Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light Installation Within the Bed

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 01:41 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Light Installation Within the Bed

I have an ARE LSII lid on my truck and I'm interested in installing a couple of lights in the bed so that I have a bit of illumination back there.

What lights would you all recommend installing? I don't want to get a tan back there but would rather have some dim light so that I can find my way around in the case I need to lug tools or similar.

Any thoughts on where to mount the lights would also be appreciated.

THANKS!

RP

Old 01-02-2005, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got some PIAA 1400's I'm not using, so I'm planning on mounting them in my bed. They are a small light, but probably a little pricy for your application if you dont already have them. I'll be mounting mine on my toolbox, and hooking it up with a switch so they can come on either when I open a door or when I flip the switch.

Old 01-02-2005, 09:42 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by mattadams
I've got some PIAA 1400's I'm not using, so I'm planning on mounting them in my bed. They are a small light, but probably a little pricy for your application if you dont already have them. I'll be mounting mine on my toolbox, and hooking it up with a switch so they can come on either when I open a door or when I flip the switch.
Nice idea Matt. I guess I'm looking to go with something that isn't mega-pricey as I know this light will be subjected to a bit more abuse than most.

I wonder if I can find something at Pep Boys or similar and figure it out.

I'm still not sure where I can mount them and get the best use out of them. I don't think I want to put them on the underside of the lid...

RP

Old 01-02-2005, 09:50 PM
yeah... I know pep boys or autozone carries pilot brand, they have many models that are practically identical to the PIAA's at a fraction of the cost. Another choice for mounting is, and it might require some fabrication, but you should be able to hook up a bracket to the underside of the bed rails and mount it that way. Out of sight, no visible wires, still have decent lightshed.

Old 01-03-2005, 09:34 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by mattadams
yeah... I know pep boys or autozone carries pilot brand, they have many models that are practically identical to the PIAA's at a fraction of the cost. Another choice for mounting is, and it might require some fabrication, but you should be able to hook up a bracket to the underside of the bed rails and mount it that way. Out of sight, no visible wires, still have decent lightshed.
Another good thought.

I was thinking something along these lines. I do have a bedliner and thus, I can safely assume that might make it a bit more challenging.

Thanks for your help!

RP

Old 01-03-2005, 10:50 PM
I plan on rope lighting under the bed rail. A sweet kind of indirect lighting effect. Should throw enough light to see what I'm going back there. Should look hot w/ the bed rug & undercover. I *THINK* closer9 rigged his bed with something simliar... is was hella-cool.

Old 01-03-2005, 10:59 PM
Moderator &

VERY interesting idea. It could be, basically, concealed beneath the lip of the bed. Hmm... I really like that idea.

RP

Old 01-04-2005, 01:33 PM
Moderator &

Short of using t AC/DC converter, how could one utilize the rope light scenario? Can you take an AC powered item and run it on DC?

RP

Old 01-04-2005, 02:38 PM
They make 12V rope lights!! woo-hoo!!! When I was plotting my lights, I found these guys that will cut to your specified length, cap & prewire! https://ssl.adhost.com/noveltylights...pid=262&step=4 What could be easier!!! Now, if I could get off my lazy *** and do it, it would be hella cool. I figured some of that 3M double stick tape and some clips to hold the wire should work like a champ.

The only thing I'm not sure of is just how much light it will throw in the bed. But like I said, I only require a little to see + it's gonna look custom.

Old 01-04-2005, 10:27 PM
Moderator &

Sweet!

Now, how can I tie two 4' strings into the circuit that controls the interior lights?

Old 01-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Sweet!

Now, how can I tie two 4' strings into the circuit that controls the interior lights?
Geezz... do I have to do everything for you?

I actually have no idea on that one, nor why would you'd want to do it. Get a pin switch to mount to the bed rail that kicks the light on when the lid is opened. You would also wire in an override switch to turn the lights on/off at will. That's my game plan.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:09 PM
Moderator &

I guess a little normally open switch back there would be fine but, I think I may opt to just tie it in with the dome lights (well, maybe).

Putting a little switch back there would be pretty easy... hmmm... options.

RP

Old 01-04-2005, 11:22 PM
Moderator &

You going to run a lead all the way from the battery? Some type of illuminated switch?

Old 01-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Yup, straight from the battery, fuse up front & a switch right by the rear drivers side by the tailgate. You could get an illuminated switch if you please.

I think it would be easier to do this than tap into the dome lights. You gonna leave your doors open or interior lights on to view the bed? Or have your interior lights kick on when you open the lid? Why bother? Just curious, I don't see the benefit.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Awww hell, even the mods don't use the search... found it!

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ght=bed+lights

Quick Reply: Light Installation Within the Bed