Can a 2 channel amp power just my 10" sub alone.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2001, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Can a 2 channel amp power just my 10" sub alone.

I want my 2 channel amp to just power my sub. How would i do this? Thanks

Old 02-05-2001, 10:02 PM
MOST 2 channel amps can be bridged to run one channel alone. If you have the manual, it should show which of the + and which of the - to use, and it may even be diagrammed on the amp if you are lucky. If you need specific info about your amp and its capabilities, you're probably better off on a car audio board like www.sounddomain.com

Old 02-06-2001, 07:39 PM
Most 2ch amps I've seen bridged just loop the inboard pos and neg speaker outputs together, and use the outside pos and neg speaker wires as output to the speakers. H O W E V E R, you should check your owners manual, or attempt to find specific info online before you fry it. As Dirt Bike Dave said, usually the amp will have enough info written by the speaker outputs, or on a sticker on the amp, to show which outputs to loop, and which channel to use as input. You should also be aware that bridging an amp doubles the impedence e.g., 2 4ohm channels bridged becomes 1 8ohm channel. Good luck!

Old 02-07-2001, 10:02 AM
Actually most newer amps bridge internally automatically when you hook up the speaker correctly. I believe its L+ and R- on most amps. Also the impedence load is halfed numerically and not doubled. That's why most amps can handle (2)2 ohm stereo loads, but only a 4 ohm load bridged mono. Because the amp will internally "see" a 2 ohm load. Almost all amps these days can be bridged, but some low end amps cannot. It would help to know what amp you're working with to more fully answer the question. Don't worry if it's not the best of quality, we're all friends here. I started out with a nifty Sparkomatic cassette deck with 3-band eq and running some busted Kraco 6x9s and a Sparkomatic Bass Cannon.

Old 02-07-2001, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the help guys. Tiron its a Kenwood KAC 428. I believe thats the number.

Old 02-07-2001, 11:17 AM
Cool

Oh, and here I though you hadn't given the amp info because you had some lower end stuff and were ashamed of your equipment or something. I would think that Kenwood would work with a single sub pretty good. Did I say Sparkomatic, I meant...uhm...oh well I had to start somewhere. Have you got it hooked up yet? I was hoping to help find some online documentation for you, but the kenwoodusa.com site is down now, and I don't know that they have manuals online anyway. If you haven't already, hope you get it up and going soon.

Quick Reply: Can a 2 channel amp power just my 10" sub alone.