Bedliners, Caps, Tops & Lids
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? for Undercover owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ? for Undercover owners

When replacing the cover after removal, is there a trick to getting the rubber flap at the front out from under the cover? I had to remove the cover to haul some things and when replacing, the flap wanted to roll under the front of the cover. Getting it out at the sides was simple but it got difficult towards the center (my arms aren't that long).

TIA

Old 04-15-2005, 09:49 AM
Rubber flap? I never noticed... I'm gonna have to take a closer look at mine!

Old 04-15-2005, 06:31 PM
I just hop in the bed and push it out with my fingers, but the instructions say to use a yardstick (a wooden one)to push it through.

SL

Old 04-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Yep I just leave it open and push it thru with my fingers.

Come on D...ya never noticed? If you leave the rubber flap in you lose alot of the water protection.....sheesh....

Old 04-28-2005, 12:02 PM
Im gonna be installing mine in a day or so (after I finish helping in-laws set-up a "jungle Gym"), I noticed that flap seems like it might be a hassle but what about using a yard stick to help the flap go over the front of the bed?

ALR

Old 04-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by LittleTow
I noticed that flap seems like it might be a hassle but what about using a yard stick to help the flap go over the front of the bed?
ALR
?? Are you asking whether it will work, or how to use a yardstick to accomplish the feat?

In either case, 1) Yes. 2) A yardstick is not necessary. You can climb up in the bed and push the flap over the front lip of the bed with your fingers.

TIP: I would install the front brackets first, then use the measurement they give you to locate the correct position for the rear bracket. Torque the bolts down as well. I thought I was real close going by feel. Broke out the inch pound torque wrench--nowhere close.

SL

Old 04-28-2005, 01:31 PM
Sorry - poor verbage. I'm sure the yardstick trick would work & then you dont have to get up into the bed everytime. I would also think that after the cover has been on the truck for awhile the flap would take a set that would make it want to slip over the bed front. Good tip on the bolts, my wrist isnt as calibrated as it used to be :-)

Old 05-18-2005, 11:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When the shop installed mine today they didn't put the flap out the front so I had to do it myself when I got it home. The easiest way I could find to do it without tearing or puncturing the flap was to remove the retaining ring from one side and raise the Undercover. Next get into the bed on the side which you removed the ring from. Carefully raise that corner off the tang with one hand and use the other to push out the weatherseal across the headwall of the bed to the center or as far as you can reach. Get out of the bed and replace the retaining ring. Repeat the procedure for the other side. Sounds like a pain but it is really pretty easy. Took about 5 minutes.

Last edited by kd4crs; 05-19-2005 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:50 AM
Question

Heres a new one - Has anyone noticed the gap for the locks is a little larger then when they first installed their cover? I noticed about an extra 1/8" the other day yet the rail clamps & lock adjusters are still tight & havent moved, I think maybe the gasket has taken a set & thus the cover sits a bit lower then when first installed about a month ago.

Old 05-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is normal, mine is the same way. The weatherstripping will flatten out some after a while. I will readjust the lock strikes in a week or so.

Quick Reply: ? for Undercover owners