Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Replace 04-08 fan blower motor resistor EMTC HVAC

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 07:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blower motor

I agree that it might be a loose ground wire, you might also check the motor itself for a "dead spot" in the armature. If the motor stops on the dead spot it won't run but as you drive , normal vibration in your truck or air blowing over the fan "may" cause the motor to turn enough to move off the "dead spot" and run. I do not think its a fuse OR the resistor. Good Luck !

Old 03-11-2011, 11:51 AM
THANK YOU FOR THE PICS!! Now where is the ground for blower motor?

Originally Posted by mjb1032
This is a VERY easy repair....
If your fan isn't working on all speeds, the fan motor resistor is most likely what's faulty.
There are two types, one if you have automatic temperature control, and one if you have manual.
This is the manual one, Motorcraft part #3F2Z18591AA.
One Ford dealer quoted $22.17, another said $36.00

1) Open the glove box beyond it's stop by pressing the right side in, till the rubber stopper clears the side.

2) This is the part to replace.

3) The screws are 8mm.

4) Slide the part out....it's credit card size.

5) Press the center tab to remove the connector from the part.

Reverse these steps with the new part, and you're good to go!

Old 03-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Thank You!

My 1st and 2nd speeds have been out for a while and the dealer wanted $100+ to repair. I bought the part for $30. The total repair from start to finish took only 10 minutes. I really do appreciate you taking the time to post these directions and the detail you put in.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Same blower motor problem I think?

I'm new to this site, I did some searching and found this great post about the blower motor issues. I think I may have the same problem with my 2002 Ford F150 Crew Cab, today I left work and had the air on high then out of the blue it just shut down, meaning the fan part stopped. I looked in the owners manual and checked the fuses and found a blown 40A- the manual showed it as the Heat/Cool fan, I replaced it tried the fan and blew the new fuse? before this happened, I'd say 3 weeks earlier we kept hearing a sound in the vents that sounded like a leaf was caught in the motor but then it went away for a while.
I wonder if the motor has seized up?
any help out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rick
Indianapolis, IN

Old 07-22-2011, 02:43 PM
I just replaced this in my '04 F-150. Noticed yesterday that it would only run on high (#4) setting. I called two Ford dealers, gave them the part # and they both told me $33.64. So went to the closest one and when all's said and done it came to $36.08. Came home, popped the glove box open, removed the two screws, unplugged the old resistor and popped the new one in. All 4 fan settings now work. On the only one you could see it had overheated and blistered. Must have been because of the excessive heat we've had the last few days. Heat index has been in the 100's. Nice to have all 4 speeds again.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by RSmiley
I'm new to this site, I did some searching and found this great post about the blower motor issues. I think I may have the same problem with my 2002 Ford F150 Crew Cab, today I left work and had the air on high then out of the blue it just shut down, meaning the fan part stopped. I looked in the owners manual and checked the fuses and found a blown 40A- the manual showed it as the Heat/Cool fan, I replaced it tried the fan and blew the new fuse? before this happened, I'd say 3 weeks earlier we kept hearing a sound in the vents that sounded like a leaf was caught in the motor but then it went away for a while.
I wonder if the motor has seized up?
any help out there would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Rick
Indianapolis, IN
Rick,
Could be that the "resistor" blistered and some of the heat shrink around the component came loose and blew through your system. Mine had blistered, as I said. Replacement is, as this post says, quite easy. Good luck.

USNavyChiefRet

Old 08-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

No, seriously. Thanks! Glad to have 1 & 2 back for $22.xx at AutoZone.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by jasonsbytes
I just replaced my blower motor resistor (06 XLT) and the problem is still there:

speed 1 works
speed 2 works
speed 3 (stays the same as 2)
speed 4 works

any thoughts?

btw: Autozone ordered the part for me; $22.
That's exactly the same problem I'm having. I just ordered the switch before I discovered this site..

Also, I'm quite amazed that some people can buy the resistor board at auto parts stores. Mine is dealer only I guess.

Last edited by kiddhd1; 08-26-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by kidd
I just replaced my blower motor resistor (06 XLT) and the problem is still there:

speed 1 works
speed 2 works
speed 3 (stays the same as 2)
speed 4 works

any thoughts?

btw: Autozone ordered the part for me; $22.
That's exactly the same problem I'm having. I just ordered the switch before I discovered this site..

Also, I'm quite amazed that some people can buy the resistor board at auto parts stores. Mine is dealer only I guess.
Replaced the switch today and it works fine.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:48 PM
thank god I fell into this thread, I just pulled my resistor about 5 minutes ago before posting here. Tomorrow I will go buy a new one from the dealer and see what happens. Hope this fixes the problem.

I have a 04 tri v8 f150, only my high speed works. all the fuses are good, and the relays.

Will keep you all posted

teddy

Old 10-18-2011, 03:45 PM
I just replaced mine and all works great now... However I just noticed the old one had a gasket on it and I don't remember if the new had one. At the moment I am to lazy to go remove the installed one to check. Does anyone know if I was supposed to transfer the gasket to the new one?

Old 10-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replaced my switch and it now works fine.
Thanks, glad to know it's the switch. How difficult was it to replace?
Also the new resistor makes the speeds "even out" instead of making the 4 position blow twice as hard as the 3 position?

Old 10-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Buddy I just joined as I googled the fix for climate controlresistor and seen you pictures took me longer to drive 10 minutes to the dealer then to fix.. Thank you very much this was a awesome display for the hadicaped mechanic

Old 10-31-2011, 06:49 AM
Originally Posted by BigTeddy
thank god I fell into this thread, I just pulled my resistor about 5 minutes ago before posting here. Tomorrow I will go buy a new one from the dealer and see what happens. Hope this fixes the problem.

I have a 04 tri v8 f150, only my high speed works. all the fuses are good, and the relays.

Will keep you all posted

teddy
How did you make out this was my ticket and it works great,

Old 11-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Guys sorry for the delay, Like it was posted earlier it took me about the 10 mins to go to the dealer and get the part, and took about 2 min's to change, everything worked out, and all the speeds work now. Thanks for this write up thread.

Quick Reply: Replace 04-08 fan blower motor resistor EMTC HVAC