Nice day = More stuff gets painted

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice day = More stuff gets painted

Painted the bed rails and side steps, ran out of painters tape and did not feel like going out to buy more, the rear bumper cover and back window trim will have to wait i guess.

this is the drivers side bed rail before i sanded it or prepped. pretty much all my plastic looks/ looked this bad.

After painting, same bed rail and side steps

Old 05-20-2008, 07:45 PM
WOW... That looks a lot better and what did you do to prep them and paint them with???? And did you use any clear coat or not????

Old 05-20-2008, 07:46 PM
sanded with 600 grit and prepped with "prep all" from autozone. No clear coat, its truck bed coating from duplicolor, im positive it will hold up.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:53 PM
i sprayed the same coating onto my bed rails. it looked awesome but its now flaking off after about a month. i didnt sand, just cleaned and sprayed. im thinking some type of primer would make it stick, will have to try that next time i get some spare time.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:50 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks great! Im gonna do my 04s door handles, tailgate handle, and valance when I buy the new piece. Its not exactly grey, but its getting there and I would prefer a solid black much more. Not going to do my bedrail caps because it currently matches my line-x.

Originally Posted by madmaxwell87
i sprayed the same coating onto my bed rails. it looked awesome but its now flaking off after about a month. i didnt sand, just cleaned and sprayed. im thinking some type of primer would make it stick, will have to try that next time i get some spare time.
That, and not sanding didn't do too well for it. Since its a smooth texture it needs scratched up a little bit.

Quick Reply: Nice day = More stuff gets painted