Anybody use the factory speaker wires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2001, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anybody use the factory speaker wires?

I'm about to install a Kenwood 500.4 amp in my 02 Screw. Will mount it in the storage area behind rear seat on the old hags side. Anybody ever just run the speaker outs back to head unit and krimp onto factory speaker wires or are they just to wimpy?

Thanks

Old 12-04-2001, 03:54 AM
I dont see why you would do such a thing when you have to run wires back to the amp anyhow. Might as well run the wire to the doors instead of to the deck.

Old 12-04-2001, 05:04 AM
you will get better sound quality if you run new wires. That's alot of power to run through those wimpy factory wires. Use a good quality wire, you won't regret it.

Old 12-04-2001, 08:03 AM
Amen. Spending hard-earned money on quality equipment, then re-using stock speaker wire is just plain foolish. Buying all that great equipment, then not following through with good quality wiring is false economy, and a waste of the money you've already laid out. Don't let buying good speaker wiring be an afterthought.

Old 12-04-2001, 12:07 PM
Question

Well, it has nothing to do with the cost of speaker wire. Yikes, it's the thought trying to snake wires into those doors. The fronts look ok, but the back doors look like a b_tch!! How do you get into that plastic thing the seat belt goes into to get them into the door jam wire rubber thingamajiggy? See, I can't even explain it?

Ahhh,,,,, you guys are killing me!!! I came here asking where to buy a prebuilt plug and play subwoofer. Now I have 4 new speakers, taring half my truck apart installing Amps, Woofers, new head unit, new speaker wire!!! I'm beginning to hate this site!!!

Old 12-04-2001, 03:19 PM
Have a plan before you begin. Lay out your wires to make sure you have enough footage. Allow extra for a lot of fudging. Yes. Putting equipment "everywhere" means you're gonna have to tear into your baby. Just the way it is. If you don't have the confidence to do a great job -- and it can be a BEAR of a job -- pay for a Professional installation. It may mean the difference between a home job with some annoying rattles later, or a quiet stock-appearance job done by a pro shop. If nothing else, making friends with one of the Pros gives you access to pointers when you need them. (And i'm referring to bonafide Pro's..........NOT Junior who works in the same shop as a helper part-time after school).

Old 12-04-2001, 07:40 PM
I here ya dood!! Actually, I'm pretty good at it. Just finished installed about $10k worth of electronics on my boat. Just don't feel up to it. Once I get goin, I'm sure I'll bang it right out.

Anyway, I'm going to have to take out the back plastic panel (behind the rear seats). It has serveral round plastic "caps" on it that look like there is probably clips on the other side of them....?? Is that what those are? If so, how do I take em out without breaking anything?

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-04-2001, 11:03 PM
CCarrara, I'm about to embark on the same journey you're starting (have a Polk Momo MM100 and couple of amps coming in the mail). I believe you're right about the caps on the back panel, you may want to email some of the guys posting on the subwoofer board. A couple of guys have stuffed subs inside the back panel of their SCrew (yes inside). They undoubtedly had to remove the panel to do the "surgery". They may have pointers and maybe some pics too. Let us know how your project progresses. I'm interested to see how you get the speaker wires from you amp to the four doors. I too hate running wires, but it'll be a waste to try to re-use the stock speaker wires for a premium setup. Enough said....good luck....post comments/pics as they become available, I'll do the same.

Aloha From Hawaii

Old 12-04-2001, 11:08 PM
The caps come off fairly easily, altho' the first time you try it, you're going to wince. Get your your fingertips behind both sides of the cap and pull STRAIGHT out, being careful not to overflex the panel (and the next clip). The back is held on by pins that these caps cover. Don't forget the bigger nuts along the bottom. BTW, dynamat the rear wall. It's the biggest source of noise in your cab. Some advocate leaving material off the vents in the wall, but I've not had any problems after covering them.
Also, this link may be of help to you someday:
http://www.installdr.com/
(And I'm one of those guys with amps behind the rear panel of their SCrew)

Last edited by sundog7; 12-04-2001 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-04-2001, 11:20 PM
Hey Sundog7, what do you think about pulling the back panel off and leaving it off? I'm thinking about doing that and just recarpeting the back wall. I've got a Polk Momo MM100 coming and I'll need all the clearance I can get since I don't want to stuff the sub under the seat. Also, where did run the wires from your head unit to the amp? My guess is under the carpet right down the middle of the cab.

Thanks in advance....

Old 12-05-2001, 10:07 AM
HIScrew: I think as long as you obtain quality carpeting, and pad the floor well, your install should look fine. Personally, I preferred to retain the stock look as much as possible -- I like how the plastic rear panel sorta melds into the side walls. I also prefer to keep the amps hidden, but if you don't have the room, that's a whole different ball game. I brought my power in thru the firewall where the steering column goes thru. I took my HU wiring back to the rear with it to the amps. The only wiring that follows the centerline, is from the rear wall to my center console -- which is now a JLAudio Stealthbox.

Old 12-05-2001, 01:23 PM
Sundog, thanks for the help!!

Will be bangin it out Friday or Saturday....will post some pics...

Old 12-05-2001, 10:12 PM
CCarrera: Great. And don't make the same mistake I did -- Your whole day will go a LOT smoother if you wait until AFTER lunch before starting in on your beer.

Old 12-06-2001, 11:56 AM
LOL!!! Well, maybe you should've picked a "smoother" beer??

Old 12-13-2001, 11:13 AM
If you just swap out the deck factory wires are fine, but amps will melt them. if you want to get wires in thoes hard to reach places use a coat hanger and tape the wire to the end of it, push through slowly or you can rip the rubber between doors.
Sound deadening the doors makes a huge difference!
do the whole door.

Quick Reply: Anybody use the factory speaker wires?