tri mode amps to power 4 ohm co-ax and 8 ohm sub?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 02:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tri mode amps to power 4 ohm co-ax and 8 ohm sub?

Hey, so I have to buy a new amp for my sub because the old one is shot.

The sub is a JL 12w1 at 8 ohms. I also have a set of 6x9's in boxes that I use when tailgating. Previously I had run one amp for my sub and one amp for my 6x9s.

Can I use a tri-mode 4 ch amp to power all of these? ie. bridge 2 channels for the sub and then use 2 channels for the 6x9s when I tailgate? I'm not sure if you can mix impedence on the same amp like that.

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2007, 02:39 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by davewvu86
Hey, so I have to buy a new amp for my sub because the old one is shot.

The sub is a JL 12w1 at 8 ohms. I also have a set of 6x9's in boxes that I use when tailgating. Previously I had run one amp for my sub and one amp for my 6x9s.

Can I use a tri-mode 4 ch amp to power all of these? ie. bridge 2 channels for the sub and then use 2 channels for the 6x9s when I tailgate? I'm not sure if you can mix impedence on the same amp like that.

Thanks!
Sure - they're separate discrete output stages.

On impedance: realize the impedance looking back in toward the amp is very, very small - fractions of an ohm. So as long as you do not exceed the specs on loading, yer good. Folks fret way to much about impedance, IMHO....

bubba

Old 11-07-2007, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Sure - they're separate discrete output stages.

On impedance: realize the impedance looking back in toward the amp is very, very small - fractions of an ohm. So as long as you do not exceed the specs on loading, yer good. Folks fret way to much about impedance, IMHO....

bubba
That's the answer I was hoping for. Thanks!!!

This also makes it so that I can buy another sub amp at some point. Then I'd use the 4 channel for the regular speakers and just put a switch to change from the door speakers to the 6x9s for tailgating. Leaving the sub on it's own amp.

Last edited by davewvu86; 11-07-2007 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:36 PM
One thing to remember when using an amp in stereo/mono simultaneous mode is you loose any crossover ability. You will have to set up a passive crossover system or all speakers hooked to the amp will play full range.

Quick Reply: tri mode amps to power 4 ohm co-ax and 8 ohm sub?