Need advice/help on this set-up.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need advice/help on this set-up.

I just put an order in for this audio equipment and need some tips and advice on the best way to utilize it. I also need to purchase an amp as I haven't decided on which one and how to even use it correctly. I am a novice with amps but have had experience with speakers and head unit installs. This stuff has been purchased and is not up for debate, I just need help on how to best set it up and utilize it, location of crossovers, amp, wiring, deadening, etc. :o

Head unit:JVC KD-PDR50
front speakers: INFINITY 6810cs 6x8 components
rear speakers: INFINITY KAPPA 682.7CF
Q-Logic sub 10" box w/ INFINITY Perfect 10.1 sup
Undecided on the amp so suggestions would be appreciated

Old 02-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by Biteyahard
I just put an order in for this audio equipment and need some tips and advice on the best way to utilize it. I also need to purchase an amp as I haven't decided on which one and how to even use it correctly. I am a novice with amps but have had experience with speakers and head unit installs. This stuff has been purchased and is not up for debate, I just need help on how to best set it up and utilize it, location of crossovers, amp, wiring, deadening, etc. :o

Head unit:JVC KD-PDR50
front speakers: INFINITY 6810cs 6x8 components
rear speakers: INFINITY KAPPA 682.7CF
Q-Logic sub 10" box w/ INFINITY Perfect 10.1 sup
Undecided on the amp so suggestions would be appreciated
well since you went all infinity why not get an infinity amp as well?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-m3DbbLS...20&I=108R5761A

Old 02-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Impact9
well since you went all infinity why not get an infinity amp as well?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-m3DbbLS...20&I=108R5761A
Yeah funny thing is that I swore off Infinity after I blew some speakers years ago but after doing research they rate pretty well for the money so I decided to give them a shot again. Which infinity amp would you suggest to run these speakers?

edit: nevermind I just clicked your link thanks!

would you suggest running all the speakers from the amp or just the sub and the components?

Old 02-05-2007, 05:49 PM
What about this Phoenix, I like the price but not sure of the quality?:o
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...Product_ID=446

Last edited by Biteyahard; 02-05-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:33 PM
I haven't heard anything good about PG. A few recommendations to find something better but nothing that says "Run and don't look back".

Hifonics gets a lot of recommendations but they are about $100 more

Seriously speaking for a moment if there is any chance of you upgrading equipment in the near future I would get 3 amps, 1 for the fronts, 1 for the rears, and 1 for the sub. Problem is the speakers you bought are really low powered so any real suggestions that anyone here is going to make for a "down the road" amp is going to be way over powered for your current setup. Having that over head in power isn't a bad thing if you can avoid blowing your speakers. That's why I suggested just getting a nice 5 channel amp that better matches your current setup.

I have the JBL GTO II 755.6 5 channel amp and it's damn impressive. It cost about $310. If I wasn't constantly upgrading it would of stayed in my truck forever.

I think the Infinity, Hifonics, and JBL amps are all pretty good.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:47 PM
thanks again for the great info dude. I am also seeing a nice JL audio e6450 6 channel, any info on this?

Old 02-05-2007, 08:56 PM
thanks again for the great info dude. I am also seeing a nice JL audio e6450 6 channel, any info on this?
Look at this article:

http://www.carsound.com/articles/pub...icle_268.shtml

JL is a very good company.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Impact9
Look at this article:

http://www.carsound.com/articles/pub...icle_268.shtml

JL is a very good company.
thanks again for the info

Old 02-14-2007, 08:55 PM
OK tomorrow is my last day of eight straight 12+ hour days so this weekend Iwill be tackling the first parts of my install. I want to do it right the first time so please hit me with suggestions and pointers on the enitre set-up. I am planning on deadening, probably foaming, also need tips on cables and connectors as well.

thanks in advance.
Brian

Old 02-14-2007, 08:57 PM
I will do research but I'll need tips on how many layers of deadening, how many square feet for an 06 crew, cable gauge, any little things that you think I may not want to forget.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bite, I ordered 200 square feet and had half a roll leftover, check my thread to see what I did with the rest of it and as far as wire gauge I'll never run anything less than 4 gauge, as matter of fact I upgraded to 2gauge when I did my deadening.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by jmt0645
Bite, I ordered 200 square feet and had half a roll leftover, check my thread to see what I did with the rest of it and as far as wire gauge I'll never run anything less than 4 gauge, as matter of fact I upgraded to 2gauge when I did my deadening.
So is that guage just for the amp? I was thinking thinker guage for the amp and sub, then a little smaller for the speakers. I have got everything except the wire kit and cables. I am now off for the next three days so hope to get some of this done.

As far as the edead, I see some on ebay, 120 sqft for $130 dlvd. Do you have a better price anywhere?

Old 02-15-2007, 11:25 PM
So is that guage just for the amp? I was thinking thinker guage for the amp and sub, then a little smaller for the speakers. I have got everything except the wire kit and cables. I am now off for the next three days so hope to get some of this done.

As far as the edead, I see some on ebay, 120 sqft for $130 dlvd. Do you have a better price anywhere?
yes that is for the amp, I used 12 gauge speaker wire ( monster cable ) for the subs. For that price, buy it NOW. that about $0.75 a square foot +shipping which is less than I paid

Old 02-15-2007, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by jmt0645
yes that is for the amp, I used 12 gauge speaker wire ( monster cable ) for the subs. For that price, buy it NOW. that about $0.75 a square foot +shipping which is less than I paid
What guage are you running to the door speakers? I know some people that just keep the stock wiring but I will be running them from the sub anyway so I will need new speaker wires. I was thinking 12, but 18 may be enough huh?

I'm used to running home audio/video so my experience with auto is limited.:o

Old 02-16-2007, 08:49 AM
What guage are you running to the door speakers? I know some people that just keep the stock wiring but I will be running them from the sub anyway so I will need new speaker wires. I was thinking 12, but 18 may be enough huh?

I'm used to running home audio/video so my experience with auto is limited.:o
For the speakers, I used the stock 14 gauge and adapted the harness plug to fit my pioneer speakers. for you I'd say ~14 gauge as well.

Last edited by jmt0645; 02-16-2007 at 08:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Need advice/help on this set-up.