Install Complete - With Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Install Complete - With Pictures

I have finally finished everything with my install, and I must say it was quite an undertaking. Thanks to everyone on this forum who helped out, as I don't think I would have been able to complete it without all the help. Alright, enough of that. Now for some pictures:

I absolutely love the Alpine 9885. The main thing I was looking for in the unit, other than good sound, was the iPod interface, and this unit fits the bill perfectly. I would have liked a double din unit, but just couldn't find one out there that was what I was looking for without having the DVD or Navigation which I wasn't interested in.

The Kicker ZX350.4 on the left is powering the 4 Infinity Kappa 382.7 speakers in the doors, and the ZX400.1 on the right is powering the 1 Kicker 07CVR104 10" sub under the rear seat. I ran all new wiring to the door speakers, which took a good bit of time along with the edead installation on the doors and back wall. I didn't want to use the stock wiring as I had one speaker which wasn't playing at all before the installation and I didn't want to bother troubleshooting where the problem was.

The sub box is under the rear driver's side seat, and it sounds great. Please excuse the very dirty truck floor in the picture. With kids it is impossible to keep the back clean, and I took this picture this morning after dropping the kids off when I went to upload the photos and realized I hadn't taken any pictures of the sub.

Before I go into the overall review of the system I will give the one problem that I do have. When the volume is cranked up and the woofers in the Infinity's hit, I think I am hearing a slight rattle coming from the passenger side front door. I haven't been able to isolate it, and I can't tell if it is coming from something in the speaker itself or if something on the door is rattling. Nobody else seems to be able to notice it, but every once in a while I can hear it if I listen for it. So, I do still have to try to figure that out before it drives me crazy. That is the only problem I have had.

Overall, the system is awesome. It makes listening to music so much better to be able to hear everything as it was intended. The thing that I love is the ability to be able to crank the volume up to a high level without getting any distortion as there was with the stock system. The sub is great, and it is just what I was looking for. I wanted a system with a full sound and good bass, but I'm not looking to shake the cars beside me or even necessarily have anyone outside the truck hear anything. This certainly fits the bill.

For all the rest of the pictures (many more), you can go to my gallery. https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?num=15504

Once again, thanks to everyone for the advice, and let me know what you think of the steup.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Very nice... One thing though... Wire loom! Please.

Other than that, what are your thoughts on your overall sound? Figure out anything with that passenger speaker yet?

Looks good,

Devildog101

Old 01-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by Devildog101
Figure out anything with that passenger speaker yet?
It will probably be a couple of days before I get around to it. I have a lot going on this week so it may take me some time.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:43 PM
looks good. i like that headunit a lot

Cody

Old 01-23-2008, 10:56 AM
i have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind...
first, how and where did you ground your amps? and also, did you buy a multi amp kit? which one if you did?...i am about to undergo the same undertaking as you, and haven't ever done anything lke this and it makes me nervous...but looking at your install, it looks really good, and really helps me kinda see what i need to do.

also the only thing diferent that i will do, is just power the front doors with an amp, and hook up the rear doors to the head unit...'cause it seems that everyone seems to get the best sound is not even hook up the rears at all, but I plan on moving the infinity 6x8's from the front to the rear, and add inf comps...

Last edited by benkr16; 01-23-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
simple and clean install. I like it!

Old 01-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Very nice... One thing though... Wire loom!::

what is a wire loom anyway? Pic of one?

Old 01-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
that plastic wrap that goes around wires, like what you see in your engine bay.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:35 PM
looks nice, far better then the mess I have under the passenger rear seat... lol

Old 01-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by benkr16
i have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind...
first, how and where did you ground your amps? and also, did you buy a multi amp kit? which one if you did?...i am about to undergo the same undertaking as you, and haven't ever done anything lke this and it makes me nervous...but looking at your install, it looks really good, and really helps me kinda see what i need to do.
I grounded to the body. If you look at the pictures you can see the 1/0 coming off the distribution block and it is run straight down to the body. Second, I purchased 2 8 gauge amp kits originally, one single channel, one multichannel from Knukoncepts.com. In the end I only used the 8 gauge from one of the kits because I needed 4 gauge for the other one. Knukoncepts has some good prices on both kits and just wire by itself, and from what others who know more about this than I do have said, it is pretty good quality stuff.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

looks great!

Old 01-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good how long total did it take you ?? I would Recommend painting or carpet on the plywood ..but I do like the way you routed the wires

Old 01-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Old 01-23-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by 01lightingsuper
looks good how long total did it take you ??
I spent about 22 hours total on everything; quite a bit longer than I was expecting, but well worth it.

[QUOTE=01lightingsuperI would Recommend painting or carpet on the plywood[/QUOTE]

I guess its just a matter of what you prefer.

Thanks for the comments

Old 01-24-2008, 02:31 PM
Figure out anything with that passenger speaker yet?
I found the problem. It was the plastic trim that covers the fuses over on the passenger side. I didn't have it lined up just right so it was rattling. Easy fix.

Now all I have to do is sit back and enjoy my new system. Thanks again for the help everyone.

Quick Reply: Install Complete - With Pictures