remote wire gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remote wire gauge?

i know this is a stupid reason to start a new thread, but i was wondering if someone could giv eme answers about the the remote tyrn on lead.
what gauge wire should i use? I have a piece of 22 gauge speaker wire i was thinking about using. or is it to small? i have some 12 gauge wire, but its really good wire and i would hate to waste it by using it as a remote turn on lead, but i will because these are pretty much my only options without buying new wire. thanks i appreciate it....i am almost done! All i have left is to run the rca's and remote lead, and place the front door speakers.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by benkr16
i know this is a stupid reason to start a new thread, but i was wondering if someone could giv eme answers about the the remote tyrn on lead.
what gauge wire should i use? I have a piece of 22 gauge speaker wire i was thinking about using. or is it to small? i have some 12 gauge wire, but its really good wire and i would hate to waste it by using it as a remote turn on lead, but i will because these are pretty much my only options without buying new wire. thanks i appreciate it....i am almost done! All i have left is to run the rca's and remote lead, and place the front door speakers.
How many amps are you running.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:18 PM
just one an alpine pdx-5
and i just discovered two other minor set backs.
i am gonna have to make my tweeter mount location a little bigger
and the twetter is not goiing to sit flush with the grey speaker grill on it.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:16 PM
You can use 22ga, I think my stinger wiring kit came with a 22ga wire, but I tend to use 16-18ga.

Either way, I would run the remote wire to a relay by the amps, when the remote wire goes live, power from your fuse block will turn on the amps. This is the best way to make sure, no matter what head you're using, the amps will be turned on when the remote wire goes live.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:08 PM
i am using an adapater kit...i rig the jvc unit's wires to it, and it uses an adapter that plugs into the factory plug that went into the factory head unit, so when you sell your truck or whatever, you can stick your factory head back in.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:14 PM
I personally prefer to run them from the deck where possible. That way if your system is off the amp isn't on with no purpose. And there is next to no draw on the turn on. It's only purpose is to throw an active switch in the amp.

And to the OP. A) yes, 22ga should be adequate. And B) you can buy a 50ft spool of 18ga wire (what I personally use for turn on) from advance auto for like $7.99. So I can't imagine that being a real deal breaker..

Old 04-29-2008, 11:12 PM
With one amp it wont matter if its coming off the HU or through a relay.. A relay will actually be too much work and almost worthless because its more for more than 1 amp.

22 ga is fine but 18 is better. Thats all I use.

Justi - Kuruption is wanting the REM wire hooked up to a relay... Its actually a safer way for more than 1 amp.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=Low_e_Red;3187333

Justi - Kuruption is wanting the REM wire hooked up to a relay... Its actually a safer way for more than 1 amp. [/QUOTE]

Ahh. A) I've never even thought of using a relay, but what you say makes perfect sense. I wouldn't think the draw from even two amps would be enough to cause a strain on the remote lead but I'll defer to your experience on that one. B) I was still focusing on the OPs question.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Nah, most people dont understand that a REM wire is only good for about 500mA. A relay takes 150mA of draw. Thats the same device that turns on an amp. Sometimes, they may be a little more heavy duty and take 200mA, the worst I have seen was drawing close to 450mA...

The easiest way to find that out is hook up a DMM in series with a 16 gauge CONSTANT wire to the remote lead (or use the constant supply already at the amp). This will give you a read out on your DMM on how much the REM is drawing. Then decide if you need a relay or not.

Alpine radios need to be watched EXTRA CAREFULLY!!! Any more than 500mA and the REM is shot. (Ive done this before...) Tried to hook up 2 PDX's and a 200A relay (for 2nd battery). And then the REM wire no longer functioned... Had to use acc from there ( working outside of the shop...)

Old 04-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Low_e_Red
With one amp it wont matter if its coming off the HU or through a relay.. A relay will actually be too much work and almost worthless because its more for more than 1 amp.

22 ga is fine but 18 is better. Thats all I use.

Justi - Kuruption is wanting the REM wire hooked up to a relay... Its actually a safer way for more than 1 amp.
True. Didn't realize it was only a 1 amp system, thought it was multiple since that's what I'm so used to

Old 04-30-2008, 10:55 PM
it doesnt matter really...the 22 is fine. Its only drawing a simple 12 volt signal to tell the amp to turn on. There is no hard current draw on that particular lead...

Old 05-01-2008, 01:17 AM
i appreciate all the responses guys. i just used the 22 gauge that i had laying around, and it works just fine. i just thought it would be stupid to go the store and buy some wire for 8 bucks and just use like 7 foot of it. anyway i got all my stuff hooked up, and it sounds pretty good in my opinion as far as doing it myself. i was a nervous wreck when everything was apart in my garage, but all i need to do know is tidy up the wires, and set my 12 disc changer in the middle console, and i will be done. i never realized how warm the 5.25 speakers get in the door. is that normal?

Old 05-01-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by kuruption
True. Didn't realize it was only a 1 amp system, thought it was multiple since that's what I'm so used to
You can really run about 2 amplifiers maybe 3... But thats PUSHING IT!!

Quick Reply: remote wire gauge?