Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tailgate gap cover

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RollingRock
... looks like you cannot close the tail gate with that in place....correct?
true.
I use it when hauling leaves to the recycle center. When I lower the tailgate the leaves stay in place for the most part and I slide it into the gap.
There's sometimes 20 trucks or cars wth trailers waiting to unload and this saves cleaning out the gap by hand.
Mulch also holds form when I put the gate down.

I just noticed from that pic that both those 2x6s are split. They are as old as the truck. Just pine but they got about 10 coats of who knows what on them, any leftover bottom of the can stain, or lacquer, indoor and outdoor anything I was about to chuck.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have seen this problem for awhile now, it seems like something to protect the gap should come standard with trucks. But as it is, the solution is a Gapshield, a rubber strip that adheres it self over the gap and protects from materials falling through.

Get one at:http://www.ecoologicalproduct.us

The updated site is temporarily at www.ecoologicalproduct.us, until we can get it migrated to our permanent www.ecoological.com domain. Check it out. It's too hot to be wasting time cleaning up after loose cargo falls in to/through your tailgate gap. You can go get a cold drink much sooner . . . if you had a GapShield.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:51 PM
love the idea but looking at the pictures there is a gap at the ends that would still allow material to fall into the gap.

i used a piece of heavy duty reinforced rubber aboute 1/8 thick so it does not collapse into the gap and it covers the full length of the gap.

it's bolted down on one side with a metal strip on the bed side so the loose end moves along the tail gate while opening and closing and with the gate removed it covers the tail end so nothing falls into the gap between the body and bumper.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:35 PM
GapShield Length

Originally Posted by FF301
love the idea but looking at the pictures there is a gap at the ends that would still allow material to fall into the gap.

i used a piece of heavy duty reinforced rubber aboute 1/8 thick so it does not collapse into the gap and it covers the full length of the gap.

it's bolted down on one side with a metal strip on the bed side so the loose end moves along the tail gate while opening and closing and with the gate removed it covers the tail end so nothing falls into the gap between the body and bumper.
Thanks for the comment. The GapShield is 60 inches long, so it should extend from end-to-end of most truck bed openings. (I may have to get that image fixed! ) It can be cut to a shorter length to address large radiused corners on some bedliners and some like to cut it just short of the bed opening width to let water drain out easier.

I know one guy who hauls things, some containing fluids, that at are not permitted to leak from the truck bed. He is extremely happy with the GS for this purpose and is now to the point he wants to market it to others in his profession.

I like your idea as well. Seems like it would work in a similar manner and sounds pretty robust. The GapShield was developed to come ready made for those of us wanting a quick fix to the annoyance of having things fall through the tailgate gap and may have less patience than you to build your own solution.

Thanks again for your observation and alternative solution,

Darin

Old 07-17-2012, 08:50 PM
that truck was totaled in a accident 6 weeks ago,hense - i don't have any pictures.

so i may try the gapshield after i get the spray in (line-x) done.

thanks for the info aboute the length(60 inch). i'll check the width of truck.

i just repainted tool box to match truck trim, debating on the extra cost for color match or just go black.

want VS cost

Old 07-19-2012, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by ecoological
We have seen this problem for awhile now, it seems like something to protect the gap should come standard with trucks. But as it is, the solution is a Gapshield, a rubber strip that adheres it self over the gap and protects from materials falling through.

Get one at:http://www.ecoologicalproduct.us

The updated site is temporarily at www.ecoologicalproduct.us, until we can get it migrated to our permanent www.ecoological.com domain. Check it out. It's too hot to be wasting time cleaning up after loose cargo falls in to/through your tailgate gap. You can go get a cold drink much sooner . . . if you had a GapShield.
Where does the product adhere to the truck? Does it adhere to the actual bed of the truck, or is the adhesive area in the actual "gap" and adhere to the trough so to speak between the bed and gate?

I have a Line-X with the UV top coat, which is a very durable, yet "slick" surface. Although I am certain you put forth a lot of R&D into this product I would find it hard to believe any adhesive would adhere to the Line-X and remain stuck for a few months, its non-porous and just does not seem conducive for that. The factory paint, that still exists in the trough between the gate and bed I think is a decent surface for an adhesive.

What type of warranty are we looking at here? If the adhesive breaks free, do we get free replacement strips to re-adhere?

Good to see an American made product, I wish you success.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:05 AM
GapShield Bond to Spray on Liner with UV coating

Originally Posted by pgh_medic
Where does the product adhere to the truck? Does it adhere to the actual bed of the truck, or is the adhesive area in the actual "gap" and adhere to the trough so to speak between the bed and gate?

I have a Line-X with the UV top coat, which is a very durable, yet "slick" surface. Although I am certain you put forth a lot of R&D into this product I would find it hard to believe any adhesive would adhere to the Line-X and remain stuck for a few months, its non-porous and just does not seem conducive for that. The factory paint, that still exists in the trough between the gate and bed I think is a decent surface for an adhesive.

What type of warranty are we looking at here? If the adhesive breaks free, do we get free replacement strips to re-adhere?

Good to see an American made product, I wish you success.
Hi pgh_medic,
Very appropriate questions! The GapShield does adhere to the actual truck bed. One of the concepts we tried had an integrated flange that extended into the gap and adhered to the vertical suface (usually uncoated). We did not pursue this design, since adhering in that area did not keep the leading edge (toward cab) of the GapShield firmly sealed against the bed, so "stuff" could still get lodged underneath.
We settled on two strips of the 3M high strength automotive grade tape with the addition of an adhesion promoter on the bonding surface. One strip is forward of the hinge point and another aft of the hinge point. That solution passed our test criteria nicely.
However, you are absolutely correct that although we completed some pretty rigorous testing, there are certainly many conditions out there that we didn't test that could be problematic. Spray-on liners come in many types, including textures, UV coatings, etc., and environmental conditions and specific usage can magnify issues, weakening adhesion. The description you give of the surface of your truck bed sounds pretty tough. If you wouldn't mind helping us extend our testing by participating in an experiment with the type of liner you describe, I would be happy to send you a test strip and adhesion packet to confirm before you buy. I'd be very interested in hearing your results. In addition, there are some things you could do to further strengthen the connection if bonding does become a problem like using a few sheet metal screws through the covered flange (they would not be visible). A recent blogger "FF301" recently posted a similar idea
Thanks for the note. Email me through our website contact page at www.Ecoological.com if you would like to take me up on the test challenge!
P.S. Stay tuned in to Ecoological for some other really cool USA designed and made products for your truck coming later this year.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Gap shield

I have had a gap shield installed for almost 2 months now and I have a sprayed in bed liner. I can say I have not had a bit of problem with it and it adheres very well! I am very happy with the product!

Great customer service by the way.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by ecoological
Thanks for the comment. The GapShield is 60 inches long, so it should extend from end-to-end of most truck bed openings. (I may have to get that image fixed! ) It can be cut to a shorter length to address large radiused corners on some bedliners and some like to cut it just short of the bed opening width to let water drain out easier.

I know one guy who hauls things, some containing fluids, that at are not permitted to leak from the truck bed. He is extremely happy with the GS for this purpose and is now to the point he wants to market it to others in his profession.

I like your idea as well. Seems like it would work in a similar manner and sounds pretty robust. The GapShield was developed to come ready made for those of us wanting a quick fix to the annoyance of having things fall through the tailgate gap and may have less patience than you to build your own solution.

Thanks again for your observation and alternative solution,

Darin
Darin,

Sorry for the huge delay, I dont check this forum often. I emailed you regarding this through your website.

Thanks.

Drew

Old 10-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Thanks for all the kind reviews of the GapShield.

By the way. I will be heading to the SEMA show next week. If there is anything someone would like me to check out and post about, let me know.

Quick Reply: tailgate gap cover