's there, unless Saban goes to WVU and Bobby P. bolts to Bama before the first game.

I won't hijack the bedliner thread into a football thread any further though.

Old 12-18-2007, 08:46 AM
To begin with, I do not believe that absolutely NO water or debris can collect under the DualLiner mat. Ain't no way.............and just because water can find its way in doesn't mean that it will find its way out.

I like the overall look of the DualLiner okay. Yet, considering that the system is basically a rubber mat with upgraded component pieces of a drop-in, it seems a bit pricey for what one gets as compared with a professional spray-in application.

As for myself, I went with a Duplicolor roll-in after removing my drop-in. I had to do something quick. I went ahead and finished sanding what the drop-in missed and let 'er rip. At least now I've got something in there that'll do fine as long as I don't haul anything more than shopping bags, which I don't.

Some have used the illustration of dropping a cinder block in the bed. With a spray-in, I could see some chipping taking place.

.........but what about the damage to the DualLiner rubber mat? Am I to believe that the corner of a cinder block won't puncture, at least to some degree, that rubber mat? I don't believe it, and that's just another place for water to get in.

..........and I'd bet a dollar against a doughnut that virtually any time one removes the rubber mat or a side wall, there's moisture to be seen.

It ain't a perfect world, and I suppose both systems have their place. If the DualLiner were a little more affordable, I might opt for that. For a cheaper price, I'd be willing to disassemble the unit and clean and wax the bed once a year.

Ah, but the look of a spray-in just can't be beat.

'Tis a dilemma, isn't it?

Old 12-18-2007, 09:05 AM
That is one of the biggest missconceptions of any bedliner and the spray in indusrty is the main proponent of it. Yes water will get under any drop in or even the DualLiner but it is of no consideration. If you will take 2 seconds to look the bed floor and side and header panels arent attached and you can see in the gap between them. This is designed this way as drain holes for water to pass right through. I would take a hose and spray directly up under either one and would never even give it a second thought as I watch the water run right out on the ground.

So water can't collect underneath either the DualLiner or a standard drop-in. Now with that in mind how could the DualLiner not be the top choice for bed protection.

I have been in the after market truck accessory business here at the same location for nearly 20 years and have seen/sold nearly everything including spray-ins (sold them for 2 years) and the DualLiner is definitely the best thing I have come across.

Quick Reply: Bedliner Question