Newbie ? amp for factory head + 4 Alpines

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 07:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newbie ? amp for factory head + 4 Alpines

I have never been a big car audio guy but since I spend so much time in the truck would like to get some nicer speakers and a small amp to get more power and cleaner sound. Have little kids so need the room inside the Screw and can't have it booming. So want to keep factory head unit and most likely will get Alpine 5x7s after searching on here. But the amp thing is new to me. Never had one before. Thinking a Bluapunkt 2 way amp to factory head unit powering all four door speakers. Anyone here amped the factory head unit? What do you think? Worth it or just buy new speakers and leave it at that?

Old 12-10-2007, 01:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zx12-iowa
I have never been a big car audio guy but since I spend so much time in the truck would like to get some nicer speakers and a small amp to get more power and cleaner sound. Have little kids so need the room inside the Screw and can't have it booming. So want to keep factory head unit and most likely will get Alpine 5x7s after searching on here. But the amp thing is new to me. Never had one before. Thinking a Bluapunkt 2 way amp to factory head unit powering all four door speakers. Anyone here amped the factory head unit? What do you think? Worth it or just buy new speakers and leave it at that?

The factory deck actually has a decent bit of power. 18-24w per channel. Which will handle the S-type 5x7s well. If you decide on changing the deck to an aftermarket, amping is much better that way.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:40 AM
It depends. Im not sure on the numbers, but I know the factory 6 disc does not have as much power as the single cd factory headunit. Do you have the audiophile setup with the sub under the rear seat? If not, there is a guy on here that spliced two aftermarket harnesses together and added an amp to his door speakers. He said it came out really nice. Do a search and you will find that many on this site still appreciate their factory headunit.

I went through the same thing originally but ended up ditching the factory radio. I picked up an alpine cda-9885 and love it.

Good luck either way, I will look for the thread with the guy that did the harness and post it if I find it.

Devildog101

Old 12-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the 6 disc, no factory sub.

So factory may have enough power to give me a nice full clean sound then, eh? Thats unexpected....

Old 12-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Devildog101
, there is a guy on here that spliced two aftermarket harnesses together and added an amp to his door speakers. He said it came out really nice. Do a search and you will find that many on this site still appreciate their factory headunit.
:

I did the same thing to mine. Or rather a buddy did. I'm real happy with it. I have two rca outputs. Only using one at the moment to my sub. From experience, if you get an amp, Type R's sound good. If you go without an amp, the Type S's sound much better. I'm about to replace my front doors with Type S's.

I'm keepin the stock radio til I can afford a nav unit.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by attworth
I did the same thing to mine. Or rather a buddy did. I'm real happy with it. I have two rca outputs. Only using one at the moment to my sub. From experience, if you get an amp, Type R's sound good. If you go without an amp, the Type S's sound much better. I'm about to replace my front doors with Type S's.

I'm keepin the stock radio til I can afford a nav unit.
+1 R's and S's

Old 12-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Devildog101
If not, there is a guy on here that spliced two aftermarket harnesses together and added an amp to his door speakers. He said it came out really nice.
That is actually the correct way to add a LOC.

Quick Reply: Newbie ? amp for factory head + 4 Alpines