fold in/out mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
fold in/out mirrors

i have an 08 screw with power mirrors and i was wondering if there was anyway you could wire the mirrors so that when you turn the car off they automatically fold in and fold out when you start it??

anyone know?

Old 06-01-2008, 10:07 PM
You would need all the motors, wiring, relays, and other little bits to make it work. I don't know if they ever offered the option OEM on F150s, but if they did then this swap might be possible.

But building it from scratch would take some serious engineering skill.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure he was implying that he already had the 'power fold' mirrors. Alas, as on my '08, they are manually activated. I think he wanted to know how he could wire them to actuate when he turned on and off his ignition. Coincidentally, just today, I discussed this very same thing with a friend.

Hutch
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...cfm?gnum=11782

Old 06-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Former Sponsor
I think if he already had the fold mirrors this would be a large waste of time to wire. Seriously how hard is it to hit the fold button as you are pulling in to where you are parking. If he doesn't have Fold he has a lot of work in front of him. There have been alot of people trying to add the power fold mirrors. It can be done but there is alot of wiring that needs to be done. I think most people opt to wire in their only relays and toggle switches. I'm sure if you change where the power for the mirror is coming from you could get it to fold when you shut the truck off instead of hitting a button.

We carry all of the OEM components if you need them.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:40 AM
that would be cool- like the antennas that go up and down?

Old 06-04-2008, 12:11 PM
its not hard for me to just press the button, but that is the new thing on BMW's and mercedes

it would just be a cool feature to have, because its hard enough to find a spot to park as it is and when i do find one its usually very snug

Old 06-04-2008, 01:39 PM
its hard enough to find a spot to park as it is and when i do find one its usually very snug

Dont even park in those places, its not worth the dings in your paint by people who fling open their doors

Old 06-04-2008, 10:20 PM
You could use a pulse timer to accomplish something like this. Find the circuit that controls the power mirror motors. You need something to activate the pulse timer, maybe the door lock circuit? Tap the door lock circuit to be the trigger for the pulse timer. The output of the pulse timer goes to the motor circuit. Lock your doors, the 12v pulse triggers the pulse timer to send 12v to the mirror motor for XX seconds whatever you set.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Probably possible since you already have power fold mirrors. I know Ls 460's have mirrors that do fold in when it is locked. would be cool.

Quick Reply: fold in/out mirrors