Westin grill guard, good or bad

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2001, 06:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Westin grill guard, good or bad

I just wanted to check with some of you to see what you had to say about the Westin Sportsman stainless steel grill guard. I am planning on getting one these sometime in June as the place I work for will be giving us employees a one time 40% off on anything we buy. The regular price we sell these at is 850 doallars, so I could get it for about 510. What I want to know is, are the Westin's frame mounted and are the very strong. If for some reason the Westin's are weak I will more than likely pass this deal up. We do carry Manik, but for some dang reason we can not get the SS manik for my truck. Let me know.

------------------
97 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 4.6L auto, Std cab/Long bed, 3.55LS rear axle, PW,PL, and PM, captian chairs w/arm rests
Sylvania Cool Blue Bulbs, Ford logo hitch and license plate, tinted windows, blackouts front and rear(w/ford logos on front blackouts),ventvisors all around, painted logos on door sills and under hood, 55w backup lights, K&N Filter, custom 4x4 emblems, cup holder/LED mod, 99 F150 Triton V8 emblems, and much more to come

Old 06-04-2001, 11:44 PM
Anybody? Well, it may not matter anyways as I found out today I may not get the friggin discount.

Old 06-05-2001, 09:53 PM
Wink

My westin was attached by brackets to bolts behind the bumper. I think the westins are attached to the frames of the 4x4's though. So if you get a body lift after you put on brush guard, you might have to do some adjusting.

------------------
1998 F-150 XLT Supercab Pacific Green,4.2, 2wd,5spd.,3.55ls
*2" fabtech leveling kit
*3" performance accessories body lift
*4 fabtech shocks
*285/75/16 bf goodrich mud t/a's
*16x8 american racing bajas
*superchip
*k&n filtercharger
*rough country steering stabilizer
*flowmaster 40 series
*westin chrome brush guard and nerf bars
*diamond plate tool box
*illegal 5% limo tint all the way around
*dual exide batteries
*custom soft tonneau
*deflectashield
*4 kc hiliters in front (2 amber and 2 clear and 2 150w in rear)
*1000w stereo by HiFonics
*the all important c.b.
future mods:
*fipk
*traction bars
*spray in bed liner

Old 06-06-2001, 10:29 AM
Has anyone seen the new Westin Bull bars. I really like the look of it. Clean and simple. However their web site shows a pic of a F-250 for the F-150 product. Just wonering how it looks on my truck before I buy. They have the chrome version out now and the black powder coated version is to follow. Can't wait to see what it looks like.

Old 06-06-2001, 10:38 AM
I have the westin sportsman but not stainless, I have black. I am pleased with it so far, the upper support brackets that attach on the top of the frame with a lock nut could be a little stronger but overall I am happy with it. It attaches with brackets that get bolted inbetween the bottom of the frame rail and the tow hook. I paid $370 for mine but once again, thats black.

------------------
97 F-150 Flareside
S/C
4x4 5.4L auto 3.55 LS.

Mods so far:
K Air Filter
SUPERCHIP!
Westin Grille Guard
JVC 12 disc CD Changer
4 (and growing) 165 watt KC Daylighters
This KC thing is getting expensive

Future Plans
Hidden winch
Lift
Roll Bar

http://www.f150world.com/sprhck/

[This message has been edited by sprhck (edited 06-06-2001).]

Old 06-07-2001, 12:21 AM
Thanks everyone for helping so far. No one has discouraged me yet from getting it (that is as long as I get my discount). So it sounds like the Westin should me strong or at least strong enough for me.
Anyone else care to make a comment? What about Smittybilt, Go Rhino, Ram, Map, or anyother grill guard? I know Manik makes a good one with a good high price too (in the chrome or ss series that is).

Old 06-08-2001, 05:27 AM
Heres something I don't understand. Why are these simple tin push bars....... push what??? that folks think are tough. 1/16 of an inch and your gonna pay how much?? Granted it may be a bit less than some REAL push bars and grill guards. I've seen plenty of the westin and the like fail under even the smallest bump.
Reunel makes real bumpers..5-6000lbs tongue weight and 10-20000lbs trailer weight and no those aren't typos........
http://www.reunel.com/
http://www.roadarmor.com/images/SD/CH1a.jpg
How bout these man bumpers...
http://www.roadarmor.com/trucks_suv's.htm
Come on guys, get the real deal.........

Old 06-10-2001, 12:53 AM
Thumbs up

KYFordFreak,

I have the RAM Grill Guard and Brush guards on my 97' 4x4. These are mounted using the same bolts as the tow hooks use. You loosen the rear bolt of the tow hooks, remove the front bolts of the tow hooks, and slide the steel mounting plate between the tow hook and the frame. The rear hole on the plate is slotted so you dont hav to completely remove the tow hook. Then the grill guard is attached to theverticle part of the steel plate using 3 grade 5 bolts per side. No drilling required. Except for mounting the brush guards which are predrilled ready for carridge bolts. Just line them up where you want them and drill the Grill guard.

Bought it from JC Whitney for 255.95 on sale.
reg price is $319.00 for chrome. Much cheaper than all the other ones I looked at not to mention it is frame mounted and ther is no drilling for the Grill guard, which was a bill selling pointe for me.

Here is a pic. Good Luck
http://phildac.www8.50megs.com

[This message has been edited by phildacf150 (edited 06-09-2001).]

Quick Reply: Westin grill guard, good or bad