HiD and Hella Light Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 03:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't remember headlight, but IIRC the bumper was 36"...I was less than 1" below whatever it was.

Also, how would a cop just "add them on"...if he didn't see him as he passed you and pulled you over there is no way he'll find out about them as he's ticketing you.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Originally Posted by blackf150337
....this is an off road light thread (lights that you use off the road)...not headlights..
... and of course you'd never drive on the roads with your off road headlights? That's why there's hundreds of people with their HID kits in just my city of Edmonton? Besides, you'd think with off roading, you'd want good light, not blotchy light that doesn't let you see very much. It's not only illegal, it's dangerous to both yourself and others on the road.

Like I've said in other threads, I've had HID kits from EuroDezigns in my truck. It looked like all the other kits I see on the road. 6000K just looks silly, it doesn't look high end. Absolutely nothing like the HID's I see in BMW's or Acura's, etc. I removed them after a week or so because the light output was terrible and blotchy, the high beams stuck on if my fog's were on, the high beams were not much different than the low beams and I was sick of seeing blue light when I started the truck.

If you want HID's, go for it, but do it right! Buy a projector that is designed for Xenon D1S or D2S (D1S is newer and more expensive, D2S is older and less expensive) bulb and retrofit it into your stock headlights. You'll have a cutoff that will save other driver's from glare and blinding (it's functional, not just pretty). You'll have a crazy wide beam that, in some instances, has lit up 5 lanes of traffic in either direction. You'll also have an intense beam of light that is consistent and not blotchy, with no hot spots.

Take a look at this picture:

Full-sized image: http://skizot.com/gallery/d/3497-1/DSC_0066.JPG

Those red lights are his tail lights (a Lincoln LS retrofitted with Lexus LS460 projectors). The full article is over at HIDPlanet. Way better than any HID kit will provide, and doesn't look ricey.

Originally Posted by Josiah
I can't remember headlight, but IIRC the bumper was 36"...I was less than 1" below whatever it was.

Also, how would a cop just "add them on"...if he didn't see him as he passed you and pulled you over there is no way he'll find out about them as he's ticketing you.
If he's measuring your front bumper, I'd assume he'd need to be in front of the headlights. I'm sure he could notice and add it to the ticket.

Last edited by mtylerb; 04-15-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:31 PM

If you know your have illegal headlights you turn them off and leave the parking lights on in a police stop. I get pulled over often for various reasons and this is the first thing I do in addition to rolling down the windows.

Btw, very nice link, I got stuck looking at his build for an hour.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor
If you know your have illegal headlights you turn them off and leave the parking lights on in a police stop. I get pulled over often for various reasons and this is the first thing I do in addition to rolling down the windows.
Sounds smart, but wouldn't that be really obvious if it's night time? I did something similar when I wasn't wearing my belt and got pulled over, once. Put my belt on as I was doing a U-Turn to stop for the cop on the other side of the road.

Btw, very nice link, I got stuck looking at his build for an hour.
You and me both, skizot did a great job with his retrofit. I can only hope my TL projector retrofit into my '05 F150 looks near that good.

Just to add, a lot of kit providers prey on people's ignorance of HID's. True HID's aren't widely adopted, yet, so people tend to believe that buying a kit will give them comparable results to that of BMW's, Acura, and Lexus, when in fact, the differences (side by side) are quite different. I don't blame people for wanting the same type of headlights, I blame the kit sellers for their not being truthful and preying on the said ignorance. I have no wish to start a flame war, I just want people to realize what they're actually getting, when they install these kits. I am very outspoken in my dislike for these kits as I've been blinded and blinded other drivers with one. I've wasted $250 of my money and don't want to see you guys waste your money on crappy products.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:18 PM

Wait, I didn't even know about this. Any pics of the f150's with the retrofit?

And it's not suspicious turning off your lights at all, you are asked to kill your engine when you get pulled over and headlights will drain a battery mighty quick, especially if he writes that ticket (knock on wood)!

Old 11-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know this is an old thread but it really helped me out in doing this mod! thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: HiD and Hella Light Project