Where is your AMP?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where is your AMP?

I would like to see some custom amps racks or something that hides that amp and no I do not want to see a pic of your seat since its covering your amp. I am going to build a custom mount or something that will show off the amp.

Old 06-07-2002, 05:49 PM
My amp is in the 3rd drawer down of my dresser.Don't ask,I will tell why.......I got rid of the f150(upgraded to a superduty) and am in the process of building a new box for my sub.When installed it will probably live under the rear seat (out of sight,out of mind).

Old 06-08-2002, 04:52 AM
Question Re: Where is your AMP?

Originally posted by 98STXV8
I would like to see some custom amps racks or something that hides that amp and no I do not want to see a pic of your seat since its covering your amp. I am going to build a custom mount or something that will show off the amp.
I'm confused (maybe just a little drunk). You state that you want to see something that hides the amp, but that you want show off the amp. What do you mean? The reason I ask is because that's exactly what I wanted to do: Hide the amp except for when I want to show it off.

I must admit, when I initially read your post, I felt that you were directing the "no I don't want to see a pic of your seat" comment at me (maybe the weed is making me paranoid). I feel that mounting the amps in the seat back is a perfect spot for them. It looks tight as hell to those you want to show, and you can't see them from outside the truck.

PS - Just kidding about the weed thing

Later............JB

Old 06-08-2002, 05:58 AM
Ok JBinSD,
How did you mount your amps in the seat backs without tearing the seat to pieces!?

Old 06-09-2002, 12:44 AM
Talking

Sandman A C,

The amps weren't really that difficult to install. There's a hard plastic backing on those seats. If you pull the seat cover off, you have easy access to it. There is only a few screws to remove, and then that plastic piece comes off. Just mark where you want to mount the amps, and let 'er rip. After you get the backing off, you can carefully cut out and remove some of the foam padding from the back toward the front. You won't even be able to feel that the padding is missing from the front side. I have sat back there before, and you cannot even tell that the seat has been altered. The seat will be considerably heavier because of the weight of the amps.

The biggest part of the job will be making all of your wiring runs nice and tight. If you notice in my pix, there is a wiring chase coming out of the back of the seats. This has shrink tubing on it to clean it up. I'll try and get a couple of better pix of it. From there it disappears into the carpet beneath the seats. If you're fairly electrically/mechanically inclined, you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Let me know if you have any more questions......JB

Old 06-10-2002, 04:00 PM
or you could...

You could build a sliding amprack to go under your seat. You could put mirrors under the amp to give it some show quality, or accent it with some neons. That is what i was going to do, but I think i will be getting a newer truck before I cna do much else to the one i have now.

Sandman.......you're not far from here(I live close to Center)...bout 45 minutes or so, maybe i'll give you a holla one day and check out your truck.

Old 06-10-2002, 10:42 PM
Zyg
Okay JBinSD, im sold. after doing some planning I realize I have no where to put my amps but in the seat backs and your install looks sweet. I was out the other night trying to figure out how to get the seat cover off. I got the front and rear connecting channels (for lack of a bette word) disconnected so I could lift the seat back cloth up a bit and I got a good view of the hard black plastic that makes up the seat back but I couldnt really see how the front came lose or how the seat cover would lift off, any tips?

Also while im at it, once you cut the hole in the plastic seat back, what did you mount the amp to? Did you fashion a plex tray or something? Also, how did you clean up the cloth edges once you cut the hole for the amp? Did you leave some overhang and fold it under? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

You could build a sliding amprack to go under your seat.
Sloth71, this was my initial thought but on the 2002 supercrews, at least mine, its a 40/60 split with like a 4 point pivot and as the seat back goes down, the seat moves forward and down greatly reducing any underseat clearance so I dont know if that would be an option.

Quick Reply: Where is your AMP?