Need advice on HID fogs

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on HID fogs

I want to install HID's in my fogs only. I have heard of melting problems in the round fog lights. Is this true with the HID's? Also where can I get a good kit at a great price. I want to order tonight! Thanks

Old 05-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Seller HID4U on ebay. excellent prices and the fog kits are plug and play. order the 9145 bulbs and you will have no problems with melting.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:30 PM
Your truck looks sweet with the HID's. What bulb temp. did you get?

Old 05-12-2008, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by ScrewinOround
Your truck looks sweet with the HID's. What bulb temp. did you get?
Thanks. I got all 6000k. They are all identical color, my camera doesn't do them justice.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:39 PM
What do you mean by "plug and play" how does it differ from HID4U's bi-xenon kit...I arent those plug and play also?

Old 05-12-2008, 09:41 PM
fyi... hids run both much much cooler and with less voltage then your standard hologen bulbs.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by mgp32
What do you mean by "plug and play" how does it differ from HID4U's bi-xenon kit...I arent those plug and play also?
Yes but it takes a little more work becuase the bixenon comes with a relay to the battery that you set up. It is plug and play, just a little more complicated.

Trending Topics

Old 05-15-2008, 03:56 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but I had previously read some of your posts to gain more insight for my projects, so thanks.

I too have been considering installing HIDs in both my headlights and foglights, but I'm torn between two different solutions. I know that I want 8000k blue headlights and 3500k yellow foglights and I was shopping HID4U's eBay store, but I wanted some input on the headlight installation and what to do about highbeams before buying.

Option 1. If I install a bi-xenon kit in the headlights, is there a way to disable the auto-off for the foglights on highbeam? I don't want to damage the fogs by cycling them on and off quite a bit, plus it'll look good with both on all the time.

Option 2. If I can't disable auto-off I'll run a standard xenon lowbeam headlight and aim it slightly higher to compensate for a lack of a highbeam. Any problems with this (severely blinding people, lack of sight distance)?

If I lived in town I could get away with just the lows and never needing a highbeam, but in the rural areas you kinda need them. But I might be able to suffice by aiming the lows a little higher to compensate, but would that blind the little guys too much (or am I already going to with quad-HIDs)?

Thanks in advance for your help. -Bobby

Old 05-15-2008, 04:29 PM
Ok...I found a link on another post that shows how to provide a new ground jumper to run the fog's on all the time... http://www.landstromsfoundry.com/Tec...Foglights.html

Now, one other issue that I've read about before but haven't found a solution to yet is the sentinel lighting on keyless entry...will lighting the HID's briefly with the keyless entry damage them that much or is it negligible? Any way to shut off the sentinel system (fine by me, don't need it that much anyways)?

Thanks again, -Bobby

Old 05-15-2008, 10:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It will damage your ballasts over time, its best to disable it if you can.

Keep in mind 8000k is going to be pretty blue and your going to lose a little light output. If you went down to 6000k it will give you that bright white with a tint of blue. Looks alot better and cuts down on the ride factor.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:51 AM
I went ahead and disabled the highbeam turnoff on the foglights...what a difference. Funny thing was that on my way into town I passed a dozen cops patrolling or staking out, where normally I might have seen two...but they didn't even pay attention to the combination. Now I need to find the post about the sentinel system.

Yes, I want to have it fairly blue to go over top the bright yellow, but I can't find decent pics of the different temps. HID4U's ebay pages show them but I don't think they're very accurate as they look Photoshopped, so actual end-user advice (like this forum, lol) is what I mostly weigh my decisions on.

My buddy has his HID projectors blue on a Scion xB but he can't remember what temp...they're VERY blue so I was thinking 8000k or probably 10000k, but it has great light output - but that's probably due to the projectors, right?

I want to have a good amount of blue but I don't want a ton of light loss, but I still need a comparison. Does anyone have some good pics or know where to find them? Thanks Jeepin.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:44 PM
10000k looks way to ricey IMHO. I would stick with 8000k (this is the only time you will see me type this) if you want it BLUE.

Manufactures have different kits and are going to lable different colors 8000k. Search around until you find a place that has a color you like and a price that fits your wallet. I know a few guys here have HID4U in 8000k so use the search feature and stalk them out.

And projectors are going to bring the blue out a bit more. To bad they dont have any decent ones for 04+

Old 05-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I agree. I looked at doing projectors and found only one decent pair, but the halos were of low quality and I plan on installing the Oracle halos in a black pair of "harley" headlights.

I know of one guy on here that installed what he thought was 8k's but they're incredibly blue - and like you said, loss of a lot of light - which is why he thinks they sent him 10k's instead. I'm hoping that's the case because if not then 8k's from HID4U are way too blue and dim. I'll look around a little more and see what I can find.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:46 PM
If your not 100% decided on the 3000k fogs and 8000k heads take a look at 6000k all around. They look great and put out ALOT of light. I have 6000k fogs and heads and i couldnt be happier.

Quick Reply: Need advice on HID fogs