Vision X bulbs on heads and fogs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vision X bulbs on heads and fogs...

Well I put them in and was asked to write what I thought.
I've never had silverstar so I can't say that they are better, but
they give off a real nice "white" light and clear visibility.
I bought them because they were cheaper.
The bulbs come looking blue, yes, blue (I crapped when I saw them)
can't even see the blue.
Hope it helps those that can't afford the HIDs...like me.

Here are pics.

Night time.

close up to show there is no blue.

with my driving lights on during the day to show how they all match.

Last edited by Lazarus; 05-15-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Suspended
Very nice, glad to see they worked out for ya!

Old 05-16-2008, 12:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can you buy those vision x bulbs just anywhere?? or did you get them off of the internet? i like them, but i dont know if they would make a bulb to fit in my projector or not.....

Old 05-16-2008, 09:44 AM
You can buy them off of ModBargains.com.

I'm thinking about ordering a pair for the headlights and another pair for the fogs. I know the headlights are H13 and the fogs are 9005 (think that's right, someone jump in if I'm wrong). However, I noticed at ModBargains that there are two power ratings of the H13: 55W and 80W. Is one just brighter than the other?

Old 05-16-2008, 10:24 AM
they look damn good

Old 05-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice. I personally can't tell the difference between those and my Silverstar Ultras.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Nice. I personally can't tell the difference between those and my Silverstar Ultras.
I agree 100%. I cant tell either and I just bought my Silverstars. I probably could have saved some $

Trending Topics

Old 05-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Val3ntin0

I'm thinking about ordering a pair for the headlights and another pair for the fogs. I know the headlights are H13 and the fogs are 9005 (think that's right, someone jump in if I'm wrong). However, I noticed at ModBargains that there are two power ratings of the H13: 55W and 80W. Is one just brighter than the other?
I wouldn't get the 9005's as bulbs for your fog lights. You have the round style fogs, which seem to be too small for the heat generated by the 9005's, thus melting your assembly. Get whatever fog light part number is for your truck (9145?.) People with the rectangular style fog lights (2004-2006?) should be OK in using 9005's since there is more room to disperse the heat.

As for the wattage, yea, probably one is more brighter than the other, but I would be a little worried about overloading your wiring system. Plus I think higher wattage lights burn out quicker, but I could be wrong on that.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:00 AM
from what I had read- the variables that affect bulb life are more related to the heat they generate versus the coating on the bulb that gives them that white look. I dont believe the wattage was as much of a concern. That was a tech article I read in which a Sylvania rep explained why Silverstar's may have short life spans

Old 05-16-2008, 11:22 AM
[QUOTE=Lazarus;3209342]The bulbs come looking blue, yes, blue (I crapped when I saw them)
can't even see the blue.

The Blue color is a UV filter to block the yellowness of the bulbs orginal color.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:31 AM
FYI! bulb with a blue coatings

First of all the statement DOT APPROVED is misleading. NHTSA, an arm of the U.S. DOT, does not approve or disapprove MV equipment. It does set Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards for all MV equipment. FMVSS 108 covers lights. Manufacturers SELF-CERTIFY that their product meets the standard.

Several years ago when the aftermarket tail light/lens first became popular, there were many versions and most of them did not comply with FMVSS 108 even though the packaging said legal in 50 states or DOT approved. The products also have DOT numbers imprinted on them. These letters/numbers indicate certain parts of the product are compliant such as rear lens, rear color, rear reflector, side reflector, side lens, side color etc. There were DOT numbers on many of these aftermarket lenses but usually all of the numbers were not present. This indicates that parts of the lens were not compliant. Also see http://fmvss108.tripod.com-this is a NON-government site with lots of info about lights-mostly taillights.

HID headlights-If it has a transformer (ballast) it is an HID light. A true HID light casts a white light (looks like light blue tint). There are cheap imitations which are a plain bulb with a blue coating and these cast a blue light. When I stop a car with suspect headlights I hold a piece of white paper in front of the light. If the paper turns blue, that is illegal and driver gets "Norked" (gets a ticket). See the following NHTSA Interp letter at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...18.ztv.html-It says, "SAE J578c defines white by blue, yellow, green, red and purple boundaries within a chromaticity diagram. Thus, it is possible to design a headlamp that emits a light that approaches the blue boundary and is perceived as having a blue tint but which nevertheless remains within the boundaries that define "white"".

As far as what state you live in it does not matter. All states light laws follow FMVSS 108 for the basic MV lights.

I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT YOU ARGUE WITH ANY POLICE OFFICER WHO MAY STOP YOU FOR THE HEADLIGHTS. You could try carrying a copy of the above NHTSA interp letter with you and politely asking to officer to read the above paragraph (this could backfire). Best bet is to plead not guilty and plead your case at court.

Hope this answers your question.

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41131

Old 05-16-2008, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Les22
from what I had read- the variables that affect bulb life are more related to the heat they generate versus the coating on the bulb that gives them that white look. I dont believe the wattage was as much of a concern. That was a tech article I read in which a Sylvania rep explained why Silverstar's may have short life spans
Ah, I see. I figured more wattage meant more heat, or something.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Val3ntin0

Yeah, got them from Modbargains.com.
I got the lower wattage--I don't believe in overkill--just wanted a nice "white" light that let's me see at night. Played it safe for the housing too.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:45 AM
I put in my VisionX bulbs in and am very pleased.

Would recommend to anyone who wants better light output without going the HID kit route.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:52 AM
lazarus where did you get that hood?

Quick Reply: Vision X bulbs on heads and fogs...