Need JL Audio advice. Considering 300-4 amp

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2001, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Need JL Audio advice. Considering 300-4 amp

Looking to upgrade stock system in my 01' SCrew. Was considering the JL AUDIO 300-4 amp powering a set of XR625-cs OR XR653-cs components.
Wanted the four channel amp to be able to use the other channels later (Rears or Subs).

Anyone else using JL units?
What are your experiences?
Should I consider Boston Acoustic, MB quart, or other for my component choices?
How are the JL amps perceived by the audio world (are they looked upon as an afterthought by JL Audio or are they a staple of their business)?

Old 04-21-2001, 07:34 AM
JL amps and components are pure quality. I have friends with these and they are great. As far as the others you mentioned, MB Quart are the least fav of mine. Too harsh. Personally I run Diamond Audio Hex s500 which kicks **** out of the MB's. Had I not found a good price on the DA, the JL was definitely the way to go.

------------------
1997 XLT Supercab, 2wd flareside.
Very bright RED.
Exterior mods:
4x4 bumper and fogs.
Stull Billet, bladerunner, Hyper lites, pro-beam covers.
Bugshield, window tints, vent visors.
Pirelli S/T Scorpions, gas shocks, 2 inch drop, slash duals.

Interior mods: Audio System
Clarion 9375, 9300 EQ, 12 disc changer.
Amps: Rockford Fosgate Power 500, Soundstream Picasso.
Sub: Single 12" JL W3D2 under rear seat that was raised 4 inches.
Sats: Front; Diamond Audio Hex s500.
Rear Fill:MA Audio silk tweets.

Old 04-21-2001, 11:38 AM
I don't know that DA kicks the whatever out of MB Quart, it's all personal taste, titanium or silk dome tweeters. And yes, the JLs are very good, especially for the price, the XRs are definately the way to go, but I personally would go audition different sets at a couple local shops before committing. Good luck.

Old 04-24-2001, 02:05 PM
I have a JL 300/4 and 2 JL 8w3's going in my '01 Lightning next week. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 04-24-2001, 02:28 PM
Thumbs up

I agree with Donny. I have a JL stealthbox in my console, powered by a RockyFoz 250a. That's plenty for me. My front stage is DiamondAudio M551 components (5.25's on custom plates; tweets on the doors) powered by a 55w Kicker Impulse amp. Rear fill is Kicker coax 6.5's on custom plates powered by the HU. I've got extremely clean sound, even at low levels. Still, if I'm at a stoplight and the inconsiderate bozo next to me is slamming Snoop Dog with his fuzzy Sparkomatics, I have MORE than enough head room that I can just BLOW him away and drown him out completely.
Donny's got those real nice (and expensive) Hex kevlar units. Primo stuff. But the M-series are also built exceedingly well and are also exceptionally musical.
I had decided on either JL seps, Polks or Infinity's. Then I heard the Diamonds. There was NO contest, and I bought them on the spot. Check them both out.

Old 04-26-2001, 12:34 AM
Smile

I am hopeful of adding that amp, along with a JL console stealthbox to my truck in the future. Pricey as hell, but you know it will be a quality system, plus, I like clean system installation that the stealthbox offers. No bulky box under the seat, no one knows it's there. Buying a big house this summer, so stereo toys won't happen until probably next spring. Hopefully prices will drop on the stealthbox and amp. I know at a place here in Omaha, they want $525 for the stealthbox, NOT including install. They didn't have any price by the JL 300/4 amp, but I seem to remember them saying $500 for that also. There has to be a cheaper place for those things.

------------------
00 supercab, 5.4,4x4, 3.55 rear, Superchip, Luverne black nerf bars, Kenwood kdc6011 HU, Kenwood cd662 changer, Memphis 6.5 front component speakers

Old 04-27-2001, 12:07 AM
Cool

JUMPN: You might want to check out this link:
http://usacaraudio.com/home.htm
Also.....AMEN to the JL! After the install, I had a couple of buds drop by to check it out. One was checking under the rear seat for TWO subs! When they learned what was driving the bottom end, all they did was shake their heads in disbelief. While certainly I won't win any SPL contests, I've got plenty of thump and I'm happy. It was money well spent. Don't put it off if you don't have to. Once it's installed and you hear it for the first time, you'll kick yourself for not having done it sooner.
FYI: I paid $460 (including install) for mine. Some places will bend a little for you. Hopefully, there's one near you.

[This message has been edited by sundog7 (edited 04-26-2001).]

Old 05-02-2001, 09:46 PM
I got the JL XR series 5x7 coaxials installed in my doors and 1 JL12W3 behind the seat. This is one sweet sounding system. I love the sound of the JL speakers. The guys at the shop were raving to the JL rep about how good my truck sounded. I haven't heard the JL amps yet thuogh, but they are kinda pricey.

------------------
1997 F150, reg cab, 2wd, v6
Eclipse 5341R cd player
Eclipse 3242 amplifier
Eclipse 2101 Eq/pre-amp
JL Audio XR 5x7s
JL Audio 12W3 subwoofer

Quick Reply: Need JL Audio advice. Considering 300-4 amp