Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

How to swap outer door mirrors on 2004-2008 F150

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an XLT (so, same style mirror, but not PTM caps or turn signals) and wanted to swap my mirrors for a set that are heated. I like the idea of heated mirrors... heck, my POS Chevy S10 had heated mirrors on it, so did my Acura.

My only concern was how much I would have to do to make the heat functional. I imagine it simply needs power and a switch of some type. At least now I have a good step by step guide on removing the door panels and getting to the mirrors.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Tornadom
I have an XLT (so, same style mirror, but not PTM caps or turn signals) and wanted to swap my mirrors for a set that are heated. I like the idea of heated mirrors... heck, my POS Chevy S10 had heated mirrors on it, so did my Acura.

My only concern was how much I would have to do to make the heat functional. I imagine it simply needs power and a switch of some type. At least now I have a good step by step guide on removing the door panels and getting to the mirrors.
Yeah I would like to get these functioning, but I simply don't have the funds to do so right now. If you get around to doing yours make sure to post it up so I have something to look for when I do mine.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by 87fiveoh254
Pat found these mirrors for me for $100 so I couldn't pass them up.
you're welcome by the way. I have another friend in Austin that is looking for a set, but since you hooked me up on the job, i figured you had automatic dibs on them

Originally Posted by 87fiveoh254
They have the turn signal lights on the bottom of them as well as being electric. Might have heat as well, but I'm not sure.
I also remember him saying they have heat too. You just need to get the switches for the mirrors, and the switch for the heat and we can make our own harness. I just made a new harness for the 6 way power seat track i installed on my truck last weak.

My only concern was how much I would have to do to make the heat functional. I imagine it simply needs power and a switch of some type
Yup you are on the right track. The heated mirrors work just like a heated defrost window with the tiny heater wires in the glass. You just hook + and - to them with a switch and you are golden.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:56 PM
man thats nice........ im surely gonna try that some time in the summer for sure, just curious though, if you had manual mirrors and switched power ones then you can still treat the lariat ones like manuals and it wont hurt them or anything?

Old 04-27-2009, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
you're welcome by the way. I have another friend in Austin that is looking for a set, but since you hooked me up on the job, i figured you had automatic dibs on them

I also remember him saying they have heat too. You just need to get the switches for the mirrors, and the switch for the heat and we can make our own harness. I just made a new harness for the 6 way power seat track i installed on my truck last weak.
I'm glad I could help you out on the job. I just wanted to see you hurry up and start modding the new truck.

You'll have to show me what you did with the seats. I'd like to see.

Originally Posted by Kford
just curious though, if you had manual mirrors and switched power ones then you can still treat the lariat ones like manuals and it wont hurt them or anything?
Yes. I can still manually move them around without hurting anything. I shouldn't have to do it often. Right after they were both mounted I got into the truck, closed the door and pushed them to where I needed them.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Sorry to thread jack (again), but are the extendable towing mirrors a bolt on affair? If so, can the power portion of them be plugged directly into my existing power plug, or will I have to get custom?

Old 04-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Sorry to thread jack (again), but are the extendable towing mirrors a bolt on affair? If so, can the power portion of them be plugged directly into my existing power plug, or will I have to get custom?
the mounting is the same on any 04-08 mirror.

you would need to add some wires inside the truck for the power extend part, and a switch, but should be pretty easy install overall. The harness connector has enough blank pins that you can just drop in wire and a spade and it will connect to the other side.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Your turn signals could easily be wired in by simply tapping into your front signals for the time being. I did that on my 97, I bought a set of small signal mirrors and ran a jumper off the front signal. Works wonders, just an idea. Good luck.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:19 AM
this thread saved me from having to pay someone to replace my right side mirror. i bought a set of mirrors from a co-worker. my
OEM's were power. the ones i replaced with are heated and have the
LED indicators. the signals work. now i wonder if i check fusebox , and install switch if heat will work also...

Old 05-11-2009, 11:23 PM

Glad to hear this helped you out.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:56 AM
Nice truck, great pics. What also is fun is replacing the motor for power windows on a 95 F-150. By the way, how about a Tech Article on replacing the whole headlight assembly on, oh, how about a 95 F-150. I hear they are really a BEAR. After 14 years the lens tend to cloud up. Thanks in advance, and you really are a FORD guy. What year is the Mouse in the garage??

Old 05-12-2009, 08:45 AM

Thank you, sir.

The car in the garage is my roommates '65 coupe. 347 with a built C4.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for this How-To! If it wasn't for this I would have had no clue what to do.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:42 PM

Glad it helped you out!

Old 01-03-2011, 12:34 AM
Would this swap work on 2010 xl f150?

Quick Reply: How to swap outer door mirrors on 2004-2008 F150