Amp and sub suggestions to finish my system on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp and sub suggestions to finish my system on a budget

I could use some help to finish my system.

I have this installed
Alpine IVA-W200
Alpine SPX-177R,
Alpine SPR-57LP
Alpine KCE-422i iPod Control
PAC SWI-ALP - Steering Wheel Control Interface
PAC TR7 Bypass
Black 30GB Ipod

Suggestions?

Old 10-20-2006, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by anaheim_drew
I could use some help to finish my system.

I have this installed
Alpine IVA-W200
Alpine SPX-177R,
Alpine SPR-57LP
PAC TR7 Bypass
Black 30GB Ipod

Suggestions?
What's your budget? What box? How much mounitng depth? All the usual questions.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:35 AM
Originally Posted by brypink2
What's your budget? What box? How much mounitng depth? All the usual questions.
Yeah I know the drill....

Budget? Hard to answer because I dont want to cut to many corners and later be unhappy replacing something that was wrong from the start. I am also not ready to enter your world of the high end elite class of products. (only due to cost)

My goal is a quality sounding system with my
front componants receiving the required power to maximise their potential. Single of dual box with downfire sub or subs and no seat lift

Complete use of all hu functions if there is a benefit using alpine amps

Old 10-21-2006, 12:42 AM
Suspended
Talking

Well, you may want to start with just a 4-channel amp and 1 set of quality components for the front (To say what brand is opening a can of worms, AND it seriously varies by person/set of ears greatly. I personally have tried top-end JL, upper mid range MB Quart, Infinity, and Polk (db, ex, and MOMO series) and the Polk MOMOs were my personal favorite.) They are very loud, very clean, and very clear. They are considered a softer, more musical speaker...not harsh high-range that makes you cringe. and the best part? You can get them CHEAP brand new from many sellers on Ebay.

I ran one set of 6x9s "3-ways" MOMOs in my Ranger that had 3 JL 12w6v2s sitting behind them and people would comment on how loud and clean it was before they said anything about the bass. Great speakers, especially for a budget.

Anyway, I would go with just fronts (which you may end up liking) and then have the truck pre-wired for rears when you have it apart, and also have it wired to support a sub amp and the 4 channel amp. Start with just a 4 channel and no sub, and then later when you have the cash add in a sub and amp/box to finish the system. this way you dont have to cut corners, and you can enjoy some very loud clean music in the meantime until you are ready to drop some more cash for added bass.

But hey, that's just how *i* would do it

Old 10-21-2006, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
Anyway, I would go with just fronts (which you may end up liking) and then have the truck pre-wired for rears when you have it apart, and also have it wired to support a sub amp and the 4 channel amp. Start with just a 4 channel and no sub, and then later when you have the cash add in a sub and amp/box to finish the system. this way you dont have to cut corners, and you can enjoy some very loud clean music in the meantime until you are ready to drop some more cash for added bass. But hey, that's just how *i* would do it
Took you long enough to post
O.K,
I am cool with my alpine components in front and coax in the rear. Help me understand the wiring aspect for adding a future amp to support the future sub... That would be ideal

Would the 4ch amp be installed and power just the fronts and the hu the backs?

I sent you a reply on the email you sent about the bumper that day did you get it?

Old 10-21-2006, 02:03 AM
Suspended
Talking

Well, basically just run the heavier gauge power and ground now (ie overkill for the 4 channel, but perfect when you add another amp) you could probably use 2 gauge, but 0/1 gauge would be the best. Just use a heavy duty distribution block that is located right next to the amp(s) so that you can bring the power in from under the hood now, and then just run some 4 gauge out to your 4 channel from the distribution block (with the 0/1/2 gauge coming into the other end of it).
Then, when you do add your subwoofer and sub amp you just attach a short 4 gauge wire from that distribution block and run it from there to the amp. It makes it plug and play down the road, basically. Also, Decide how you want to run your audio signal. You can run a single set of RCAs from the head unit back to the amps, and then use a short cable and use an output on the first amp, and the input on the second amp. This saves having to buy two long expensive RCas, AND you can use the electronic crossovers in both amps to really filter out the bass. (I would run from the deck to the 4 channel for now, and then later switch it to the sub amp first, using the filters and then go into the 4 channel).

the only downside to a single RCA from the headunit is that you can't use subwoofer adjustment controls in some instances.

Aside from that, it's pretty simple. Hope I didn't confuse you too much.

As for the email, I replied a while ago, did you get it? I basically said that they did have to remove the top plastic piece, and they broke a few clips but re-attached it by using NASA grade epoxy. Worked like a charm

Old 10-21-2006, 03:13 AM
So, let me get this straight...you already have what's listed above installed and running? You just need a sub(s), box and amp? Correct?

Can you make your box or are you gonna buy a pre-fab? The sub I'm ranting and raving about right now is the Stereo Integrity BM 10". It cost $240 shipped from an authorized dealer. It has a mounting depth of 5.5" and can handle 600 watts (more if it's anything like my MAGs). It's the little brother of my MAGs. 5.5" of mounting depth will fit in those prefab boxes. Matter of fact, I have a prefab box you can have. I'm moving to Temecula after the first of the month...drive down an get it. It needs terminal cups, but those are $2 at parts express. Anyway, if not the BM...look at an IDQ...those sound great, not as powerful though and I think about $150 IIRC.

Heck, I'd do the install for you...haven't done anything in a while. lol

Trending Topics

Old 10-21-2006, 04:08 AM
Suspended
Talking

Hey you want to help me install my system in my focus? lol... I've had the whole system longer than the car...I was planning on installing it all right away, and now 4 months later I am still bumping stock tunes. heh

Old 10-21-2006, 04:10 AM
So, let me get this straight...you already have what's listed above installed and running? You just need a sub(s), box and amp? Correct?

Can you make your box or are you gonna buy a pre-fab? The sub I'm ranting and raving about right now is the Stereo Integrity BM 10". It cost $240 shipped from an authorized dealer. It has a mounting depth of 5.5" and can handle 600 watts (more if it's anything like my MAGs). It's the little brother of my MAGs. 5.5" of mounting depth will fit in those prefab boxes. Matter of fact, I have a prefab box you can have. I'm moving to Temecula after the first of the month...drive down an get it. It needs terminal cups, but those are $2 at parts express. Anyway, if not the BM...look at an IDQ...those sound great, not as powerful though and I think about $150 IIRC.

Thank you for the offer I hope you feel the same after I drain you of your av knowledge

I have this installed and running
Alpine IVA-W200
Alpine SPX-177R,
Alpine SPR-57LP
PAC TR7 Bypass
Black 30GB Ipod

Questions for you
1. When is the big 3 upgrade needed?
2. Does Dei make any amps worth considering?

Old 10-21-2006, 04:14 AM
Thank you for the offer I hope you feel the same after I drain you of your av knowledge

I have this installed and running
Alpine IVA-W200
Alpine SPX-177R,
Alpine SPR-57LP
PAC TR7 Bypass
Black 30GB Ipod

Questions for you
1. When is the big 3 upgrade needed? NOW
2. Does Dei make any amps worth considering? If you can find a new one and not a refurb. Still, I would steer clear of them if you can. They have problems of burning up.
I don't mind...whats knowledge if you can't share it.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:16 AM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
Hey you want to help me install my system in my focus? lol... I've had the whole system longer than the car...I was planning on installing it all right away, and now 4 months later I am still bumping stock tunes. heh
Hell yeah I don't mind, but I'm moving to Temecula on the 1st.

Old 10-21-2006, 04:27 AM
I don't mind...whats knowledge if you can't share it.
Its great untill those who you are trying to help and knew nothing yesterday are experts today after reading a few paragraphs on the internet

1. Is there anything at Circuit City that you would use in a system if you were able to get a discount and deal?

2. Would there be any benefit to using an alpine amp with my alpine hu? Or are the benefits reduced due to other products priced less and offer more?

3. Which Optima are you using and what would you consider a deal on one?

4. If you say Dei amps burn up, issue closed. I love my family more than saving money and avoiding danger..

Old 10-21-2006, 04:40 AM
Its great untill those who you are trying to help and knew nothing yesterday are experts today after reading a few paragraphs on the internet

1. Is there anything at Circuit City that you would use in a system if you were able to get a discount and deal?

2. Would there be any benefit to using an alpine amp with my alpine hu? Or are the benefits reduced due to other products priced less and offer more?

3. Which Optima are you using and what would you consider a deal on one?

4. If you say Dei amps burn up, issue closed. I love my family more than saving money and avoiding danger..
1. Is there anything at Circuit City that you would use in a system if you were able to get a discount and deal? I really don't know...I'm not a big fan of "main stream" car audio. Alpine is good...not impressed with their speakers/subs (no offense). I like their HUs...and the older amps, but the newer ones are good.

2. Would there be any benefit to using an alpine amp with my alpine hu? Or are the benefits reduced due to other products priced less and offer more? With that W200, yes. They have a 5 channel amp that does it's own DD, DTS, etc. decoding. It's just not too powerful. With that W200...really try to save up and get the H701 processor, you'll be happy you did. You'll have to trust me on this one...it'll take all night to explain why.

3. Which Optima are you using and what would you consider a deal on one? I use a yellowtop...the 34/78. It's a deep cycle and you can drain it to nothing, give it a charge and it'll be find. Some use a redtop...it's more of a starter battery. I just like the deep cycle better. I paid $150 for mine...that's a decent price.

4. If you say Dei amps burn up, issue closed. I love my family more than saving money and avoiding danger. Just the amp burns up...the circuits inside. Never heard of the whole truck going up in flames.

Old 10-21-2006, 05:00 AM
1. Is there anything at Circuit City that you would use in a system if you were able to get a discount and deal? I really don't know...I'm not a big fan of "main stream" car audio. Alpine is good...not impressed with their speakers/subs (no offense). I like their HUs...and the older amps, but the newer ones are good.
Non taken... Remember, I asked for your help so dont sugar coat anything
2. Would there be any benefit to using an alpine amp with my alpine hu? Or are the benefits reduced due to other products priced less and offer more? With that W200, yes. They have a 5 channel amp that does it's own DD, DTS, etc. decoding. It's just not too powerful. With that W200...really try to save up and get the H701 processor, you'll be happy you did. You'll have to trust me on this one...it'll take all night to explain why.
Alpine 5channel and H701. Would this also blend in with 2 headrest monitors? 2 year old son will soon need entertainment
3. Which Optima are you using and what would you consider a deal on one? I use a yellowtop...the 34/78. It's a deep cycle and you can drain it to nothing, give it a charge and it'll be find. Some use a redtop...it's more of a starter battery. I just like the deep cycle better. I paid $150 for mine...that's a decent price.

4. If you say Dei amps burn up, issue closed. I love my family more than saving money and avoiding danger. Just the amp burns up...the circuits inside. Never heard of the whole truck going up in flames.
I guess I have to get busy... I can find the deals and negotiate good prices as long as I know what I am looking for and what a good, average and bad price would be

Old 10-21-2006, 01:45 PM
i agree with bry, get the processor

im really not a fan of alpine's woofers. i like their speakers though (because i also own a set of X's lol). i can definitely see their flaws and where i can buy better components to improve but its not like i have hte money

you can get a separate alpine monoblock and 4 channel, that would be easiest if you are looking to buy through circuit city.

or you can get the memphis belle

Quick Reply: Amp and sub suggestions to finish my system on a budget