Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Mirror reflectors turned into turn signals how to w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bankrpt
this will get it under your name im almost 100% sure lets go in halfs and patent this idea so ford cant steal it and use on the next model lol and then we can sell it to them and split the money lol
To funny I was at the dealer today for a customer appreciation meet and greet. I told the techs about the mod and one them told me I should patent it.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's pretty slick... Great job of showing the "How To". Very smart...

Old 03-30-2010, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by r8rone
I was about to do this mod 3 days ago but the weather got the best of me....one question though can you run the lights as running lights and turn signals? Thats what I'm looking for...Looks good!!!
You would have to have a set of led's that are dual circuits. Like the "Line of Fire" led light bar. The have a chip in the strip and different led's that are bright and dim, depending on what signal they get. The strips I used can only work with one voltage signal. Plus you would have to run a separate wire for the running lights.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:39 PM
im sure you can run it as running lights alsoyou will have to run a wire up from your parking light

Old 03-30-2010, 10:41 PM
Old 03-31-2010, 08:36 AM

Nice job bankrpt. I noticed you used 6 LED's in yours as compared to 9 LED's for mine. Is there a reason you used less, or did you just like the looks of 6 better? I wanted mine to fill the whole area as much as possible.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well dang-it ... I went out and FAILED on step 1. I pry'd the wrong part and broke my mirrror. Ford was nice enough to swap it out for free under warranty.

I learned my lesson of where to pry though so I'll be trying this again today.

I had also considered running a resistor to make the last (outside) two lights come on with the parking lights. But this was before I saw that they made a strip that makes installation a breeze, so I'm going to skip this idea. I don't want all the lights on when the parking lights come on.

I also plan to use 9 lights.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:52 AM
I didn't realize you used the bigger strip and that's the only size they had ill get the bigger one and redo it later but it will do for now LOL

Old 03-31-2010, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by bankrpt
I didn't realize you used the bigger strip and that's the only size they had ill get the bigger one and redo it later but it will do for now LOL
bankrpt, the one I got was 2 12" strips in one package. I used one of the strips for my console box, and the other is the what I used for this mod. I just cut it in half and added wiring to the second half that didn't have wires.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by sharper4
Well dang-it ... I went out and FAILED on step 1. I pry'd the wrong part and broke my mirrror. Ford was nice enough to swap it out for free under warranty.

I learned my lesson of where to pry though so I'll be trying this again today.

I had also considered running a resistor to make the last (outside) two lights come on with the parking lights. But this was before I saw that they made a strip that makes installation a breeze, so I'm going to skip this idea. I don't want all the lights on when the parking lights come on.

I also plan to use 9 lights.

sharper4, maybe I should put a disclaimer at the beginning to read completely and understand before starting.

But I am glad your dealer replaced it for you under warranty. Most dealers would not have done that. Good luck when you try today. Hope all goes well and post a pic when you are done.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by tbraquet
wisonsinFX4- You asked for it you got it. "How to" hidden bumper turn signal led's.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ml#post4158680
thanks man! much appreciated, it'll probably give me something to do if i get bored during spring break....and just a side note: i pried my reflectors off with small flathead screwdriver and they popped right off, i started on the end furthest away from the truck and it didn't take more than 10 seconds each...

Old 03-31-2010, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by wisconsinFX4
thanks man! much appreciated, it'll probably give me something to do if i get bored during spring break....and just a side note: i pried my reflectors off with small flathead screwdriver and they popped right off, i started on the end furthest away from the truck and it didn't take more than 10 seconds each...
Good deal man.
I just realized though, you still will have to take apart the mirror in order to do the wiring.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:05 AM
^^^agreed, but that's not what the guy asked....i guess he'll get a surprise once he starts the mod, "oh yeah, i need to run power to these things in order for them to work"

Old 03-31-2010, 11:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With my '99, I don't have this option, but I would do this in a minute on the new mirrors. Great job!

Suggestion to the OP: Now that you have the LED bumper turn signals, I'd disable the "flash" side of the stock bulb, and use that fixture as a running light only.

That would open you up to using the brighter filament as a day-time running light (with a relay in the circuit to disable when the headlights are on). Alternately, you could just add the brighter filament to the existing parking light circuit, and they'd be "super-bright" running lights.

Andy

Old 03-31-2010, 12:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by r8rone
I was about to do this mod 3 days ago but the weather got the best of me....one question though can you run the lights as running lights and turn signals? Thats what I'm looking for...Looks good!!!
If the stock parking light filament is extinguished when the turn signal is flashing, then yes, you could. With a diode wired in correctly, and an extra wire run to each mirror, you could power the LED's from the parking light wire and from the turn-signal wire.

This is how I wired the brighter filament to be my running light on my VFR. Don't know if the Ford signals operate like this, or not, though.

Andy

Quick Reply: Mirror reflectors turned into turn signals how to w/pics