lanzar amp problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lanzar amp problems

i have a lanzar vibe 1200d monoblock amp and 2 phoenix gold competition 12s rated at 600 rms a piece i just recently hooked up and whenever i turn the volume up past halfway the amp will cut out(the protect and the green light are on when this happens) then i turn the volume down and the amp will cut back on. it only does this when running though i can crank it all the way up with the truck off and it handles it fine. and the amp barely even gets warm so its definitely not overheating. i checked all the connections and they are all great including the ground. i dont have a voltage drop hardly when the subs hit either.i checked the fuse on the power wire and the fuses on the amp and they are all good as well. the truck lights dim a tiny bit but not much when the subs hit. does anyone have a clue what the problem might be???? im completely lost on this one

Old 02-10-2010, 12:52 PM
What is the ohm load of your subs? How are they wired? Sounds like you are wired to less than 2 ohms and the amp cannot handle it.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:33 PM
they are both dual 4 ohm subs i have them wired in parralel down to 1 ohm i checked with a multimeter just to be sure and the amp is 1 ohm stable.. im thinking maybe the amp isnt enough for the subs i have??? cuz the subs can take more theres no doubt about that. i also have a brand new alternater and yellow top optima

Old 02-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Is your gain set correctly? The amp doesn't care what kind of subs you have as long as you remain within the impedance range of the amp. If the amp wasn't enough it just wouldn't be loud. It would not go into protection. I suspect your gain is too high and you are clipping it or those subs are dropping below 1 ohm at times and the amp is not happy.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:50 PM
by gain do u mean the volume on the amp? because even at half volume on the amp it still cuts out when you turn the volume up. and the bass and sub outputs on the head unit are set to 0. i just dont understand why its doing this

Old 02-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by ridinmudddy
by gain do u mean the volume on the amp? because even at half volume on the amp it still cuts out when you turn the volume up. and the bass and sub outputs on the head unit are set to 0. i just dont understand why its doing this
gain and volume are totally different, gain is a sensitivty adjustment NOT a volume adjustment

Old 02-10-2010, 11:23 PM
ohhh well i dont have one of those i just got a subsonic, low pass, phase shift, and volume.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:34 PM
ohhh well i dont have one of those i just got a subsonic, low pass, phase shift, and volume.

it says volume on the amp? wtf? it should say either gain or sensitivty

Old 02-10-2010, 11:41 PM
im not sure if it actually says volume thats just what i thought it was i guess

Old 02-10-2010, 11:48 PM
yeah unless the amp was made my monkeys it shouldnt say volume on it

Old 02-11-2010, 12:07 AM
Yeah, thats the problem. You're thinking of your gain...gain is NOT a volume control. Chances are you may have damaged your amp if you had this cranked up.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by abervintageman4
yeah unless the amp was made my monkeys it shouldnt say volume on it
look buddy im not an amplifier expert i didnt know that wasnt a volume control. quit being such a smartass

Originally Posted by Sundevil2188
Yeah, thats the problem. You're thinking of your gain...gain is NOT a volume control. Chances are you may have damaged your amp if you had this cranked up.
so what exactly is the gain for then? it gets louder as you turn it up so i assumed it was a volume control.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:45 AM
look buddy im not an amplifier expert i didnt know that wasnt a volume control. quit being such a smartass

so what exactly is the gain for then? it gets louder as you turn it up so i assumed it was a volume control.
okay "buddy" its sensitivity, the amps sensitivity is controlled by the HU volume

Old 02-11-2010, 01:46 AM
Its sensitivity. The higher the gain, the higher the sensitivity the speakers. The higher the sensitivity, the more likely you are to get distortion/clipping. When your subs clip...your amp shuts down (protect mode) to help save your speakers from blowing. There is usually no reason for your gain to be past 50%.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:53 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Turn the "gain" or "level" or "sensitivity' **** down to zero. Then turn the volume on your head unit up all the way until just before your speakers distort. Then, with the speakers playing loud, slowly turn the "gain" on your amp up until just before the subs distort or bottom out. Then, turn down the volume of your head unit to a reasonable level.

For now your gain is set. While this isn't the most proper way to set your gains, its a rough estimate and should keep it safe for now. I'd do this before you damage anything.

Oh, and DONT TOUCH the bass boost. Thats asking for trouble.

If your subs are ported, set the subsonic filter to the tuning frequency of your box. If your box is sealed, set the subsonic to 20Hz.

Quick Reply: lanzar amp problems