Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spray on under drop-in, am I retarded??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spray on under drop-in, am I retarded??

Hello all,
I've been reading all the posts on all the different spray on liners, and debates about spray vs. drop in. But I think I want both. I don't haul around too much but when I do it's pretty crazy stuff. Like scrap metal, rocks, and the normal lumber. I really like the drops in's do to the extra layer of dent protection and it may be my personal preference but to me the drop in just seems tougher. I don't want the rubbing that a drop in causes though.

So my solution that I came up with is to use both. I can pick up one of those do it yourself spray on liners (since you wont see it anyway). Sand down the bed and tailgate, spray it, and let dry. Then drop in a liner.

I figure maybe like $40 for a do it yourself kit, and about $250 for the drop in. That's $290 vs $400+ for the line-x.

Idea's/comments??

Old 03-08-2005, 02:41 PM
actually I think I changed my mind.

I may get the line-x sprayed in professional and then drop on of these in as well. Just for my piece of mind.

http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/...223&detail=yes

if the link doesn't work, it's a $75 Ford bed mat.

Old 03-08-2005, 10:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd definitely recommend a 'professional' spray-in liner over one of the DIY kits. There's just no comparison in quality.

Wonder what it'd look like if you had the Line-X sprayed over the rubber bed mat? Wouldn't have to worry about the mat ever flying out.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:11 AM
You haul all this stuff around in your 2003 Mustang GT, must have to make several trips.

The Line-X doesn't provide a great deal of dent protection. Buddy of mine has it in his truck and threw a couple of loads of wood in it. His wheel wells now sport some nice dents in them. I've also got Line-X and so far it's been great.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:47 AM
I have the Line-X : Rubber bed mat combo and it is great. It is true that the Line-X does not offer much if any dent protection. By adding a relatively inexpensive bed bat on top of the Line-X, you get the best of both worlds. And the bed mat comes out in a jiffy if you are wanting to fully show off your nice looking spray-in liner.

Old 03-09-2005, 09:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DIY kits cost about $90 for one gallon. They say that one gallon is enough for a short bed truck. At LINE-X, we spray about 4.5 gallons in a short bed. If you were to buy 4.5 gallons of a DIY kit it would cost you $405.

Edit: I looked around the internet at DIY prices for Herculiner. Prices have increased, most likely due to the price of oil. Typical prices now are $100 to $130

Last edited by TruckGasm; 03-09-2005 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:07 AM
haha, you forgot that I also have a Focus.

But I use friends trucks to move stuff around. They all have just drop in's or nothing at all.

I'm going to go with the line-x and a mat. And I just wont pile stuff on the wheel wheels. Worst case maybe in a year if my wells are dented I will just add the drop in.

One question though, since I don't have my truck yet and can't tell. Do they come with some kind of protection on the top of the bed? As in, a bed rail gaurd. Or some plastic trim piece that sits on the top edge of the bed?

Old 03-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Yes, the new F-150's come with black plastic bed rail caps. I guess I should say that I know that the XLT trim level comes with them, the base model truck I am not sure about, but I bet it does as well.

Old 03-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking Re: spray on under drop-in, am I retarded??

OK, now that the first part of your question is resolved, lets's move on to the second part. Judging from your typing skills and sentence structure my intial impression is, 'No' however....

Was your school bus shorter than the other busses?
Do you enjoy watching a NASCAR race?
Do you think Fox News is 'Fair and Balanced'?
Have you started or participated in any thread on these Forums pertaining to the Subject, 'Motor Oil'?

...if you answered 'YES' to any of these questions, we will have to send you off for a special test.

Last edited by Raoul; 03-09-2005 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Re: Re: spray on under drop-in, am I retarded??

Originally posted by Raoul

Was your school bus shorter than the other busses? Didn't take the bus

Do you enjoy watching a NASCAR race? Why yes, yes I do.
Do you think Fox News is 'Fair and Balanced'? Never really watch the news, but my best friend is Jason Dobbs, so I would have to say CNN is better then Fox.

Have you started or participated in any thread on these Forums pertaining to the Subject, 'Motor Oil'? Nope, don't have the damn truck to participate in that thread yet. Even then, I have STS do my oil changes

...if you answered 'YES' to any of these questions, we will have to send you off for a special test.
well damn, NASCAR is putting me into the special test classification.

Nice.

On the edit**
I have to add that live in the redneck area of Sussex County, NJ, and yes my mustang has been on Jack stands before in my driveway for a period of more then one week.

Old 03-10-2005, 05:50 PM
As for the previous reply about the base model 2004 F150...I have 2004 F150XL 4.6L it has plastic bed rails. No carpet though..but it's probably better that way since I caked mud all on the inside of that pup. I have a Herculiner DIY. It's not that bad the only complaint I have about it, is that it fades over time and loses it's shine. They have a product you can buy from them that restores the shine though. I think it's like $30 a bottle and 1 bottle does the whole bed (or so they say)

Last edited by atcguy21; 03-10-2005 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been considering getting a line-x and putting my drop-in liner back over top of it. Wouldn't this get you the best of both worlds?

Old 03-16-2005, 04:04 AM
re: kd4crs

"I have been considering getting a line-x and putting my drop-in liner back over top of it. Wouldn't this get you the best of both worlds?"

I wouldn't recommend it. I've had both and the drop in's are quite sharp on the base and will most likely tear it.

I don't care what a liner retailer says (Line-X or Rhino). Those things absorb impact like a train but they tear like butter if you say, stupidly throw a shovel in the bed instead of placing it in the bed. So I wouldn't put the drop in over it as it might tear it.

Pick one and adapt to it: Either pad the drop-in or place items on your spray in.

I'm on 85000 on my 2000 and it has neither. Dents everywhere (it's the inside of the bed) and scrapes. Five years later, no rust and no complaints. As long my exterior looks good I'm not gonna bitch cause it's a truck and it gets used

In any case I hope you enjoy whatever you go with.

Old 03-16-2005, 01:59 PM
Go for the Dualcomp bedliner

Dualcomp gives you the best of both worlds - and you can pull the mat out and clean the bed if you haul something like dirt.

www.dualcomp.com

Old 03-16-2005, 03:08 PM
THat dualcomp thing is neat. I would go with that. I see on their site has 04 F150 up, and bed sizes. Mine's a 6.5" flareside. Isn't the Flareside and styleside different sizes??? Any idea what kind of cost those things have?

Quick Reply: spray on under drop-in, am I retarded??